Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTX1996

Multiple teleporter points on a lowering floor?

I am currently working on a "The Descent" type-map, and I was wondering if there was any way to have multiple teleporters in a sector that's moving down? I do know the basics of Doom mapping, and I know how to create teleporters and join seperate sectors.

Right now, I have two teleporter points set up - one at the northern and another at the southern part of the room. However, I can only get monsters to teleport in through the northern teleporter - the other one doesn't seem to work.

I take it I might not be able to do what I want to do, and I can only have one teleporter set up in the same sector as the lowering floor?

Unless you have 2 sectors with different tags lowering, you'll only be able to have the 1 teleporter working: having 2 destinations in one sector does nothing. It is possible to do in ZDoom though, but that's another can of worms entirely.

You can split the lift to 2 sectors with 2 different tags, and place a teleport destination in each of them. You must make sure that they start lowering at the same time. This is the problematique part.

In Boom, you can use a dummy sector outside the map with a conveyor belt and a voodoo doll that will (at a certain moment, setup by yourself) cross 2 walkover linedefs to make the lift sectors lower.

In vanilla, you can use a row of walkover lines close to each other, and make each of them lower one of the 2 sectors, and set the same tag to every other line. I hope these illustrations will make it clear:

The more times you split your moving floor the louder the moving sound will get.

40oz said:

The more times you split your moving floor the louder the moving sound will get.

Sound comes from the center of a sector, so you can avoid that by merging the additional sector(s) with far-away dummy sectors so they'll be effectively inaudible.

^ can be remedied by joining all but one of the sectors with dummy sectors such that the midpoint lies outside audible range. I'm not sure if that sound behavior is port-specific though.

edit: oh, essel beat me to it :p

I think ZDoom changes the behavior by default, to have sounds come from the part of the sector nearest to you, but you might be able to set a compatibility flag for itin ZMAPINFO.

The default Doom behavior is to teleport to the first teleport destination thing found in the tagged sector, so there is effectively only one working teleport destination per sector. You can work around that by having several sectors, as explained.

You can also try to use advanced source port features. For example, using Boom features, have a line-to-line teleport. Then you can draw a big line across your sector, and on the monster box's side there's a line type 265 or 267 with the same tag as the line in your sector. The middle of it is occupied by blocking items (such as candelabras or whatever) so that monsters can only cross the line in the areas corresponding to the south and north landing pads. The drawback is that the monster teleports will be silent.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Teleporter
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Linedef_type#Teleporters

Another possibility with ZDoom features this time consists in using the Hexen teleport behavior. To do that, you need your map to be in Hexen format or UDMF because you need to set a TID on the teleport destinations and set your teleport linedefs accordingly.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Teleport

scifista42 said:

You can split the lift to 2 sectors with 2 different tags, and place a teleport destination in each of them. You must make sure that they start lowering at the same time. This is the problematique part.

In Boom, you can use a dummy sector outside the map with a conveyor belt and a voodoo doll that will (at a certain moment, setup by yourself) cross 2 walkover linedefs to make the lift sectors lower.

In vanilla, you can use a row of walkover lines close to each other, and make each of them lower one of the 2 sectors, and set the same tag to every other line. I hope these illustrations will make it clear:

*Multiple images*

That actually worked! Thanks for the help, i'll be sure to add you to the credits for helping me with this!

Also, thanks to everyone else for the replies as well! I honestly expected like, maybe one reply? I didn't think this would get that much attention, seeing as it's a rather simple (and dumb) question.

I remember doing this in Spookhouse (1monster) to make something like the end of Dismal Oubliette in Quake. I used the multi-line method since it was vanilla based, so that does work.

I think you can also stack multiple walk over lines, and they will all activate simultaneously. Just don't merge their vertices/allow them to become one line.

Jimi said:

I think you can also stack multiple walk over lines, and they will all activate simultaneously. Just don't merge their vertices/allow them to become one line.

Yeah.

If you don't want to stack linedefs and you are doing boom, rather that have one conveyor/voodoo doll, have two, and set the trigger to remove an obstacle so the trigger simultaneously.