Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

"What was your name again?"

Why is this such a difficult question to ask? Particularly when its a friend of a friend of a friend who you were introduced to in some kinda social gathering and you didn't have a personal one on one conversation with. Naturally we forget names of people who haven't yet had a significant impact on our lives unless we practice some backward bending word association game with their names in your head to make it stick in your long term memory. So its worth asking, are you ever offended or made uncomfortable if someone asks your name more than once in your lifetime? Honestly I'm flattered that someone cares enough to get confirmation on what my name is. Anybody else feel differently?

My name isn't popular in my country, it means that there are not so much people with my name => it means that people can remember my name because my name isn't hard to pronounce, it's just unpopular.

And when someone asking me more than 1 time I just think that he has really bad quality of memory (:

I think the thought process is usually "So and so apparently doesn't think I'm important enough to remember my name." Humans are self-absorbed creatures, and we'd all like to be stars of our own show. On the flip side, no one wants to burst that bubble; probably because no one would want someone else to burst theirs.

But really you're probably right 40oz. It's probably better to just be up front and say "You know, your name has slipped my mind, can you refresh my memory?" Honesty goes a long way when accompanied by a little tact!

I don't take issue with people forgetting my name, and if I get the feeling the other guy might be offended I forgot his, I go at length about my terrible memory and apologise profusely before he has time to get a word in. This hasn't failed me so far.

I try to refrain from asking "what was your name again?" to people simply out of not wanting to disrespect them because they may think I'm not interested or paying attention to them (which is usually not the case). Although, if timed right, I don't find it a big of a deal.

When my peers ask me that question, I don't care about it and I tell them my name. But if one of them remembers my name I compliment them for it (I'm not at all a popular kid so most people around me would forget my name).

I have a really bad memory when it comes to names. So I don't mind if people forget my name.

My name is Walker, so I usually introduce myself as "Walker, like Texas Ranger". People never forget my name.

Piper Maru said:

That name again is Mister Plow.

This is Maxx Power. And that's the end of that chapter!

I almost never refer to people by name because of similar problems. Just wait when they'll be looking at me and then start talking, something like that.

I think people probably worry more about asking a person to remind them what their name is than the person would worry about being asked.

It's narcissistic to expect everybody to remember who you are for no reason. I usually take it as a sign of respect when a person puts their ego on the line to ask/confirm my name, vs. when a person uncomfortably avoids using my name in conversation because they don't want to admit they've forgotten it.

For whatever reason, many of the people I deal with on an occasional basis seem to remember my name better than I'd ever expect them to, and it's more often me having to reconfirm names. Actually, it's even more common that I'll recognize a person and remember their name, but the where/when/why details of our last interaction will escape me.

While I was dating prolifically a couple of years ago, I met a lot of ladies, most of whose names have faded out of my memory at this point. I blame the parents of my generation for popularizing so many forgettable names. If you bump into someone like that, you can preempt some of the awkwardness on both sides by offering your name first with a handshake ("Hey, I'm [name], I think we [did whatever]."), and the other person will usually respond with their name in kind.

I met someone on Saturday with a really unique name. Then later that night I saw a random episode of Deep Space 9 where Worf mentioned the futuristic name of a child in a story. Sure enough. Same name. Mind blown. The age puts them in the same time frame, but I doubt someone would hear Worf mention a name and then say that's what we'll name or kid. Thanks Worf!

I tend to forget peoples names time and time again, so I don't think i'm being rude if I ask that person, "what was your name again?"

geo said:

I met someone on Saturday with a really unique name. Then later that night I saw a random episode of Deep Space 9 where Worf mentioned the futuristic name of a child in a story.

I've met someone who's first name is Kira and their middle name is Nerys and (pretty obviously) they were indeed named after the DS9 character.

Hellbent said:

Pavera wins the thread.

Maybe but as a non-US resident, I had to google before I got the reference. :P

I tend to forget names with frightening consistency. Even upon the initial introduction I tend to ask them to reiterate a few times because my hearing is so bad. While I have no beef with people asking me to refresh them on my name whatsoever, I realize the social stigma behind forgetting a person's name, regardless of actual history between the two.

As a result, I tend to avoid referring to individuals by name when I forget them. I mean, eventually somebody has got to say it, right? That or I ask them for their last name and/or how to spell it. Usually goes off without a hitch. I think.

Everybody I correspond with in the real world remembers my name because I keep selective company. I'm a better character in a small group situation.

The only thing I find awkward is when someone gets my name wrong without asking, and I don't want to correct them for fear of being perceived as self-important. And yes I know that makes no sense, but it's just the way I'm wired.