Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Paralax skyboxes

I've got a suggestion for a useful extension of the skybox portal feature. I know you're busy with other things, I'm just leaving this here for your future consideration.

How about have it move with the camera, but at a mapper-set scale multiplier (less than 1.0, obviously) and offset? Half-Life 2 does this to great effect.

That way, mappers could create big mountains that aren't unrealistically always at the same apparent distance from the player regardless of where they are in the map. It'd be immensely helpful for a sense of immersion in "larger-than-life" maps with a strong emphasis on layout and structure.

Not sure how the engine should handle the camera conflicting with solid geometry within the skybox room. Ideally, the mapper should avoid getting into such a situation anyway by carefully building around the real level proportionately, but it can't be guaranteed that all mappers will be so cautious.

I wanted to propose this as well, so I'm glad that someone put it into words.

Sodaholic said:

Ideally, the mapper should avoid getting into such a situation anyway by carefully building around the real level proportionately, but it can't be guaranteed that all mappers will be so cautious.

Their problem, I'd say.