Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaero_Four

The good, the bad.....and the Doomguy with the gun

Now that we've all gotten to examine the footage in detail, lets talk what they got right and what they got wrong. Granted this sort of thing is subjective but I figure it doesn't hurt to get a consensus on certain details.

Honestly I don't think they got much wrong at all say for minor things, which honestly can be chalked down as a work in progress. Even things that I was on the fence about is growing on me.

Gibbing system, animations, models, sound design, music, Doom guys gloves, bring em all.

The gore looks incomplete; people have complained of the model suddenly switching to gibs, and I noticed the blood seems to evaporate instead of spraying the walls and floor. Now, this is mostly cosmetic, but I think proper feedback is important. In 1993, seeing the blood trickle and watching the gory animation follow was, after the initial excitement of the shock, a satisfying way to convey that you're making progress. I'm hoping that I'll feel the same way with neo-Doom.

The palette looks pretty dynamic at times, but other times it seems very bland and limited. I'm confident the final product will have a variety of colors, but for now there's a bit too much brown, but obviously not anything as bad as some examples in the past.

There's no mention of story yet, which is fine. However it's presented, I just want it to not feel like something from the Sci-Fi channel, which Doom 3 is guilty of. It's not like Doom's story is believable or super mature, but I don't want some corny laughing antagonist threatening me with demons. C'mon, man. It looks like this Doom will try a bit harder to not be so naive, but so far we have very little information to go on in terms of narration.

I'm worried SnapMap might be so constrained, you'll actually have less freedom than in DoomBuilder. Let's hope it'll have some nice options for less conventionally designed rooms and environments.

Isn't the question too broad? It's exactly what everybody talks about since the footage was shown. Everybody is sharing his subjective opinions about various qualities of the game, in various general or specialized threads - and look how many of these threads already exist, and how many replies they contain on average. I'm not sure if another all-encompassing thread is a good idea. People will be repeating themselves yet another time.

tl;dr http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-4-general/73229-another-doom-4-thread/

GoatLord said:

...the model suddenly switching to gibs,

Yea noticed that too, feels like Quake 2 style gibs. I would like to see more gibs so it doesn't feel like the models disappear into thin air, maybe have unique gigs for different enemies.

GoatLord said:

The gore looks incomplete; people have complained of the model suddenly switching to gibs.

Exactly this.
This is the only part of the game I'm worried about. It may just be aesthetics, but I still don't want my enemies to flicker out of existence right as I shoot them.
But, we still have a whiles away to the release. Let's just hope it gets fixed.

It's strange that the gore looks so good when the player performs executions, but seems kinda shoddy and late 90s-ish with the gibbing.

GoatLord said:

It's strange that the gore looks so good when the player performs executions, but seems kinda shoddy and late 90s-ish with the gibbing.

A cinematic killing, vs a full-ingame event. The same happens with the latest Mortal Kombat.

Hope they add a good "feedback" when you hit (not killing) a monster. Good nice blood flying, some flesh, etc. So you can said: Uh... that's hurt....

A double shotgun would never explode the body of a person like seen in the game, not to mention the lack of blood during the explosion, even Brutal Doom looks better when you explode an imp with your super shotgun (even being ridiculous and physically imposssible).

GoatLord said:

I'm worried SnapMap might be so constrained, you'll actually have less freedom than in DoomBuilder. Let's hope it'll have some nice options for less conventionally designed rooms and environments.

Well, DooM Builder doesn't constrain you at all since it's the actual editor that lets you make full on doom levels. It's a pretty complicated tool to learn.

SnapMap looks like it absolutely will constrain you just like the Portal 2 map editor or Halo forge constrains you. It's for people who just want to make a cool little map real quick. It's a basic fun tool that keeps it simple.

If they at least let you import custom static 3D models for the environment and place them arbitrarily, then it should prove to be quite the powerful tool. And if it's possible to create new rooms from scratch, which means you have to have a way to define the room snap locations... The more you think about it, the more complicated the tool can potentially get short of them just releasing the official map editor alongside snap map.

Hopefully they do end up releasing the actual map editor if possible for the power users. I just hope it doesn't require a massive server farm to maintain like what I heard Rage does thanks to all those megatextures. If that's the case, creating DooM 4 levels in your spare time as a hobby won't even be remotely feasible for even some of the most skilled modders.

Kaskaum said:

A double shotgun would never explode the body of a person like seen in the game, not to mention the lack of blood during the explosion, even Brutal Doom looks better when you explode an imp with your super shotgun (even being ridiculous and physically imposssible).

Maybe not a double shotgun, no.
But this, this is a SUPER shotgun

Kaskaum said:

That's true, but for me I'm not looking for realism. But I don't want the models of the demons to just disappear and be replaced by generic gibs. I still want to make it believable even though it's not. :P

A good thing a, really good thing is that from the demo it looked like all the dead bodies didn't disappear from the ground like they did in DooM 3, hate it when that happens.

I know it's a trick to get the game running as smoothly as possible but if they are going to have it make a option like unlimited dead bodies or you can choose a number of dead bodies to be displayed on the map at the same time and when you have all your dead bodies maxed out the game just removes the first one when a new body hits the ground.

Gore needs to be touched up big time (enemies fall apart like clay models), the nasty yellow tinge that the reveal had needs to be dumbed down a bit, enemies need to be more distinguishable (they all look like alien humanoids, can hardly tell the difference between enemies), Cyberdemon needs more Cybernetic parts on his body. Other than those minor complaints i think ID seems to have this game going in the right direction for sure. I'm pumped!

And this is going to sound stupid, but the one thing that i really was hoping for a lot was the original DOOM door sound. If you all remember it was in the Cyberdemon QuakeCon teaser video. I thought to myself that they put that original door sound in there just to get people hyped. But when I saw the reveal gameplay and heard that first door open I almost pissed myself.

I fear that the slow-motion fatality scenes will cause me nightmares where I dream of doing the same to people who are attacking me :/