Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Patrol1985

Fmodex.dll bundled with GZDoom causes errors

A fellow player asked to help him with installing Brutal Doom 2.0. I offered help and suggested to use GZDoom 1.8.02 with the mod. Having installed everything, the player encountered the following error:

The game proceeded to load, but with no sound. In the process of looking for the source of the problem, the player decided to run GZDoom without the mod and here's what happened:

The error rougly translates as:

"Program <path>\fmodex.dll is not meant to be run in the Windows system or contains an error. Reinstall the program using the original install disc or contact the system administrator or the provider of the software to get help. Error state: 0xc0000022"

Then we decided to try Zandronum and it worked without any problems. Since Zandronum also comes bundled with fmodex.dll, we decided to copy it to GZDoom folder... and it worked as well!

Could it be then that fmodex.dll bundled in GZDoom archive is faulty?

My friend uses Windows 8.

I use Windows 7 and have never experienced such problems when using GZDoom, with or without Brutal Doom (and I use fmodex.dll from GZDoom's package).

Any ideas?

No idea. But 1.8.02 is ancient. It may well be that the DLL shipping with that version has problems, I haven't tried to use it on anything newer than Windows 7. Try to get a newer version from http://forum.drdteam.com .

We fixed the problem (we took the .dll from a different source), but would it be possible to update the .dll in the package (or whole version) of GZDoom on its site? Just so people who don't frequent those forums can avoid problems?

Patrol1985 said:

We fixed the problem (we took the .dll from a different source), but would it be possible to update the .dll in the package (or whole version) of GZDoom on its site? Just so people who don't frequent those forums can avoid problems?

Did you at least try the recent versions of GZDoom?

Of course not as the site he's talking about has been dead for two years because I can't access it. That's why there are no updates.

I realized only now that there is a NEW site for the GZDoom project. Google misled me as I thought the first result was the official place of the project.

Even though Doomwiki.org mentions both sites, the first one is the "not working" one. Perhaps someone could edit this information and explicitly state that the site is dead?

Graf Zahl, I tried clicking your link, but the proper one ends in .org

http://forum.drdteam.org

I can see that there are two "forks" of GZDoom (at least that's how I understand it). 2.x.x and 1.8.x

What's the difference between those?

EDIT: Found the answer. One is for OpenGL 3.0 and the other for OpenGL 2.0.

Patrol1985 said:

Perhaps someone could edit this information and explicitly state that the site is dead?

This site is a wiki, so everyone is encouraged to create and edit articles

I thought only some privileged few had this right in the Doom community. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Done, awaiting authorization :)