Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

It seems we don't really exist.

...not literally.

Some hours ago, a person named "Zaphael Xaron" (don't know if he's on this forum) posted an image in the Doomworld FB group.
In that image, there were comments on a twitter page (doom_txt) stating confidently that no one cares about Doom.
I just smiled at these, but reading through, I found the best:

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11402826_848200768605947_8332116237930180253_n.jpg?oh=7d027749de1821e50db4cd86a17bd17b&oe=55E6EED5

Just couldn't stop laughing.

GoatLord said:

I don't get it. Poor attempt at a joke?

I'd laugh either if it was a joke or not. But some guys seem to be serious there.

Well, in the grand scheme of things we kind of don't. If Doomworld was really important, Doom 4 would have been very very different, we all know that right?

Memfis said:

Well, in the grand scheme of things we kind of don't. If Doomworld was really important, Doom 4 would have been very very different, we all know that right?

That's right sadly, but despite we're not considered as an "official" community, we're still not a small one. Also Doom isn't just a "done, but then gone" franchise. I'm not surprised at younger people, though.
Doom 4 is another story, it wouldn't have really been for us even in that case I think. It's just that gaming, and the audience changes.

Well, to be fair, Bethesda/ID seem somewhat interested in appeasing us. They at least tried to base the combat around a more 90's style and they're including modding tools for the community to poke around with too. Even if it's not everything we wished it would be, it could be a hell of a lot worse. I'd even say it goes a lot closer to the spirit of the Original Doom than Doom 3 ever did and let's not forget that other long in development sequel to a 90's first person shooter that ended up Forever flopping.

MetroidJunkie said:

Well, to be fair, Bethesda/ID seem somewhat interested in appeasing us. They at least tried to base the combat around a more 90's style and they're including modding tools for the community to poke around with too. Even if it's not everything we wished it would be, it could be a hell of a lot worse. I'd even say it goes a lot closer to the spirit of the Original Doom than Doom 3 ever did and let's not forget that other long in development sequel to a 90's first person shooter that ended up Forever flopping.

It depends. As for me, I actually liked the trailer. I think this can also be true, cause the community would stick to the game, if it's good for it. Casual gamers won't imo. But it's still lame to state that nobody cares about Doom, or there's no "Doom Community" without research.

If that is his real face on his profile picture i would automatically think he has mental issues because he would then look 30+ while acting like a damaged teen... Unless he is joking and releasing some frustration because some of those retarded kids got to him on those Youtube chats and mentally retarded comment sections on gaming sites.

Either way, why should anybody care ?
seriously.

FractalXX said:

It depends. As for me, I actually liked the trailer. I think this can also be true, cause the community would stick to the game, if it's good for it. Casual gamers won't imo. But it's still lame to state that nobody cares about Doom, or there's no "Doom Community" without research.

Other than arguably being a very major milestone in not only first person shooters but gaming itself, I'd say it's the very flexible and relatively easy to learn modding that kept Doom relevant all this time. There's only so far you can get with the original levels before they get boring but this community really booms with all the content they have for it. Heck, you've even got people like Doomero who take the modding so far that they literally make the Doom engine act like a completely different game. Being 2.5-D probably helps since it's much easier to get into than purely 3D engines and you can do more with it than a purely 2D game.

MetroidJunkie said:

Other than arguably being a very major milestone in not only first person shooters but gaming itself, I'd say it's the very flexible and relatively easy to learn modding that kept Doom relevant all this time. There's only so far you can get with the original levels before they get boring but this community really booms with all the content they have for it. Heck, you've even got people like Doomero who take the modding so far that they literally make the Doom engine act like a completely different game. Being 2.5-D probably helps since it's much easier to get into than purely 3D engines and you can do more with it than a purely 2D game.

Agreed. If the new Doom will be somewhat moddable, it will keep it alive, may be not as long as it did with the classics, but it will do more or less.
Again, I think they wouldn't develop it, if there weren't that many of people still playing Doom. Another point for the community, it seems.

FireFish said:

If that is his real face on his profile picture i would automatically think he has mental issues because he would then look 30+ while acting like a damaged teen... Unless he is joking and releasing some frustration because some of those retarded kids got to him on those Youtube chats and mentally retarded comment sections on gaming sites.

Either way, why should anybody care ?
seriously.

It's nothing we should be really offended by, just thought I should share it.

He probably meant the Doom 3 community, because he's a filthy casual. The Doom 2 community is alive and well and there are at least 10 source ports in active development.

There's a whole stream of similar retweets on doom_txt of people who obviously didn't care about the Doom reveal. So what? They're probably just Fallout fans desperately waiting to see the Fallout 4 announcement. Big deal.

MetroidJunkie said:

I prefer Space/Hell Wolfenstein.

So, we'll chalk you up for a vote for Doom 3, eh?

Job said:

So, we'll chalk you up for a vote for Doom 3, eh?

I was responding to Jaxxoon R, jokingly calling Doom Wolf 3D in Space/Hell since ID used that as a base to make the Doom engine. XD

FractalXX said:

I'd laugh either if it was a joke or not. But some guys seem to be serious there.

Serious? Yes, but this is twatter we're talking about. They can be as serious as they like but that place is full of people who are serious and also wrong/stupid/ill informed/etc etc.

The only really serious problem would be if people here started caring about what fans of other games, who don't care about Doom and who are never going to, say about Doom on twitter. Even tweets from reasonably authoritative figures are only mildly interesting to me and I treat anything that comes from twitter with a pinch of salt. It could be worse though. (cough, tumblr, cough)

The guy in the tweet is clueless, but it doesn't affect us any, so why care?

MetroidJunkie said:

I was responding to Jaxxoon R, jokingly calling Doom Wolf 3D in Space/Hell since ID used that as a base to make the Doom engine. XD

They reused many engine concepts from Wolf, but Doom doesn't share a line of code with it.

I have to imagine they at least loosely based it on the engine used to make Wolf 3D and built it up from there into its own. Not sharing a line of code simply means they ultimately completely replaced the coding into something of its own.

I remember watching the live E3 coverage, and on another forum there were people complaining that the DOOM coverage was dragging on for far way too long. Heck, I wish the presentation was longer. I suppose we have QuakeCon, I bet more will be revealed there.

fraggle said:

There's a whole stream of similar retweets on doom_txt of people who obviously didn't care about the Doom reveal. So what? They're probably just Fallout fans desperately waiting to see the Fallout 4 announcement. Big deal.

I'm quite interested in Fallout 4, I really enjoyed the original games and quite liked 3 and New Vegas, but yeah long live Doom!

It also does sadden me a little bit that just because he personally and a bunch of other people don't care for the game that they think their thoughts are actually true...no, people love the original Doom, just like they did 22 years a go. I can handle people not liking Doom, it's obvious it isn't for everybody, but to go on thinking that nobody likes it just because they don't is just silly and needlessly ignorant.

Enjay said:

Serious? Yes, but this is twatter we're talking about. They can be as serious as they like but that place is full of people who are serious and also wrong/stupid/ill informed/etc etc.

The only really serious problem would be if people here started caring about what fans of other games, who don't care about Doom and who are never going to, say about Doom on twitter. Even tweets from reasonably authoritative figures are only mildly interesting to me and I treat anything that comes from twitter with a pinch of salt. It could be worse though. (cough, tumblr, cough)

I'm almost always careless for these kind of people, who act like them, but when it comes to Doom, I become more caring somehow. I'm going to miss those times when I just didn't care. Aging changes people, and sometimes in a bad way.
I didn't want to bother anyone, just shared my opinions, and wanted to know others'.