Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

It seems we don't really exist.

JasonWanderer said:

No modern day gamer wants to be part of this community.

Using the word "no" is exaggerated. This community has an important thing to attract new members: Mapping and modding, easy to do and with extensive database of existing content. Every once a while, a new person joins Doomworld, enthusiastically proposes his own first Doom maps, and admits having previous experience with modern games and/or work with modern game engines. Some of new mappers who only joined the community in recent years have created excellent wads.

scifista42 said:

Using the word "no" is exaggerated. This community has an important thing to attract new members: Mapping and modding, easy to do and with extensive database of existing content. Every once a while, a new person joins Doomworld, enthusiastically proposes his own first Doom maps, and admits having previous experience with modern games and/or work with modern game engines. Some of new mappers who only joined the community in recent years have created excellent wads.

Yeah that's true.

I should have said "most" rather than imply none at all.

Good to know some do come here though.

~ Jason

This is the third page of this thread, and no one has posted anything about Fallout's gamplay yet. Does no one care about gams?

Gez said:

This is the third page of this thread, and no one has posted anything about Fallout's gamplay yet. Does no one care about gams?

We need to defend our honor as DOOM players first.

Seriously though, Fallout 4 looks good for what it is.
I'll admit I enjoyed New Vegas/Fallout 3 so I'll be picking up 4.

What about you guys?
Fallout vs DOOM?

~ Jason

MetroidJunkie said:

Honestly, the two aren't mutually exclusive, ID is the one actually developing the game with Bethesda merely Publishing it so it's not like Fallout 4 developmental resources are being sacrificed in the name of Doom development. You can be excited for both of them, I certainly am.

As I mentioned in the previous page. =S

The fact that we don’t exist gives us all a lot of freedom. Just think of practical side of it.

I've never liked hearing someone laugh at someone else being rude to them, you obviously don't think it's funny, you're just trying to be rude back.

PRIMEVAL said:

It's people like him that make me not want to play any Fallout game.

I'm going to guess that he doesn't even know Fallout 1 and 2 exist either.

Fallout fanboys are fucking weird, and hilarious. And this is coming from someone who's considering getting Fallout 4 (but when it's released).

Back when the first gameplay teaser of Doom 4 was put up there were a lot of hilarious comments online, I actually took a screen cap of THREE POSTS IN A ROW whining about it (this was before the Fallout 4 announcement mere weeks/days later).

Yeah, fuck other people and the games they enjoy! No one should like games I don't like, they should only like Fallout!

I'm also amazed, like, don't they realize what an important game Doom is and what it did to the industry? Or are they teens who are too young and ignorant to realize what a big deal Doom actually is?

But I hope these people keep posting. I can't stop giggling. <3

I seriously don't get why to hate Fallout 3/4 just because those stupid fanboy said stupid shit...

And did you guys forgot something about game fanboys are everywhere, even DooM itself...?(Well, I'm not sure... :|)

kelliegator said:

Yeah, fuck other people and the games they enjoy! No one should like games I don't like, they should only like Fallout!

That sounds like most fandoms in general.

playerlin said:

I seriously don't get why to hate Fallout 3/4 just because those stupid fanboy said stupid shit...

And did you guys forgot something about game fanboys are everywhere, even DooM itself...?(Well, I'm not sure... :|)

I think it's significantly more likely that Fallout 4 will be a great game than Doom 4. But it's not like we have to make an either/or choice.

That's cool that we don't exist, it's like we're a secret organization making and playing wads secretly, like a secret club.

No Memfis's allowed though.

SlashBane said:

That's cool that we don't exist, it's like we're a secret organization making and playing wads secretly, like a secret club.

No Memfis's allowed though.

Illuminati much?

But that's actually a neat idea when you think about it. Doom fans kept secret from the rest the PTSD called the internet.

nxGangrel said:

Illuminati much?

But that's actually a neat idea when you think about it. Doom fans kept secret from the rest the PTSD called the internet.

Illuminati is a great song but I fail to see what it has to do with the community..

Doominator2 said:

Speaking about Illuminati, do you know how I can apply for a job there?

Majestic 12

@Doominator2. That would be funny if I knew the song you were talking about.

I think that the image kelliegator posted and other comments around the web show that although Doom was once the biggest noise in gaming, to most people it's really just a side show these days; something of minor interest and not particularly something that the majority of gamers are particularly engaged by. I don't suppose that many of us will be surprised by this but this is quite a stark demonstration of it.

I'm not saying Doom(4) won't shift a whole bunch of product or anything. I'm sure it will sell well and be commercially viable, even very successful. However, out-with forums like this one, it's highly unlikely that it will be the game that people are talking about and are engaged with.

kelliegator said:

Fallout fanboys are fucking weird, and hilarious. And this is coming from someone who's considering getting Fallout 4 (but when it's released).

Back when the first gameplay teaser of Doom 4 was put up there were a lot of hilarious comments online, I actually took a screen cap of THREE POSTS IN A ROW whining about it (this was before the Fallout 4 announcement mere weeks/days later).

http://i.imgur.com/uIeoA4D.png

I'm also amazed, like, don't they realize what an important game Doom is and what it did to the industry? Or are they teens who are too young and ignorant to realize what a big deal Doom actually is?

But I hope these people keep posting. I can't stop giggling. <3

,,Get back to TES 6'' you know you see a fucking retard when he doesn't even know what game he is waiting for.

Cybersexdemon said:

,,Get back to TES 6'' you know you see a fucking retard when he doesn't even know what game he is waiting for.

That and not knowing the difference between BETHESDA SOFTWORKS and BETHESDA GAME STUDIOS. That's some fan dedication right there.

JasonWanderer said:

~ Jason

Why would you bother signing your posts when your name is directly to the left of it at all times?

Jaxxoon R said:

Why would you bother signing your posts when your name is directly to the left of it at all times?

He's probably a fancy person.

JasonWanderer said:

Yeah that's true.
I should have said "most" rather than imply none at all.
Good to know some do come here though.
~ Jason

My entire teen years, save for one, are based in the early 2000's. The most gigantic part of my gaming life is based around games released between and ranging from 2000 to now while ignoring Super Mario on the Snes when i was 5... there was a giant chance i would have never played doom either if i wasn't so open towards old games, at least i know for certain many of the people i know or knew never even touched the game.

So i consider myself a modern gamer on Doomworld, although i am starting to roll out of it, and now i am becoming a retro gamer... XD

The only type of FPS modern gamers know really is is COD, which admittedly is getting tiresome. So their reaction to Doom 4 comes from a place of ignorance I feel, they more than likely think it's another COD clone.

FireFish said:

My entire teen years, save for one, are based in the early 2000's. The most gigantic part of my gaming life is based around games released between and ranging from 2000 to now while ignoring Super Mario on the Snes when i was 5... there was a giant chance i would have never played doom either if i wasn't so open towards old games, at least i know for certain many of the people i know or knew never even touched the game.

So i consider myself a modern gamer on Doomworld, although i am starting to roll out of it, and now i am becoming a retro gamer... XD

The retro stuff is good...and also very very bad. Been playing all sorts of games while growing up and got a lot of time with the Mega Drive and SNES and PS1 and some PC gaming at friends houses. I was 5 when Doom originally came out, but didn't have chance to play it as not having a PC and not really knowing anyone who owned it, wasn't until it came out on PS1 that I started with it...haven't left it since.

Linguica said:

If Doomworld has influenced the creation of Doom 4, it's the fact that a dedicated community still existing for a 1993 game (and the lack of any long term community for its 2004 incarnation...) lends credence to the notion that the game has some very specific aspects that have enabled its incredible longevity, and the new game would do well to emulate those.

I'm seeing elements of them in the DM modes they featured. The Revenant powerup is vaguely like the Terminator game mode in Zandronum, and there was an Invasion game mode featured as well (though admittedly it's been around longer than that).

JasonWanderer said:

No modern day gamer wants to be part of this community.

If the DW Facebook page is any indication... they won't be missed.