Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Trace of Plague [A Doom II Megawad in progress][Screenshots][Download MAP01]

So, where we left things off, Doomguy was celebrating his victory over the Icon of Sin. He was so happy that he left Starport to work in a renovated UAC office on Phobos. He was happy with his work, but one day a plague struck the town of Spatrea, and all of his co-workers, including the one moving in, were turned into zombified creatures. Following the traces of this plague, Doomguy will find himself in various places, fighting for his life, and (probably) taking victory over the mastermind of the plague, the brother of the Icon of Sin. It's up to you whether he'll be a coward or a brave warrior. You decide.

And another one bites the dust! Yea, Apocalypso.wad crashed, not my fault, it's GZDoom Builder who collided two maps together. This wad will be much more challenging.

Heck, I even made a list of 7 other MAP01 from other famous wads (1024CLAU, HR, MM, REQUIEM, AV, Doom2, CChest) and compared them to mine. Turns out mine is 2nd on the total list. Wow.

--------------------
MAP01: Claustrophobia
--------------------
Vertex: 1954 (1.)
Linedefs: 2442 (2.)
Sidedefs: 4333 (1.)
Sectors: 521 (1.)
Things: 240 (2.)
Monsters: 52/67/83 (1./2./2.)
Secrets: 5
Completed: 23.VI.2015.
--------------------

Oh, and btw. screenshots made with the cheats KILL MONSTERS and IDKFA.

http://wadsinprogress.info/image.php?wad=1780&shot=1
http://wadsinprogress.info/image.php?wad=1780&shot=2
http://wadsinprogress.info/image.php?wad=1780&shot=3

UPDATED VERSION:

The red key area completely revised and much harder! *snitch snitch*
Better traps!
More health!

Hope you like it!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v2jh969f5dtrrfd/TRACPLAG.wad

There's the music wad: (only MAP01 for now)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dbpd9v7c23coi2n/PLAGMUS.wad

DoomLover234 said:

Heck, I even made a list of 7 other MAP01 from other famous wads (1024CLAU, HR, MM, REQUIEM, AV, Doom2, CChest) and compared them to mine. Turns out mine is 2nd on the total list. Wow.

Just so you know, comparing stats of maps to others doesn't mean nearly as much as how it plays and looks. Screenshots and compatibility (vanilla? Boom? Zdoom?) are basically the only thing we need to know when showing us your maps (story comes last for most Doom wads)

Anyway, I played the map—it's very rudimentary. Hubspoke design, a random array of monsters, little care for proper balance, and—of course!—SS soldiers. Traps are easily telegraphed and dispatched of (look for what lowers), and the only thing that was difficult was that bizarre teleporting secret sequence, where sergeants and imps are popping up right next to you in a tight space. It's clear you have an eye for visuals—the big tree and skid marks in the parking lot prove that—but you really should play around with spacing, provisions, and monster balance before you go on the epic journey to craft 32 fun maps. Don't look at the linedef & monster numbers for MAP01 of AV, HR, Requiem and CChest—look at how they used monsters in interesting ways and tried to craft the map. Height variation, placing health items in dangerous spots, and wise monster placement (pinkies & specters will NEVER be dangerous from afar) are all integral when you map. Gameplay > visuals, essentially.

Also, try to avoid using SS soldiers unless you really need them. They're typically the calling card of the amateur mapper.

dobu gabu maru said:

Just so you know, comparing stats of maps to others doesn't mean nearly as much as how it plays and looks. Screenshots and compatibility (vanilla? Boom? Zdoom?) are basically the only thing we need to know when showing us your maps (story comes last for most Doom wads)

Anyway, I played the map—it's very rudimentary. Hubspoke design, a random array of monsters, little care for proper balance, and—of course!—SS soldiers. Traps are easily telegraphed and dispatched of (look for what lowers), and the only thing that was difficult was that bizarre teleporting secret sequence, where sergeants and imps are popping up right next to you in a tight space. It's clear you have an eye for visuals—the big tree and skid marks in the parking lot prove that—but you really should play around with spacing, provisions, and monster balance before you go on the epic journey to craft 32 fun maps. Don't look at the linedef & monster numbers for MAP01 of AV, HR, Requiem and CChest—look at how they used monsters in interesting ways and tried to craft the map. Height variation, placing health items in dangerous spots, and wise monster placement (pinkies & specters will NEVER be dangerous from afar) are all integral when you map. Gameplay > visuals, essentially.

Also, try to avoid using SS soldiers unless you really need them. They're typically the calling card of the amateur mapper.

Thank you for your opinion. I'd make a teleporting trap in some areas but I don't know how. I will try to use your opinion and make a better map. Thank you again!
And I used SS soldiers because they (in groups) can be quite dangerous.

VGA said:

Can't go wrong with more enemies!

VGA and sudo459, did you try the map? Anything wrong with the map (there will definitely be something :-) )

Nice map, I liked it.
Was the secret shooty switch goodies supposed to be labeled as a secret? It didn't give me dat secret point for me if it was :s
I didn't bother fighting the hellknights in the red key area, and maybe cut down the teleporting baddies by just the slightest hair.
Also nice blue keycard art on the floor (I've done that too in a map I have yet to release so uh high-five! Mind if I borrow that template though? :P)
Everyone would be most grateful if you changed the music tho, d_runnin is an infamous plague so powerful perhaps even the slightest mention of its curse may wrought agony and despair (spooky stuff!).

Not sure what to say when reviewing maps but it seemed like not even a teaspoon-full of folks was doing it so there ya go.

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Nice map, I liked it.
Was the secret shooty switch goodies supposed to be labeled as a secret? It didn't give me dat secret point for me if it was :s
I didn't bother fighting the hellknights in the red key area, and maybe cut down the teleporting baddies by just the slightest hair.
Also nice blue keycard art on the floor (I've done that too in a map I have yet to release so uh high-five! Mind if I borrow that template though? :P)
Everyone would be most grateful if you changed the music tho, d_runnin is an infamous plague so powerful perhaps even the slightest mention of its curse may wrought agony and despair (spooky stuff!).

Not sure what to say when reviewing maps but it seemed like not even a teaspoon-full of folks was doing it so there ya go.

Yeah, those 3 beams are all marked as secrets. It's hard to trigger them. Fun fact: the red key area was completely different (but much much easier) before.
Of course you can borrow the template. Why not? ;-) And the blue key signifies to get back here after you grab the blue key (something opens).
And I compose music for my maps too, but I still didn't create anything. Thanks for reminding me ;-)

Thank you for your opinion.