Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperCupcakeTactics

Wishy Wackadoodle

I'm unsatisfied with this map - will use stuff from it in other maps I guess...
Well, here you go:

Doom E1M1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1ffffn6vhg0wu7/ohshizzle.wad?dl=0
Only things I didn't bother adding at this point were monsters that teleport in to add more combat and changing a secret item.

Tell me what you think please >.>

EDIT: Updated! https://www.dropbox.com/s/v94td0r66eytael/WishyWackadoodle.wad?dl=0

1) HOLY CRAP!!!
2) ...the hell did I just play? Is there even a name for this kind of map? "Slaughter" doesn't really apply...
3) You're insane, seek help.
4) I actually played this so obviously I'm even worse than the person who created it :X
5) Made it on the fifth attempt @ 22:07, 97% kills, 39% items, 22% secrets

It reminds me of something gggmork would make, if he didn't do slaughtermaps and did something for doom1. Was okay once the chaos got under control. The lack of a theme being a theme was ... ok I guess. Not recommended. Perhaps secret map material.

Heh, this was fun. I rather enjoyed the bonkers, Ilya-esque texturing, and the triggers everywhere. The action does kinda peter out once you've got a foothold - a well placed cyber sniper, or something similarly unpleasant, might liven the latter stages up a little.

There are quite a lot of slime trails, so when you're done have a play around with the vertices and/or nodebuilder - they shouldn't be too tricky to remove.

I spotted three other visual oddities:

Spoiler

Your mapping style is already perfect in terms of qualities that make each of your maps enjoyable on its own. Variety, colors, challenge, intuitiveness, free movement, everything is flawless. Now, you could start putting effort to make each of your new maps unique even among your own previous maps. You know that I've played them, and as I said, they're totally awesome. Now that I think about it, they're principially too similar to each other, and none of them has any memorable feature that would make that particular map stand out (even the names are forgettable). This is the only flaw I can think of. Anyway, even if you won't do anything about it, I probably won't become overfed of your style anytime soon. I like it a lot! :)

I'm not worthy! We're not worthy! This SuperCupcakeTactics guy sure is a new DOOM god. No, I'm serious, it's impossible to beat this map without cheating at all.

EDIT: Ohmygod ohmygod OHMYGOD! Finally, I beat this map without cheating! I didn't know it's actually possible enough to beat!

Spoiler

But where is the yellow skull key required to open the another secret?

@taufan99: You totally need to get more experience with playing wads to see where the standards are, maybe check out some slaughtermaps to see where the true extremes are, and most slaughtermaps are not even the top extreme. This map was not even hard at all (more like "easy fast-paced"), not to say claiming it's impossible.

@scifista42 Yeah this map was supposed to go in the doom 1 episode where all the maps looked like this, I planned to keep it secret but I didn't like what it was on this one so I let it go out into the wild before it was even "finished"... guess I was just tired of staring at it in the editor and wanted to move on to the cool stuff in the next map. I tried making a map here where everything was connected and it would be fun to simply run around in by itself but it became challenging to sort out the mess in my own head once it came to putting monsters in. I suppose releasing these maps individually has backfired on me, well, time to start over on the next map (maybe). >.<

@taufan99 My secret is that I have a key binded to the "resurrect" cheat ^.~

taufan99 said:

I'm not worthy! We're not worthy! This SuperCupcakeTactics guy sure is a new DOOM god. No, I'm serious, it's impossible to beat this map without cheating at all.

It's not impossible - you just need to find where the "quiet" areas are. In the very beginning you can run for the blue key door, which is fairly easy to defend, and then slowly branch out from there.

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

@taufan99 My secret is that I have a key binded to the "resurrect" cheat ^.~

You cheater! D: I never bind a key to the "resurrect" cheat and always open the console to type "resurrect". :P

@scifista42 Yeah this map was supposed to go in the doom 1 episode where all the maps looked like this, [...] I suppose releasing these maps individually has backfired on me,

No, I think I would get the same general impression if I had played all your maps inside one episode as if I had played them individually at different times.

Yeah this map was supposed to go in the doom 1 episode

I'm looking forward to play it!

This map is what happens when Doombuilder gets food poisoning after eating one too many Taco Bell meals.

Fortunately, it plays far better than that description might imply.

Out of morbid curiosity, how long did it take you to make this?

Also...

Muhuahahahaha~!
It's a new breed of map and it's not even in its final form!

Following Chris Hansen's comment I vote we start calling it ADDmap.

@DeathMetalAccountant I guess if you want the whole dealio I started it back in March then stopped until June and worked on and off... I guess it took me a total of 3 weeks if I just count days that I mapped some

Beautiful chaos. This is great fun, managed to get through it on the 2nd attempt, but the yellow key and a few enemies escaped me. Its the kind of unpredictable gameplay I enjoy, messy but not too harsh. The visual vomit goes beyond ugliness into artistic territory, not sure I could handle more than a few maps looking like this though.

It flops its willy out quite early and runs out of steam once you clear most of it, like you say, needs some re-population. Nice choice of music.

Heh, it's been quite a while since I played a map this confusing. I finished it at the first try, because I quickly realized it is essentially one big monster closet. Thus I first cleared a small area near the start and only then I carefully progressed further. I still almost died at the start due to crossfire, but the blue armor helped greatly. I run out of ammo two times during this initial phase and it cost me a lot of health to search for more. Maybe you could redistribute some more ammo towards start? In any case, searching for keys and doors took me much more time than killing the monsters, but you already know that from others. I finished with 100% kills and 4/9 secrets. The exit transported me to E1M9, I never found normal exit (if there is one).

Oh, and there is HOM at linedef 1658.

when i got my groove on, i got about 300 kills in with over 150% armor and health. the commotion had died down a bit too, but i was still on my toes; i then heard a door open and immediately turned around to shoot the imp that was beginning to crawl out of the door. what i neglected to notice was a pile of several barrels that i was shooting point blank instead. i survived but was killed by a shotgunner thirty seconds later. I admitted defeat, resurrected, and played the rest of the map. i had fun.

@taufan99 Congratz! :D

Spoiler

Where the soulsphere is there's a switch you can shoot across from that platform which opens that skull pillar and inside is the yellow skull key.

Also wow I've never seen so many replies on any of my threads before

this is absolutely insane and I love it. I'd honestly be okay with an entire wad with this style of mapping. never really seen anything like it before.

This is the first time I've ever felt like my brain shut down and I wasn't even alive while playing a DOOM WAD.

This was really easy, I have no idea what difficulty people are talking about aside from the mental difficulty. I'm also mentioned here a couple of times.

joe-ilya said:

This was really easy, I have no idea what difficulty people are talking about aside from the mental difficulty. I'm also mentioned here a couple of times.

Do you have a problem with being mentioned on this board? Because you seem to enjoy announcing to everyone when you're mentioned in a thread.
Not trying to attack/make fun of you, just genuinely curious as to why you seem to need to point that out.