Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Batman: Arkham Knight is a disaster on PC

Its probably capped because it drops in frame rates on lesser systems. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I read if you uncap it to standard 60, the framerate is erratic even on high end systems.

Another day, another botched PC release. Hopefully its issues are addressed like Mortal Kombat X's were (kind of, but I don't want to derail the thread).

I'm watching Jim's video so far it seems fine outside of a chug here and there that can probably be alleviated by not running video capture or lowering the resolution.

I haven't seen anything that's intolerable. Jim doesn't seem to notice the visual hiccups.

Are people just pissed its not on Mac, Linux and SOS (SteamOS) yet? It could also be AMD's problem like it was with Rage. 2 GB nVidia or a 3 GB AMD seem like a bit much. I've got a 4 GB nVidia now, but I have no desire to pick it up until its $5 GOTY.

Its also weird hearing the Penguin play a Batman game.

Well after watching Jim's video the major frame rate issues seem to come from the driving and the cut scenes. There's a lot of driving, but maybe that's because everyone is used to the mechanics, now get used to the driving. The Riddler now has a racecourse... didn't see that one coming.

unless there truly are some serious issues on the programming level of the game most modern complaints come down to ;

A ;
i want to run this on an extreme resolution.. but my gfx card can barely handle it, i refuse to go to a lower HD resolution.

B ;
My system is running at the brink of a processing breakdown, yet i barely surpass or reach the up to now known Playstation 4 graphical abilities. Curse the developers for not doing in magic to run the impossible on my machine.

C ;
I have a rare ultra expensive killer machine with 12 cores and 2 titan cards, these games are not programmed to use all my cores so they think they are a discriminated minority.

D ;
they do not have the patience to wait for a patch fixing a bug the company did not know about.

ReviewTechUSA's take on this. He mentions an EXTERNAL TEAM (Tiny team of like 11 people) who did the port.

My advice:Never pre-order and never purchase games on launch, because shitload of bugs, glitches and errors, instead buy it when the latest patch is avaliable.

Coolkids said:

I am at least happy they also released it for Linux.

Not until fall according to the store page.

I asked a Steam friend about it and he said the game plays fine on lower resolutions and how he'd rather play a smooth game at a lower resolution than put up with skips.

Good thing there are Steam refunds now.

About engine optimization, I can't find concrete information whether its Unreal 3 or 4 but some are saying that its still Unreal 3. You'd think the 4th in the series would run fine.

They were probably still using the same engine since so much work has been done with that engine so far, and they don't want to start from scratch with a new engine because they would likely have to make sacrifices to the amount of content.

I wonder why people are so obsessed with framerates.

OK, I know that higher is better, but there's no magical way to ensure a guaranteed frame rate with a 3D game, unless you abuse 90-s style "popping", limited view distance, mesh degradation, strictly controlled geometry AND you only run the game with hardware that gives you a 200% performance margin. And even then, it may hiccup occasionally. If you want fixed frame rates, then go back to the ATARI 2600, and games that "chase the beam", quite literally.

Yeah, 30FPS for a game like this does not bother me in the slightest. I've always been of the crowd that hasn't really given a shit if a game plays at 30 or 60, as long as its consistent.

The only reason 3DGE got a framerate uncap is to increase the userbase - do I play with it on? Nope!

This is why I'm trapped on whether I should preorder Doom 4. I hate the idea of preordering but I'm going to make a day one purchase of Doom 4 anyway, I just wanna be sure there are enough copies left.

EDIT: Off topic, I'm even more pissed that this isn't on Wii U! This is bullshit

This is why skepticism pays off in the gaming industry in the past 7-10 years because of shit like this.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

EDIT: Off topic, I'm even more pissed that this isn't on Wii U! This is bullshit

Me too!! If it was I would buy that version rather than the PC because the controller is so much fun to use.

But you know, people don't give Ninty enough credability. AC was amazing on the platform.

Chu said:

Yeah, 30FPS for a game like this does not bother me in the slightest. I've always been of the crowd that hasn't really given a shit if a game plays at 30 or 60, as long as its consistent.

I agree, the human eye saw at 12 FPS and lots movies are filmed with 24 FPS cameras, so 30 FPS isn't something to concern.

Gotta love all the excuses people pull in here for a shitty console port of a popular game series.

It's ok if you don't experience these issues yourself. But please do everyone a favor and don't pretend that it's not an issue for most other people when a game clips out of audio and have severe framedrops like this new Batman game do.

Personally however, 60 frames is about as low as I can tolerate when playing games. Anything less and I start getting headaches. Usually I aim at 144fps. But a lot of games are locked at 60, which is ok. But I prefer it when I can play them like I want to.

Gotta say I was expecting something a little different when I read the headline about a "disaster" of a port. Maybe it crashes every five minutes. Maybe savegames are getting corrupted every time steam autoupdates. Maybe the game freezes for 10 seconds every 30 seconds to load the next area.

I guess I need to brush up on my English.

Everyone still complaining about 30 fps? Sounds like a peasants problem. The upper crust be complaining about no 4K resolution. What is this 2013? wak wak wak... waddles away.

I bet people will still be posting their Youtube videos with headlines like 60 fps.

I dont get what the problem is if its capped at 30fps. I mean if you actually try and focus on the frames you might see a small difference between 30 and 60, but is 30fps really making your game any less more difficult to play than if it were running at 60fps?

Glaice said:

They expect you to play at console level graphics levels, with some half-assed response on the official WB forums.

So that means that they are taking the route Ubishit took with Watchdogs, hi-res texs that are hidden inside files that come with the game, awaiting for some modder to extract.

geo said:

Everyone still complaining about 30 fps? Sounds like a peasants problem. The upper crust be complaining about no 4K resolution. What is this 2013? wak wak wak... waddles away.

No. 30fps would have been an annoyance for sure. But as you can se in the video, it's not even keeping a steady 30. It frameskips and cuts pretty terribly. And it only seem to get worse as time goes on. Saying it's a disaster is of course hyperbole. But I think people are pretty wary of WB since the last game and all their hijinks serving shitsandwishes before.