Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Makazi

Issue with slopes in GZDoom Builder

Heyo! I'm having a whit of a problem with slopes in GZDoom Builder. I apologize if this has been answered before, but I searched the forums and couldn't find anything.

Basically it's like this: I'm trying to make a slope using linedef action 181 - plane align, but no matter what I do, I'm seeming to get this weird 'tilted' effect. Here's an image of it in 3d view: http://puu.sh/iARvH/f609b0d41c.jpg

And here's an image of what it looks like in the editor:http://puu.sh/iARME/e072a3d1fb.png

What I'm doing is telling the linedef to align the floor on the back, going into 3d, and using my mousewheel to raise the slope up. This same thing happens if I use the other linedef in the sector and tell it to align to the front. So, any ideas?

Additional information:
GZDoom Builder 1.14.0.2334
Format: Zandronum: Doom 2 (Hexen Format)

Haha, sure! It's actually a correct behaviour. The sector is being sloped from the action line to a vertex placed the furthest from the line. The engine can't "find a proper opposite line" and automatically slope to it, it's actually impossible even geometrically if the "opposite lines" are not parallel to each other! In short, an irregularly shaped sector like the one you have cannot be sloped perfectly to the line opposite to the action line. However, you can choose from 2 easy tricks to solve the problem:

1. Make sure that the "opposite line" to the action line is perfectly parallel to the action line. Then both end point vertexes of the opposite line will be the same far from the action line, so the slope will align perfectly to the line.

2. Split the sector into triangles and use slope align action on both ends. The triangles neighboring with the higher sector needs to have low floor (as low as the lower sector has), and the other triangle needs to have high floor (as high as the higher sector has).

scifista42 said:

Haha, sure! It's actually a correct behaviour. The sector is being sloped from the action line to a vertex placed the furthest from the line. The engine can't "find a proper opposite line" and automatically slope to it, it's actually impossible even geometrically if the "opposite lines" are not parallel to each other! In short, an irregularly shaped sector like the one you have cannot be sloped perfectly to the line opposite to the action line. However, you can choose from 2 easy tricks to solve the problem:

1. Make sure that the "opposite line" to the action line is perfectly parallel to the action line. Then both end point vertexes of the opposite line will be the same far from the action line, so the slope will align perfectly to the line.

2. Split the sector into triangles and use slope align action on both ends. The triangles neighboring with the higher sector needs to have low floor (as low as the lower sector has), and the other triangle needs to have high floor (as high as the higher sector has).

Hey, thanks a lot! ^^ I did the triangle solution and it worked flawlessly.