Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

8x status bar with Doomguy face - released

Here's demo of thing I'm working on a couple of months - a high resolution (8x bigger then original one) Doomguy face for status bar. Demonstration pack contains 31 frames of Doomguy face (without STFL-STFR, they still in progress) and new status bar (face frame is not centered perfectly yet). There is high res font in that pack, but is not mine - for now is that included with Doomsday addons pack (can't find author of this so sorrry for no credit).

This version works with Doomsday (just paste pk3 in tha addons folder and check them in Frontend Addons):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oqiyqr1enudsb3/R_Hud_Stuff_demo.pk3?dl=0

Nice! As already mentioned, WAY TOO MUCH BLOOD between 39-20 and 19-1. Also, where's God Mode DoomGuy's face? Nonetheless, a really nice thing going on, hope you finish it (if you already didn't)

Hmm, Doomguy doesn't look surprised enough in the ouch face frames, I suppose :P

Absolutely fantastic looking faces here. Are they 3D models or just insanely good drawings? If they're 3D then you have to teach me how to do that.

just gonna drop my sig on here haven't done that in a while

Can we stop constructively criticizing Joe and talk about this fantastic work before people start getting in trouble?

I for one love the :O face, even if his eyebrows do look a little too quizzical, which made me not quite recognize that it was the :O face at first. I think the jump in blood amount between the "low" and "critical" health states is a little large too.

Reminds me of Kane at Robocop 2 (as Kane gets a robo too...)...

Heh, it'd be pretty awesome if you could do the gibbing Doomguy face:

I believe it was introduced in PSX Doom. You can also see it in Threshold of Pain by Scalliano if you're interested.

Obsidian said:

I believe it was introduced in PSX Doom.

In Jaguar Doom. In fact, your animation is from the Jaguar Doom (the PSX one is slightly different and badly scaled, like all other HUD faces).

Something like that would probably take a bit more work to replicate, drawing gibs is a lot different to making "physical" bits that have to be moved about...

I'm curious too about the godmode face O:

I'm sorry but it doesn't say anywhere in here that it is not compatible with GzDoom, unless I am mistaken (that happens more than I want to admit haha)

I know what you're feeling there. It sort of needs HD mods to justify the pretty effects but the 3D models look ugly and the textures don't look right. Plus the controls feel a little bit off.

Thanks for suggestions! In meantime I experiment with lighting and gamma. Sprites in demo are too dark IMO especially when I compare this with original hud face, so I test something like this:

Tell me what you think.

SavageCorona said:

Can we stop constructively criticizing Joe and talk about this fantastic work before people start getting in trouble?

I for one love the :O face, even if his eyebrows do look a little too quizzical, which made me not quite recognize that it was the :O face at first. I think the jump in blood amount between the "low" and "critical" health states is a little large too.

I don't know why people are saying this, it is critical condition after all and he has taken a few beatings to the face. I think it's fine, it's no good showing critical status if he doesn't look critically injured.

The low damage and medium damage could be separated a bit more but otherwise I think it's fine

Really good work on a subject that's going to be really hard to satisfy the critics on. People are picky about those pixels. If I was to leverage any criticism at it, I'd say the power-up grin looks a little impish - perhaps see more of his upper teeth section at that stage?

Xegethra said:

I don't know why people are saying this, it is critical condition after all and he has taken a few beatings to the face. I think it's fine, it's no good showing critical status if he doesn't look critically injured.

The low damage and medium damage could be separated a bit more but otherwise I think it's fine

I just say this because the "low" face has fairly little blood and then suddenly he's just covered in blood out of nowhere.

Now critical doesn't much look like critical...I think if you move down the damage levels by one, and then put the old critical back in, the progression might look more appropriate.

Still great work though.

Milten form dengine.net forum create ZDoom version. Not everything is perfectly scaling yet but its work:

Reinchard High resolution HUD for ZDoom

Reinchard High resolution HUD for Doomsday Engine

I saw today that whole affair with Joe-Ilya (he was loosered or banned because he told that one of my previous version of Doomguys teeth looking retarded), but to be honest - he has right, so I decide to fix that. Of course he could be more gentle so thanks to every one for support. Feel free to add constructive criticism. I am aware that not all frames looks like original, but is very difficult to animate face that way - original art is draw by hand, so on every stage that face looks little different.

does anyone else think the old flat shaded square where the head is positioned on the status bar may need some sort of subtle detail now that everything is hd? it looks funny thanks to the increase in detail everywhere else... just a thought anyway.

looks awesome though bro. i wish i could make my efforts look so good lol.