Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Storage Bay - on idgames!

I really liked this. There are many nice touches on the visuals and a good action.

I liked this, just one few minor thing, the imps that are revealed when you take the blue key need better line of sight as they didn't spot me.

FDA. Typical Walter Confalonieri map in terms of very simple gameplay with linear progression (even though the level branches and crosses itself, there's one main path you must follow to reach the exit). Detailing was nice and the gameplay was fun, although as I said, simplistic a lot. I also wanted to point out the same thing as Pinchy did. Anyway, I liked it. Perhaps you would remove unused textures too.

I'll just be honest, I don't like this map. Here's why:

-The indoor areas are too narrow, making it nearly impossible to avoid the attacks from the enemies.
-The progression is quite linear, safe for the part where you must pick the blue key. You could add some more backtracking to make it feel more challenging.
-This is rather personal, but I generally don't like it when someone puts three or more imps in an unreachable area (I'm referring to the imps in the southeast area of where you start). I can deal with one or two imps placed in an unreachable area, but three or more imps can be ammo-wasting for me.

Other than that, everything just looks well.

Thanks for all the feedback, fixed the imps bug and removed the unused textures so it's no more 2.5 MB map, link is the same in OP.

@taufan99: thanks for the feedback, i'll see what can i do...

Also, people don't hate backtracking maps? The problem in hadephobia MAP16 was that! Or this works only on big maps?

Backtracking is OK when combined with repopulating the map. At least opening monster closets or teleporting new monsters in, preferably something even more inventine than that, like opening new parts of the layout to cross / blend with already visited parts. Completely linear progression, without free choice where to go next (because one correct path is strictly determined), may feel wrong. Being completely hopelessly lost is not good either.

I appreciated map, rather nostalgic altogether :) (You can to become a memfis guy!). However, I didn't understand where from came these noises of monsters teleportations... I finished the map without finding the room where monsters teleported.

Fixed the map again to the taufan99 feedback, link is always the same on OP!

Also fixed a crashing bug on texture pack (it don't found a certian patch file resulting in crashing all the wad) and added more secret sections that appears when you go through the map, and added a way to reach the crate room you see in the yellow key room through the windows, to simplify the way to reach said room (the one that franckFRAG heard telephoning noises) over the speedrun jump...

As usual feedback are appreciated!

Ragnor said:

Needs a semen river

lol anyway, i've uploaded this map (with a minor fix)to idgames last nigth, when it's ready i'll put a link to it

It's on the archives now, check the OP post for download and such stuff!

Sorry for double post!

Noice! Before to exit the map I walked for like 5 minutes to find the switch that opens the monster closet in the crate storage lol.

Map is fun, short, and has really nice texturing. Everything looks clean and presentable and the map flows quite well!

I will admit I was walking around like and idiot - Couldn't find the yellow key, but it was in that damn little sewer tunnel! I should have checked there sooner..

I really liked it, looking forward to more of your maps Walter :)

Overall it's a very decent level, personally I like monster traps a bit harsher though, for example if the player got sealed in the room when the imps came out etc.. However the way the monsters arrived from the outdoor area after I flicked the switch did jump me, so congrats on that. The texturing is good too.

Hmm, this would work as standard Map01 pretty well. My only gripe was the placement of switch (linedef 1770) that opens teleporters after you grab the yellow key - it is very easy to miss. In fact, I had to deliberately search for it in order to have 100% kills, as it opens some monster closets, too.

This map was great Walter! I'll break down my thoughts in 4 sections.

Oh, also, I noticed the "mandatory Doom reference" lol. It's one of the most memorable moments of the original Doom for me, partly because it scared the Hell outta me the first time I played Doom. ^^

Gameplay:
Possibly the most important category. This map played out like some of the best MAP01's I've ever played. The spacing between guns was a nice touch; I like to work for my upgrades. It took me a couple seconds to remember that hallway in the acid. The progression from there was very linear, which I don't mind, but it's not worth mentioning here. Non-linearity is good for a map01 anyway. After I got the chaingun, I almost exclusively used that until I ran out of ammo, at which point I was sittin on like 40 shells and less than 15 guys left. I was extremely happy to see myself revisit the starting outside area, because I thought it looked cool. Took me a sec to find the blue key, but I remembered seeing a couple cubby holes on the map there so that only took a sec to figure out after I realized that I had hit a dead end at the exit door. Most of the map I was hurting on health, because I got suprised by the shotgunners in the exit room before I picked up the shotgun (I didn't even check to see that I could just walk on over the ledge by the blue key >.<) and by the chaingunners in the room with the acid pit. Sarge was correct about the let down at the end, I too was hoping for something tougher than chaingunners. Also, I would have liked to see more monsters that would make me want to use my shotgun over the chaingun. I would have preferred a bit more health and a few more enemies, though, to make the gameplay just a bit more intense.

Gameplay Rating: 8/10

Monster Placement:
The monster placement was great. I may not have played the version with the "bugged" imps in the blue key room, but I had no problems with any enemies or where they were. I like imps/projectile-based enemies in unreachable locations; it adds interest to an otherwise "here's everyone in front of you, oh, and there's a guy behind you" type of map. I really liked the order that monsters were presented, with each group and situation feeling a bit tenser. I also liked the small bit of repopulation. There really should have been some sort of "boss" and I would have preferred some monsters that would make me use the shotgun more scattered throughout the level, though the limited numbers of bullets fixed that, lol.

Monster Placement Rating: 9/10

Item Placement:
Item placement was great. Personally, I needed a touch more bullets, given the enemy set, but total ammo was absolutely never a problem. Health on the other hand... heh. Well, I f*cked up in the beginning, so minus those two suprises, I prolly would have been sitting good the whole time.

Item Placement Rating: 9/10 (the last point is subjective, but doesn't impact overall score)

Aesthetics:
What cant I say here? The map looked f*ckin great. I loved the outside area; I liked the way you imagined grass and made it higher than 5he patch of dirt and the small trench. I also loved the fact that I didn't notice ANY texture misalignments. The two funny holes by the blue key were nicely detailed on their ceilings, despite the fact that most people prolly wouldn't even notice a difference of you made those two ceilings flat. Attention to detail... can't be understated. Something that stuck out to me was the place with the computer map and the window over-looking the ocean. Nice touch, especially the mini-mountain (that's meant to look like a HUGE mountain off in the distance), I bought it. The one thing I didn't like about that sweet ocean view was that it was square, totally noticable. Nonetheless, absolutely fantastic job. I'd love to play another one of your maps.

Aesthetics Rating: 10/10

Over-All Rating: 9/10 maybe closer to 9 and a half, lol.

I would have preferred a few more enemies (not hitscan) combined with just a bit more health to make the gameplay a bit more intense. As it was, it was like a casual stroll on an absolutely beautiful beach, that was just a hair unforgiving.

*Edit* I forgot one last thing, the music. Great choice! The Anthrax in the background of this level definitely felt right and that midi-drummer was killin that shit! Lol, but seriously, the author of that midi file needs to be commendated for a job well done.

Great job with this map Walter! Keep em rollin!

*Edit*

No bump, but you're welcome Walter, it was my pleasure to play