Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JasonWanderer

Passive AI?

Recommended Posts

Afternoon everyone.
How's everyone doing?

SO! I'm making a DOOM WAD and I was curious if with a bit of programming I can potentially make one of the enemies, say an Imp, passive.

I don't want him to fight other monsters. I just want him to not attack the player unless the player attacks him.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

~ Jason

Share this post


Link to post

If you're using DECORATE, you can make an actor that inherits from the regular imp, then give it a Spawn state without the A_Look function. To have it not react to sounds, you can either set it to ambush/deaf in the editor or give it the +AMBUSH flag.

Share this post


Link to post

The hackish vanilla way to do this might be to flag him as deaf while sticking him in a tiny sector with the map's REJECT lump modified so the game thinks he can't see you until he moves. Attacking him should wake him up and when he moves away from the tiny sector he'll see you.

EDIT: Unless you're going for something that works with vanilla Doom then don't do this. It promises a world of tedium and glitches.

Share this post


Link to post
Aliotroph? said:

The hackish vanilla way to do this might be to flag him as deaf while sticking him in a tiny sector with the map's REJECT lump modified so the game thinks he can't see you until he moves. Attacking him should wake him up and when he moves away from the tiny sector he'll see you.

EDIT: Unless you're going for something that works with vanilla Doom then don't do this. It promises a world of tedium and glitches.


Pretty sure that's used in MAP02 of Requiem. Also you could possibly just put him in a self-referencing sector as well, which is a bit less hassle.

Share this post


Link to post
Da Spadger said:

If you're using DECORATE, you can make an actor that inherits from the regular imp, then give it a Spawn state without the A_Look function.

Giving him Spawn animation without Look codepointer works in vanilla DEHACKED too. Then he won't even react to sound. Only to pain.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

Just to clarify: all of this would be done in the actor script, not a separate script file, correct?

Thanks,

~ Jason

Share this post


Link to post

If you are going to use the DECORATE method suggested by Tango Da Spadger, then yes.

(EDIT: How could I confuse the names?)

Share this post


Link to post

Mod idea: make a lethal megamonster block a walkway. If the player wants to pass, he'll have to attack this guardian, who will move out of the way but retaliate with total doom.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

Mod idea: make a lethal megamonster block a walkway. If the player wants to pass, he'll have to attack this guardian, who will move out of the way but retaliate with total doom.


To be honest, I was going to use this for a bar scenario.

However, you just gave me a good idea.
Maybe it's a club or something of the sort.

The player is not allowed to enter because the bouncer/security guard doesn't like him or something.

You got my brain cells working again printz!

Thanks for that.


~ Jason

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×