Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beed28

[ZDoom] Doom: Megabounce r05 - AKA Bouncy Doom

(or as TerminusEst13 once called it, "Bouncy Doom")

Spoiler

Click the gif for a non jittery HTML5 version!

What would Doom be like if the game world started jumping on a trampoline? What if entire maps become humongous bouncy castles? Welcome to Mr. Giovanni Romero's Wild Ride, where the ride never ends! Each bump lifts you up off of your feet and into the air, and additionally, everything else; monsters, barrels, items, everything; also jumps upwards. You can take advantage of this, though, to reach higher ledges! But it's hard to run around; manoeuvring is now more difficult
because everything is so bouncy. Be careful around narrow ledges, you could easily be shaken off of them! Enjoy falling in MAP24 over and over!

To help you out, the Radiation Suit powerup has been replaced with a pair of boots that cuts down on your bouncing while they're active, whilst also providing the usual protection against damaging floors.

There is also a settings menu where you can you can adjust several options, such as the strength of the bouncing, how frequent it is, how well you can control whilst airborne, and more! The key to open the settings menu is bound to 'K' by default, but you can change it in the usual controls menu.

Should be compatible with most vanilla oriented mappacks and gameplay mods. If using a mappack, add it AFTER Megabounce for best results. If Megabounce doesn't work properly, try using the latest ZDoom or GZDoom SVN build.

Motion sickness warning, obviously. If you do find it nauseating or headache inducing, however, try going into the settings menu and turning on the "Dampen Screen Bouncing" option, or alternatively, turning down the "Screen Bounce Intensity" slider.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler

r05
* New CVAR: sv_megabounce_bouncestrength. Determines how high things are kicked into the air. This also affects how hard the screen bounces and how loud the "THUD!" noise is. Defaults to 32. Not even the boots are going to help you much when this is set to higher values...
* Added ZDoom's sv_aircontrol CVAR to the settings menu as a slider. If you want to move easier in the air, turn it up. This setting does not save, so you'll need to adjust it each time you start the game.
* Descriptive text in settings screen now uses a different colour; as long as you're using the latest (G)ZDoom builds.
* Added "Reset to defaults" option to settings screen.
* When object displacement is on, the screen shaking now has a neat roll effect to it. (GZDoom only)
* Added "README.txt" file.

r04
* Submitted for 64k competition.
* Pretty much a near rewrite. The old method from r01 and r02 now works with any map in the latest ZDoom SVN revisions.
* New boots! These replace the radiation suit. Slip these boots on and you won't be bounced about as much while they're active. Besides that, they also offer the same protection from damaging sectors like the regular radiation suit.
* New settings menu, keybind to open it bound to 'K' by default.

r03
* New CVAR: sv_megabounce_dampenshake. Uses the dampened camera shake from r02.
* Items and map placed corpses now bounce individually.
* Reworked bounce mechanic; should now work properly with large maps.

r02
* New CVAR: sv_megabounce_norandomdelays. Makes the delays between bounces constant instead of random.
* Radiation Suits now bounce. Whoops, forgot about that one!
* Most of the map placed corpses now bounce.
* Stuff is no longer bounced while midair.
* Keys now properly show up in the status bar.
* Dampened camera shake a little.

r01
* First release.

CREDITS:
Spoiler

Major Cooke, for his wonderful work on A_RadiusGive, for which without this mod would not have been possible. Thank you! :)
wildweasel, for reviewing this when I submitted it to the 64k competition.
TerminusEst13, for giving this a shout out in the second part of his DUMP 3 stream after he played my map a second time. Cheers!
Lud, whose "Custom Doom" mod inspired me to add a customisable settings menu to this.

DOWNLOAD:
Please use the latest ZDoom/GZDoom svn!
r05: https://www.sendspace.com/file/2orxd2

OLD DOWNLOADS

I'm certainly interested but I hope it doesn't make me sick.

EDIT: My reaction when I was incredibly surprised by how fucking terrifying this is

this would actually make getting through crusher segments a whole lot harder.

otherwise, I fucking ADORE it. casually played E2M1 with it, and jumped out the window accidently trying to pick up the blue key. hilarious mod.

First impression: I think I have to puke.

Anyway do you know if Doom 2 is 100% complete able without cheats with this mod enabled? If not there is only one way to find out :)

Haven't played through all of Doom II yet with this. But I do know that the bouncing makes MAP24 way harder to complete.

Also, forgot to mention, everybody; if you find it nauseating, try turning down the Earthquake Shake Intensity slider in the Display Options menu.

I've decided to make a couple of improvements to this thingy:
- removed quake effect, made delays between bounces much less random -> 384.26% smoother bouncing experience for all family.
- stuff is no longer bounced while midair
- players now have full air control
- new bounce sound effects
- catchy tune!

GET BOUNCING!

I've only played MaxED's version. Keycards don't show up on the status bar when you pick them up (but you can open locked doors after you pick them up anyway). Also, maybe player's normal ability to jump should be disabled? Anyway, interesting!

scifista42 said:

I've only played MaxED's version. Keycards don't show up on the status bar when you pick them up (but you can open locked doors after you pick them up anyway). Also, maybe player's normal ability to jump should be disabled? Anyway, interesting!

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. They show up fine in the corner with the fullscreen HUD, which I was using. I'll fix that in the next update.

Speaking of which, something I'd like to see for the next update is a fitting TITLEPIC.

I would love it if someone made a TITLEPIC that fits in with the bouncy mood. Something cartoony, like an interior shot of an inflatable techbase and things jumping around. Try to take time to make it look appealing. Nothing obscene, though.

New update! This fixes a few things, as well as integrate an option to keep the bounce delays constant.

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

r02
* New CVAR: sv_megabounce_norandomdelays. Makes the delays between bounces constant instead of random.
* Radiation Suits now bounce. Whoops, forgot about that one!
* Most of the map placed corpses now bounce.
* Stuff is no longer bounced while midair.
* Keys now properly show up in the status bar.
* Dampened camera shake a little.

DOWNLOAD r02: https://www.sendspace.com/file/aht79g

New update! Want to bounce on huge maps, such as Deus Vult MAP05 or Back to Saturn X Episode 2 MAP20? Buckle up, 'cause it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

r03
* New CVAR: sv_megabounce_dampenshake. Uses the dampened camera shake from r02.
* Items and map placed corpses now bounce individually.
* Reworked bounce mechanic; should now work properly with large maps.

DOWNLOAD r03: https://www.sendspace.com/file/xgnvsa

Hi! After a long while, I released a new update of this silly mod.

Some more details are on the OP. Have fun!

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

r05
* New CVAR: sv_megabounce_bouncestrength. Determines how high things are kicked into the air. This also affects how hard the screen bounces and how loud the "THUD!" noise is. Defaults to 32. Not even the boots are going to help you much when this is set to higher values...
* Added ZDoom's sv_aircontrol CVAR to the settings menu as a slider. If you want to move easier in the air, turn it up. This setting does not save, so you'll need to adjust it each time you start the game.
* Descriptive text in settings screen now uses a different colour; as long as you're using the latest (G)ZDoom builds.
* Added "Reset to defaults" option to settings screen.
* When object displacement is on, the screen shaking now has a neat roll effect to it. (GZDoom only)
* Added "README.txt" file.

r04
* Submitted for 64k competition.
* Pretty much a near rewrite. The old method from r01 and r02 now works with any map in the latest ZDoom SVN revisions.
* New boots! These replace the radiation suit. Slip these boots on and you won't be bounced about as much while they're active. Besides that, they also offer the same protection from damaging sectors like the regular radiation suit.
* New settings menu, keybind to open it bound to 'K' by default.

DOWNLOAD r05: https://www.sendspace.com/file/2orxd2