Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

I liked Doom before it was mainstream

I have a copy of the PC Gamer article in print. It features more screenshots, and some asides about other popular wads (like, actual level sets!). BTSX, DTWID are mentioned, among other big name wads, and half the article is littered with screens from (the first level) of The Adventures of Square. Pretty cool!

But don't worry, Doom will stop being cool again soon enough.

I noticed both articles asked, "why Doom?" As the saying goes, if you have to ask you'll never know. Being someone who played Doom as soon as it was released (prior, if you count shareware), I have no idea what it's like to discover it now. I do suspect, however, that part of our attraction and commitment to Doom is at least contextual in nature. At it's time, Doom was arguably the most technologically advanced game that told a gripping story without holding your hand. It created an atmosphere reinforced by its depth and style, leaving a tantalizing seed of the unknown to germinate in the mind. The game literally took you to Hell and back in vivid detail when nothing else could.

For me, and many people here, there is no need to ask why.

I've often wondered what it would be like to look at Doom with fresh eyes in this era of gaming. It must not be too bad because most of the people I've shown it to in the last 3-4 years enjoyed playing and wanted to play it again next time I saw them.

This game does not get old. Not to me, at least.

Bucket said:

Cool, I never knew Cyriak made a WAD.

He's actually a member here. He goes by the name "Mouldy"

You know, I never honestly felt old in my life. That is... until I started seeing all these DOOM articles and todays youth and gamers coming of age commenting and the commotion it's causing. I really didn't feel old at all until I started reading about how retro and yester-year gaming is the fresh thing to be today. More so, the legacy this still carries. I mean, I always knew it was important, I knew that it was awesome (and still the best game, to me), I knew what it did, what its doing, where its going.... but it never felt like that happened over 20 years ago.

But what really brought me to realization is kind of funny... Big box games. When I goto ebay, and I see a sealed copy of DOOM 2 or even Quake 3, costing $200+, when it felt just like yesterday I was at the store buying this for $40 and saw it in a bargain bin a year or so later... when these listings STILL have a price sticker for $19.99 on them... and now we are paying $200, $300, $500+ for "collectors pieces"... That made me feel old, like I lived through a era that can't ever be relived again. That I got to experience that, and todays gamers never will. Sure, they can play them, but they'll never experience those first days of FPS and all the excitement and anticipation that went along with it.

I remember playing Wolfenstein and Doom with my dad before he passed away. Now, my nephews come over and want to play on my computer, and they're into the classic id games because I made damn well sure those would be the first games they ever got to play on a PC.

Other than the fact my hair and beard are greying at a ungodly rate, and I officially turn 33 at midnight tonight, I never really felt "old" until all this started.

Buckshot said:

You know, I never honestly felt old in my life. That is... until I started seeing all these DOOM articles and todays youth and gamers coming of age commenting and the commotion it's causing. I really didn't feel old at all until I started reading about how retro and yester-year gaming is the fresh thing to be today. More so, the legacy this still carries. I mean, I always knew it was important, I knew that it was awesome (and still the best game, to me), I knew what it did, what its doing, where its going.... but it never felt like that happened over 20 years ago.

But what really brought me to realization is kind of funny... Big box games. When I goto ebay, and I see a sealed copy of DOOM 2 or even Quake 3, costing $200+, when it felt just like yesterday I was at the store buying this for $40 and saw it in a bargain bin a year or so later... when these listings STILL have a price sticker for $19.99 on them... and now we are paying $200, $300, $500+ for "collectors pieces"... That made me feel old, like I lived through a era that can't ever be relived again. That I got to experience that, and todays gamers never will. Sure, they can play them, but they'll never experience those first days of FPS and all the excitement and anticipation that went along with it.

I remember playing Wolfenstein and Doom with my dad before he passed away. Now, my nephews come over and want to play on my computer, and they're into the classic id games because I made damn well sure those would be the first games they ever got to play on a PC.

Other than the fact my hair and beard are greying at a ungodly rate, and I officially turn 33 at midnight tonight, I never really felt "old" until all this started.

Shit, I'm 32 and didn't feel that old until you said you're 33.

Pavera said:

BTSX, DTWID are mentioned, among other big name wads, and half the article is littered with screens from (the first level) of The Adventures of Square.

OMG, all wads that Memfis hates lol.

roadworx said:

Wait...wouldn't that make you a hipster then?

Exactly. Doom was mainstream since November 10th, 1993! (Doom 1's shareware release date!)

Superluigieth1 said:

Exactly. Doom was mainstream since November 10th, 1993! (Doom 1's shareware release date!)

So that makes him a time travelling hipster.

Superluigieth1 said:

Time travelling hipster, heh.

Oh god, that means...
That Linguica is the Doctor!

Cool. Nice to see that the attention around the new game is also throwing the spotlight on the originals, and that it's not just retro-gaming nostalgia stuff, but references things currently be done with them.

Also, I look forward to this year's annual Cacodemon Awards.

Why do people act like it's a bad thing when their favorite piece gets to be popular? It's one thing if the piece conforms to the popular and loses its lust but I don't see Doom doing that.

This might get out of control. I foresee hordes of noobs clogging the creative-wad pipe. Which would be AWESOME! I see new people all excited about their first maps, almost begging people to play their second map, and it fills me with excitement. I remember when I learned to map and how my excitement.... all those exclamation points.
A few days ago I saw it with two noobs, all excited and stuff, asking people to check out their latest map in some weird off-topic thread. Updating their original map thread with various fixes because they feel like a game designer. It's pretty damn cool to reflect on. I just hope they're resilient to the more stern criticisms around here. Some people criticize rudely, perhaps unintentionally, maybe because critics don't get much love :(, and it could be a turnoff to sensitive or young noobs.

But hell, D00M isn't the place for pussies or queers. Getdafukoutteh

Bucket said:

Cool, I never knew Cyriak made a WAD.

And it's the best megawad ever made! (in my opinion)

I also liked Doom before it was mainstream.

Flesh420 said:

Well. Uh. This escalated quickly. Can we please not be that kind of community?

esselfortium said:

Well. Uh. This escalated quickly. Can we please not be that kind of community?

Yeah I don't like seeing that sort of thing ever *eyes flicker towards EE subforum*

Flesh420 said:

[Doomguy777]DOOM is about a white man fighting against hell, Doomguy must be a white man because he's a real man and not some pussy nancy boy[/Doomguy777]