Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The 1st Gamer

What if Doom 4 Guy is Doom 4 Girl?

Threads like these are one of the many reasons why EE drives away potential new members.

>Bombshell

You rang? ;D

I for one would welcome Doomgal with open arms! Also glad I missed the shitfest earlier in this thread. I had hoped gamergate was finally being laid to rest, but apparently there are still mountain dew chugging neckbeards pounding away angrily at their keyboards with dorito stained fingers who won't give up the fight.

nxGangrel said:

Come to think of it. Any Wads with the player as Doomgirl?

Off hand, the only thing I can think of is the protag from Harmony, but that's not "Doomgirl" per se. Great TC though!!

Clonehunter said:

Oh god that game looks terrible. And besides, she's not even close to being a female Duke, just some generic cyborg really. Hardly the hedonist we all know and... chews bubblegum.

I can't think of Doomguy as anything else but a grizzled grunt, letting off loud farts, spitting on the floor and causing Shock and Awe everytime he removes his jackboots in the bunks [/toughgreekguy]

If they're going down modern game design routes they're gonna have broken mirrors if they have them at all so you're never gonna see yourself so it doesn't matter. Also thank fuck for no mirrors so they can't do that spooky red thing again.

A female space suit isn't a female space suit unless you can see some SKINNNNN

ChickenOrBeef said:

I'm of the opinion that the gender representation criticizers should start making more video games if they want characters to be a certain gender, instead of demanding some type of quota. Criticizing a certain character for being offensive is one thing, but simply demanding more female characters doesn't make sense to me.

I completely agree with you!

I'm of the opinion that the <insert random group of customer here> criticizers should start making more video games if they want games to cater to their tastes, instead of demanding game developers to appeal their product to their customers. Criticizing a certain game for being offensive is one thing, but simply demanding more varied games to cater to more diverse groups of people doesn't make sense to me.

I don't actually hold that opinion of course, because it's stupid.

Let's be real. If somebody wasn't going to like Doom 4 without a female protagonist, they weren't going to like it with one. I mean, I think that's true of most games sans certain RPGs, but in Doom you're practically just a pair of disembodied hands whose purpose is to slaughter demons. It's not exactly a character-centric series.

Megalyth said:

No complaints here.

Okay, for the first time ever I'm gonna say, the skin showing was just unnecessary.

Akira_98 said:

Let's be real. If somebody wasn't going to like Doom 4 without a female protagonist, they weren't going to like it with one.

People often take issue with how these discussions are done. But with comments like these I am struggling to write posts that aren't offensive to the person I am replying to. The position here is so vapidly binary that it's hard to take it even remotely seriously.

The fact that this is so obviously true makes it not even worth to bring up. But it also shows how you completely miss the point of the entire discussion. People play games for different reasons, but most of us at least want to feel like we are represented in the games. That makes the games better to our experience.

A game may not stand or fall based on any one feature. But one rather major feature that is missing in most games is this of representation. A trifle to address, though it does cost some development time. But it's a very minimal cost to any AAA publisher, regardless of what they claim.
Like, Ubi soft for some reason wouldn't add female skins to Ass Creed Unity because it would cost too much to animate them. Which I find hard to believe.

But the biggest resistance to these changes comes from the male gamers that seem to be feeling like they protect their secret club house from those icky girls that want to get their sticky fingers all over our cool boy stuff. Even though that would have minimal to no effect to our gaming habits anyway. But that's maybe just me misunderstanding the people opposing these rather simple changes. Because they seem to not really know themselves why it is so important to them.

One simple question for those folks who believe the lack of women in video games is a problem: If you believe gender doesn't matter, then why do you even care that video games don't contain as many women as they do men?

Because, I really can't help but scratch my head when I hear people yell "GENDER DOESN'T MATTER AND THAT IS WHY WE NEED TO CARE ABOUT THE GENDER OF PEOPLE IN VIDEO GAMES!!!".

EDIT: Also, that Doom girl kind of proves my point. She doesn't look masculine at all. I also love it how she wears basically no armor so that it's possible to show off her skin.

A more helpful question might be: if gender doesn't matter, why does it default to men?

hardcore_gamer said:

EDIT: Also, that Doom girl kind of proves my point. She doesn't look masculine at all. I also love it how she wears basically no armor so that it's possible to show off her skin.

*heavy sigh*

Games with men on the cover sell games more than women on the cover. Lara Croft being the only anomaly because she was the first in polygons and something had to keep the game from getting busted for Indiana Jones infringement.

Reading through this thread makes me want to finish one of my specific Doom fan fictions. Critics really derailed it.

hardcore_gamer said:

One simple question for those folks who believe the lack of women in video games is a problem: If you believe gender doesn't matter,

Let me just stop your strawman argument right there, no one is arguing that gender doesn't matter

The only problem most of the internet race and gender seem to have with anything gender related in games will now be destroyed ;

What if a multi oriented man could get an erection from seeing the muscular nude skin and chest of Doomguy or any unrealistic or realistic man in games, and what if your mom gets aroused by looking at the unrealistic or realistic men like doomguys in games ?

hypocrites... *mind -> boom*

Captain Red said:

A more helpful question might be: if gender doesn't matter, why does it default to men?

One of the theories I've heard is that they are easily disposable, and they don't need any justification. For FPS games at least. Now, try to put woman in same shoes.

Heck, I need that Guybrush/Galbrush comparison text I've seen that flung in the internet.

In here:

I'm pretty disappointed with the amount of arguing or "debating" as it's been called in this thread. It's great to see a popular thread, but it's popular for all the wrong reasons. I just wanted to bring up what I thought was an interesting idea or new take on Doom 4, something beyond the color scheme and monster list. Nonetheless, I do appreciate the few lighthearted and non-attacking replies that have been posted, though I don't recall the users off the top of my head so hopefully you can just accept my thanks. Also, I see that the arguing put this into Everything Else; however, I still feel it belongs in the Doom 4 forum area as it pertains directly to Doom 4 or at least the original post does. This is just my two cents. Happy dooming or whatever the verb would be?

DooM_RO said:

Farmville and Candy Crush players are by no means gamers and if you do consider them gamers, I'm just going to ignore you from now on.

On what basis are these people not gamers? Stop being stupid.

This is where I gleefully applaud Bethesda for making some of the least sexist games, even if their writing seems to get worse ever time.

I'm all for a doomgirl. It'll upset so many stupid kids it'll be the best thing ever. The web drama will probably be more entertaining than the game.