• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

E3 discussion [outdated]

=============================
EDIT (2019):
This is a dumb thread made by a dumb Noiser.
I'm an idiot.

Edited by Noiser

We haven't seen all the levels and every single thing shown off so far, even as a tiny thumbnail, could literally be from the exact same set of levels.
Based on the small plot detail, it sounds like you will be outside the UAC base for a certain amount of time, maybe even outside on the surface of the planet at some point.
Plus for all we know there could be a whole sci fi carnival section with all these bright lights and colors and such. We won't know until the game comes out.
Even Doom 3 had a small amount of color variety across some of the levels, even though it was miniscule.

True story: recently when playing with colors on photo I excluded most everything, besides cyan and orange and thought to myself: «Now my photo looks ultra kewl and prophessional». How wrong I was... :D

Thanks for the link, it's quite interesting, though i only glanced over it for now.

IMHO, game designers should obviously follow different set of color rules that applies to cinema and photography. I think it'd be a mistake to make game cinematic, of course, it'd look neat in adverteisements and on TV screen, but I doubt it won't harm the gameplay.

DooM_RO said:

These were made by Mithran Denizen

rofl

I said it in a different thread, but it really does seem like the colors and lighting are basically entirely environment-based. Yeah, the refinery/mill and Hell both looking really dreary with their colors is a bad choice for an E3 demonstration, but hell, look at the control room where the player has to get the severed hand. It seems like pretty much everything is determined by location for colors, with most enemies and weapons being fairly muted to be influenced more by their surroundings.

RikohZX said:

I said it in a different thread, but it really does seem like the colors and lighting are basically entirely environment-based. Yeah, the refinery/mill and Hell both looking really dreary with their colors is a bad choice for an E3 demonstration, but hell, look at the control room where the player has to get the severed hand. It seems like pretty much everything is determined by location for colors, with most enemies and weapons being fairly muted to be influenced more by their surroundings.

This.

Noiser said:

And just to point out: In the same MAP01 you have a tekgren corridor, a blue carpet room, blue water, grass... but hell, I'm not even suggesting that has to be that way. I said what I think about the originals.

Which is basically what I'm saying too. DON'T JUDGE THE WHOLE GAME BASED ON A FEW SCREENSHOTS AND A COUPLE OF AREAS!

Those altered Doom 2 screenshots just show how silly this whole debacle is.

DooM_RO said:

Doom 2 is so brown and ugly its like a monkey cage after elephants have been in it. Its still a step up from all of the grey of episode 1.

The logic of ugly colors isn't realism, its to make the enemies stand out.

Brown has always been important to me being named after Earth and all...

For the laughs I looked up brown color personality and found this:

http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/personality-color-brown.html

If Your Favorite Color is Brown

You are honest, down-to-earth and wholesome, salt of the earth people with both feet planted firmly on the ground.
You are steady and reliable and quietly confident.
You are friendly and approachable, genuine and sincere.
With a personality color brown you have a keen sense of duty and responsibility - you take your obligations very seriously.

You are a home body - family and family life is extremely important to you.
You like physical comfort, simplicity and quality.
You are a loyal and trustworthy friend, supportive and dependable.
You are sensitive to the needs of others and sensitive to criticism by others.
If you are a personality color brown, you are sensual, warm and supportive.
Others are comfortable in your presence and find it easy to open up to and confide in you.
You are hard-working, industrious and reliable.
You take life seriously but have a subtle dry sense of humor.
You like a structured life with everything in its place, although you are not a perfectionist by any means.
You are materialistic, appreciating quality in everything - a comfortable home, the best food and drink and loyal companionship.
You may suppress your emotions at times, retreating from the outside world.
You tend not to be carefree and spontaneous. You prefer to know exactly what is going on before you commit - no surprise parties for you!
You feel uncomfortable about losing control but will work hard to change a situation that seems unjust or unfair.
You have a strong need for security and a sense of belonging, which is why your family is so important to you.
You often see life as a struggle believing that life wasn't meant to be easy.
You can be quite contemplative, working out problems and becoming quite absorbed until you find a solution.
Others are drawn to you when they need comfort and support - you have a warm and encouraging manner that gives reassurance to others.
You do everything in moderation and with restraint - no over-indulging for you.
You tend to be quite frugal - you don't like to waste money or time on unnecessary frivolities or extravagances, but when you do spend, it is on quality.
You prefer to stay in your own safe little world - you don't like your little world to be upset by anything.

Doom 2 used lots of brown colors... but that monocrome color doesnt blend with the enemies, making them almost indistinguishable from each type as Doom 4 showed on the video.

All the whining about colour schemes reminds me to the pre-release time of Diablo III a few years ago...

GoatLord said:

I suspect that when we get the chance to examine the game as a whole, we'll see a wider range of hues.

And then people will complain that the hues aren't varied enough. Because gamers will never be happy or satisfied with anything. Everything will be in order, nothing has changed, nothing of value was lost.

kelliegator said:

And then people will complain that the hues aren't varied enough.

Or they will complain that it's all too colorful and not bleak enough.

Noiser said:

And because of that, no one can make negative criticism? Talk for yourself, I have been pretty solid on my arguments.

Actually, all you seem to be doing is parroting what other internet users have. Namely that retouched screenshot. You can't judge the whole game based on a couple of screenshots just as you can't judge the whole of Doom 2 based on that screenshot Mithran Denizen posted. That was the point of them.

I keep getting this sneaking suspicion that some folks were ready to hate the game no matter what, simply because Id have made a few mistepps during the last decade. So if the game was as colorful as some wanted they would have said it looked like a cartoon and made other genius fixes. Gamers just want to have a reason to be "outraged" and they will find one if they want.