Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

E3 discussion [outdated]

I do agree with OP's modern color trends in gaming issues....however I don't look at new doom as a washed out, bland, monochromatic scenery...it's pretty saturated, though it has an obvious color correction...and the photo above prooves that a certain environment would have a certain color/shade/gamma domination.
Here I tried to edit Doom presentation to give it more colorfull look...but still not good enough since the source material already has certain color corection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3f3BatXGI

idsoftware gm tweeted saying what they showed was pre-alpha, there's a lot of changes to come.

Sofar i like what i've been shown about the game. I don't think there is any "pissfilters" or stuff, i think it just looks cool.

Noiser said:

EVERYWERE?

Why wouldn't they make a level in a steel mill? It makes a heck of a lot of sense and more importantly, the heavy industrial theme about that level fits Doom PERFECTLY.

There aren't any goddamn "filters" to me it looks like the look of the levels will be heavily influenced by the lighting, similar to PSX Doom and Doom 64.

Here's an idea. Let's see how that picture of a foundry looks like without the orange colors. Anyone up for it?

DooM_RO said:

Here's an idea. Let's see how that picture of a foundry looks like without

LIKE SHIT

Spoiler

okayit'salittlecool

I only really have a problem with hell's colors, because that sulfur yellow doesn't seem very threatening. Seems almost like you're on Venus. I think as long as there's a few more colors in those maps, it won't be a problem. Keep in mind, naysayers, that we've been given only a brief look at the game. Personally, the overload of orange at the mill looks beautiful in my opinion.

GoatLord said:

I only really have a problem with hell's colors, because that sulfur yellow doesn't seem very threatening. Seems almost like you're on Venus. I think as long as there's a few more colors in those maps, it won't be a problem. Keep in mind, naysayers, that we've been given only a brief look at the game. Personally, the overload of orange at the mill looks beautiful in my opinion.

I like it too and most importantly, it makes sense. That "Deus Ex piss filter" gets a bad rep because it's everywhere whereas in Doom it is not.

Noiser said:

A lot of gamers will like... thats the point, this kind of thing conditioned people to like instantly. (or you think they do it without a purpose?)

Even because I don't see any arguments further. :-(

Oh, haha how wrong can you be.. I most definitely don't like typically stuff instantly, it's just that this actually is DOOM in hd pretty much and that was what i wanted.

Game without:

-Health regen
-Aimdownsights
-Sprint
-Weapon limit
-Bad linear level design

DOOM to me gameplay-wise looks really promising/good and the way the looks visual-wise, i also really like. If it was just original doom made as total hd remaster, it wouldn't feel new because its just really the original but in hd. While i said this is also DOOM in hd, it's not the same thing because they atleast went and did some new looks to the game and imo they fit really nicely to the doom universe.

Noiser said:

1. There is a lot of places where a level can be. is necessary to be there? No.

2. You don't answer half of my questions and what you think about the link.

3. Doom 64 is more colorful to anything I see in the reveal

4. The change of colors need to be made by professionals, not a quick edit in photoshop.

5. Posting the screenshot with TWO blue pillars don't represent too much. Is the only scene you can show me? But yeah, at least is a vague hope in the horizont.

1. And this is one of those places. Why wouldn't it be?

2. I will look over it later.

3. Imagine you are back in the mid 90s and the game was just announced. Would you judge it based only on those 2 screens?

4. Exactly

5. It doesn't but it does PROVE that the whole game will not be set just in a steel foundry and a sulphurous mountain. For all we know, each level could be vastly different from the last.

Finally, those are not filters, it seems to me that the look of the game is greatly influenced by the lighting and it makes sense that the game looks like it does it their respective environments. Look at that photo with the real Steel Mill I posted. Wouldn't it look strange if the walls were not illuminated with orage light?

Noiser said:

NO, they should choose a place with less predominance of orange and cyan

I don't see why they should cripple list of possible environments for the sake of having only the most colorful levels for the sake of color in what's already been established as an industrial/wasteland setting somewhat grounded in reality.

And what color would they use instead of cyan to contrast the necessary-for-the-setting orange slag, purple? It'd look fucking hideous --the orange itself is too intense. Even the early Sonic games, as insanely surreal and vivid as they were with their levels' color palettes, only used the two colors together if at least one was in a very muted form. And even if they did that, the orange light would overpower the purple or green or blue base and tint it a fugly blackish color.

Noiser said:

Look at the UAC ULTRA from 40oz for example. It's atmospheric, scary, monochromatic in a good way... but you have red, yellow and green lights all around (in FULL bright), placed in a specific way that looks even more tense in contrast of the map design.

Or BTSX that have a competent usage of desaturated colors and looks grim enough, with green (a lot of green), brown, red and EVEN cyan and orange.

Or Doom 64 with a great usage of purple as mentioned.

That is too much to ask for?

I read an article you posted....do you know who is an art directior at id now? The guy who worked on Pacific Rim. And what is PR? That's right - it is an orange/teal fest. I think that explains why doom has this pallete. Though I think PR has more varied colors.
Making a game with strong cinematic feel is very important in terms of appealing to masses.
Pople will say: "Wow look at this its soo cinematic!" And in fact it is...Doom looks very cinematic.
And those classic doom screens don't help here either....original doom do not have color grading/balance, every color is separate and has no influence.
There's huge lava areas that do not have any color bouncing/influence/reflection.....an area with such big orangy glowing stuff would be illuminated accordingly.

I like how the thread is called "Explaining why the COLORS SUCKS" and the argument presented is pretty much "I don't like it!". That article really has no point. I've read it years ago and I thought as much back then. Oh noes, a certain combination of colors is popular among designers! How horrible! Fuck, in the foundry level the oh-so-awful "teal and orange" don't even normally coexist at the same time, you have separate orange and blue areas. It's nothing like a general color scheme like in movies. As has been said by me and others (like in that thread I made about a badly recolored screenshot that is way too popular), the colors are a natural result of the lighting in the areas.

Doom 1 gets garish as fuck in places with a real color diversity, and even places like the very beginning of e1m1 look unnaturally cartonish because all colors are at full strength. It simply doesn't work like that IRL unless you have REALLY saturated colors (because of how light reflects all over the place and shit like that), for which there is never a good reason in a futuristic mars base, or in hell either. No game that is even trying to look remotely realistic will ever have Doom 1's color palette. I'd pick an environment that feels natural over something that was weirdly colored to appease certain people's artistic tastes. Maybe it's time to realize that if you want a colorful game, you should not expect a modern Doom to be it, you should turn to something like Mario instead (which is altogether not a bad choice at all, anyway!).

And then we have silly statements like "Don't set the game in environments that aren't as colorful as I want!" or "Doom 64 is colorful!" (spoiler: no it's not, there's barely ever contrast in colors) or misusing the word "gross" like some kind of tumblr-dweller, or believing that ALL criticism gets mocked around here (spoiler: it's just exceedingly silly criticism that gets mocked, look in almost any other thread, they're full of better criticism). This thread is pretty amusing.