Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noiser

E3 discussion [outdated]

I think that neo-Doom looks more colorful than most of Doom 2, if you consider how often you see those same dozen shades of brown.

So far, I like the colours in Neo-Doom a lot better than the colouration in Doom 3. After a while, I found most of Doom 3 to look very drab and depressing (despite it having lots of different colours).

Don't have that problem here.

I still can't get over that terrible piss-filter in the hell maps, it just ruins them imho.

Noiser said:

Hey people, I saw again my first posts and I realized how passive-aggressive I was being. I want to sorry to all about this, principally to DooM_RO. Definitely is not easy write in another language, If I had been more cautious maybe I could express me in a better way.

But anyway... I'm still think the colors sucks! heh

Eh, no need to apologize mate!

Avoozl said:

I still can't get over that terrible piss-filter in the hell maps, it just ruins them imho.

There is no goddamn piss filter.

DooM_RO said:

Yeah, people confuse ambient light with color grading and post processing filters. I mean, we could complain that hell's atmosphere is way too piss yellow, and that would be a fair arguement, but I don't think it is anything other than it having very strong ambient lighting.

A good example that there is a pretty robust dynamic lighting model is the part of the first demo after the player gets the super shotgun. He is in a darkish room with small amounts of mostly white light... very Doom 3 ish. While he is walking to the following hallway there is a large window showing the lava room beyond the next door, and when the player walks by it the player's gun reflects the reddish/orangish light from the hallway. The next room has very vibrant red lights and the player's weapon is awash in red when the player passes under them, then orange whenever the player is out in the open in the lava room.

Obzen said:

Yeah, people confuse ambient light with color grading and post processing filters. I mean, we could complain that hell's atmosphere is way too piss yellow, and that would be a fair arguement, but I don't think it is anything other than it having very strong ambient lighting.

A good example that there is a pretty robust dynamic lighting model is the part of the first demo after the player gets the super shotgun. He is in a darkish room with small amounts of mostly white light... very Doom 3 ish. While he is walking to the following hallway there is a large window showing the lava room beyond the next door, and when the player walks by it the player's gun reflects the reddish/orangish light from the hallway. The next room has very vibrant red lights and the player's weapon is awash in red when the player passes under them, then orange whenever the player is out in the open in the lava room.

Exactly my point. I have no idea why this is hard to understand.

Sin City's COLORS SUCK there's only red and black/white!

I don't care if it's a stylistic choice it's still very awful!

Granite filter!

DooM_RO said:

Uh, the screenshots for hell showed a shade of yellow all over, and it wouldn't matter if it were just lighting it still ruins the feeling of hell.

Noiser said:

It's not difficult to realize when they do this systematically.

The way you're acting makes it seem like you believe there's some kind of conspiracy to condition everyone to blue and teal so it can be the only colors they use in everything everywhere to save money on ink/film/system resources.

Avoozl said:

Uh, the screenshots for hell showed a shade of yellow all over, and it wouldn't matter if it were just lighting it still ruins the feeling of hell.

"Too much yellow"

"Only 3 monsters per screen, is this fucking Doom 3"?

Almost the same thing happens in Doom 4.

EDIT:

P.S Can someone make "What Doom 64 is, vs what Doom 64 should be"?

DooM_RO said:

The satire holds as long as Doom 4 also features a variety of environments that aren't restricted to a goat-urine fiesta; filter or otherwise.

People are judging 15 minutes of gameplay, it's not the entire product but it's what they showed. There's time for the developers to react to the feedback and shielding a game from criticism achieves very little.

Dinosaurs said:

The satire holds as long as Doom 4 also features a variety of environments that aren't restricted to a goat-urine fiesta; filter or otherwise.

People are judging 15 minutes of gameplay, it's not the entire product but it's what they showed. There's time for the developers to react to the feedback and shielding a game from criticism achieves very little.

Nobody is shielding the game from criticism. I am merely saying that you can't judge it based on 4 screenshots. I merely think the game deserves to get a chance and that people try to think rationally and not jump on bandwagons. Very different from shielding it from criticism.

DooM_RO said:

http://i.imgur.com/OWDSbHm.jpg

"Too much yellow"

"Only 3 monsters per screen, is this fucking Doom 3"?

Almost the same thing happens in Doom 4.

EDIT:

A few small areas with light yellow on base maps in Doom 64 is not the same thing as tons of yellow in every hell map like Doom 4 seems to have on the reveal, Doom 64 doesn't have completely yellow drenched hell maps. I think you used a very poor example there. The way it's used in that example makes sense and doesn't look like piss so much.

Avoozl said:

tons of yellow in every hell

Oh, you've played the game? Please tell us more! That's exactly my point, you don't know ANYTHING about the other areas. For all we know, every level in the game looks different. And how do you know all hell maps in Doom 4 are completely drenched in yellow? Show me some proof please.

DooM_RO said:

Oh, you've played the game? Please tell us more!

I already mentioned "like Doom 4 seems to have on the reveal" in case you missed it.

Also that area doesn't have a heavy amount of yellow like some of the Doom 4 reveals, you can still see a reasonable amount of colour. You do have to remember that Doom 64 is not an official game however.

I was only speaking of the hell reveals here not every area, I have no idea why you're bringing non-hell levels that into the argument when I wasn't speaking of them.

Id as it was during 1993/4 didn't make Doom 4 either, same name, different staff.

Hell, we might as well treat Doom 3 the same way as you seem to want to treat Doom 64.

DooM_RO said:

Nobody is shielding the game from criticism. I am merely saying that you can't judge it based on 4 screenshots.

I get your point on limited information, but people are simply criticizing those '4 screenshots.' Nobody has claimed to have played Doom 4, they are simply saying "I hope the entire game doesn't look like this."

Avoozl said:

I already mentioned "like Doom 4 seems to have on the reveal" in case you missed it.

It doesn't seem to me that every hell area/level will look like that, only a part of one hell level.

Avoozl said:

Also that area doesn't have a heavy amount of yellow like some of the Doom 4 reveals, you can still see a reasonable amount of colour.

I don't think so, it looks more shit and piss to me than Doom 4 reveal, and there are more colors in hell reveal than in that screenshot, red blood all over the floor, red lightning, Mancubus green projectiles and purple power up.

Avoozl said:

You do have to remember that Doom 64 is not an official game however.

What does that have to do with anything

Avoozl said:

I was only speaking of the hell reveals here not every area, I have no idea why you're bringing non-hell levels that into the argument when I wasn't speaking of them.

He was talking about the other hell areas and levels.

Dinosaurs said:

I get your point on limited information, but people are simply criticizing those '4 screenshots.' Nobody has claimed to have played Doom 4, they are simply saying "I hope the entire game doesn't look like this."

Then why don't they say "those screenshots look like shit to me" or "i hope the entire game doesn't look like this", but instead they say things like "Doom 4 is shit because this and this and that and that..." and treat their opinion as fact, and when you give them counter arguments they are all like "its just my opinion man, are you refuting my opinion?"