Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Doom reference in MAD Magazine (October 1996)

I've been holding on to this Mad Magazine for 19 years, thank goodness it's still in okay condition. This is from a parody of MTV's "Singled Out." In the background, you can clearly see a cyberdemon gibbing innocents; in front of him is an imp getting ready to attack.

doom_mad.jpg

Here, in the closeup, you can see that artist Bill Wray (who has worked on Ren & Stimpy) captured both characters really accurately for being such a small background detail.

doom_mad_closeup.jpg

Hah, that's awesome! I remember an issue of Cracked magazine where there was lengthy comic based on Doom, the monsters were even drawn blocky. I'll post it up if I can find it.

FUN FACT: the Doom Comic was a MAD special all along. You just weren't told.

Nice find. For some reason that cyber reminds me of the pants-wearing prototype Reaper miniatures.

Piper Maru said:

Found this on google;

Oh man, if I had known earlier the extent to which Doom influenced the media back in the day...

That's fucking hilarious! I swear I saw another Doom reference in an issue of Cracked that had nothing to do with the Brady Bunch. Also hilarious because my friend and I made a Brady Bunch YouTube Poop that has a direct Doom reference.

They did at least one video game special back in the late 90's. They also mention Doom by name in their Collector Edition's Year Special from that year