Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nathan92

Doom redesigns v2

Great zombie concept, love the coloring.

My only peeve would be that if you had a lot of these fighting at once, as you do in Doom, the hair off to one side becomes a repeated distinguishing mark, taking away from its general applicability. Visually speaking. I'd vote for a mohawk or full hair instead.

Dig the rotting nose & half consciuos look!

Sorry to pull an Arch-Vile and necro an old thread, but I'm finally able to pick this up now that a bunch of other projects are closing up. Also, now that Doom 2016 is out, I thought it'd be a good idea to kick the project into high gear again, seeing as though I'm not the biggest fan of the new designs (as much as I enjoy the game itself).

Retooled the Hellknight a bit, so here's his basic anatomy. Will probably add some details that look like armor plating to make the association with the word 'knight' more apparent.

Jaxxoon R said:

He looks like a big dweeb.

You know, you've been saying a lot of dumb shit this entire thread.

Some of the photos in the first post are broken, can you reupload them?

..I think they are or Tumblr is being a total shitbag. Maybe put copies on imgur?

Yeah, I'm re-upping them because tumblr links tend to expire for some stupid reason. So, for those that have been viewing the thread, many of these will be repeats, but I'm uploading here for convenience and because Imgur is more reliable as an image host. Forgot to shrink these down, so be warned: Clicking them makes 'em pretty huge.

Here's most of 'em! I'm in the process of retooling Mastermind and Lost Souls still, but otherwise, I think I'm mostly set on just about everyone else.

Nathan92 said:

You know, you've been saying a lot of dumb shit this entire thread.

Thanks, I'm sure that information will come in handy an entire year later. Not sure how a single post counts as an entire thread, though. Maybe come back to me about that after you tell me how an observation of a drawing's facial expression is so unwarranted and offensive. Don't ask for suggestions from other boardmembers then if my plebish words upturn your nose so badly.

Jaxxoon R said:

Thanks, I'm sure that information will come in handy an entire year later. Not sure how a single post counts as an entire thread, though. Maybe come back to me about that after you tell me how an observation of a drawing's facial expression is so unwarranted and offensive. Don't ask for suggestions from other boardmembers then if my plebish words upturn your nose so badly.

It's not just a single post. You've been seemingly against this project right from the get go, saying that certain directions I wanted to go in were either goofy, stupid or unnecessary, etc. Then you go on to making fun of the first finished piece. Saying it "looks like a dweeb" is not a suggestion, nor an observation or critique. It's a drive-by comment that offers nothing useful to me and didn't need to be made. I've handled critique much "harsher" than this, but at least those harsh critiques I've gotten before came out of a point to make whatever I was working on something better. Beyond all this, the dweeb comment is so abstract that I didn't know if you were referring to the face, or the whole damn thing. and the word dweeb doesn't mean anything to me, as I don't associate the word with anything specifically visual. It doesn't describe anything.

Asking for suggestions is what I wanted, yes. But, being met with nothing at all constructive from you is why I'm reacting the way I am. It's not being a pleb, it's being an unhelpful dick. If none of your comments are really worth saying, then why post at all? You certainly seem very uninterested in what I'm doing anyway. If you've taken care to notice, I've been taking others actual suggestions to improve the monster designs. It's how I landed on the Revenant design, among others. Because newsflash, the others are giving me ideas, not insults.

Incorrect way of "offering suggestions":

"It looks like a big dweeb" "That's really goofy, it's just some woman"

Better way of offering suggestions:

"I don't like how you handled X, maybe try X to make it look more like X...etc."

Maybe think before you say things, that ought to help.

K

Nathan92 said:

You've been seemingly against this project right from the get go,

Not true.

Nathan92 said:

saying that certain directions I wanted to go in were either goofy, stupid or unnecessary,

Opinions.

I don't see why you're taking these things so personally.

Jaxxoon R said:

K

Good talk.

and you're missing the point. I'm not offended. Ive been told much worse in the past. But these comments of yours are useless.

When it comes to formal critique of artwork, something completely opinion-based doesn't really mean anything, especially when you offer no alternative. You never stated why you thought the zombieman "looked like a dweeb" to you, as juvenile as that comment is. That's not a critique, and it's of no use to me. All of your comments have been along those lines. If you offered suggestions after critiquing something specific like the anatomy, line weight, perspective, etc, that'd be something to go off of. Calling it lame or conversely saying something positive like "that's cool" doesn't help me in the developmental stage of the project.

Did a quick color stab at the Pain Elemental. I basically want it to be a floating tumor, a bringer of disease. If it belches out the Lost Souls, I want to extend the same kind of idea to their design as well.

As far as the Mastermind goes, I definitely still want it to be feminine, but I'm admittedly having trouble landing on a design I like. Asking other friends and fans of doom, they like the idea of her legs still being very industrial and chunky, but juxtaposing that with an elegant face shape is tougher than it sounds.

I love these redesigns. They're like the fantastically hideous offspring of Francis Bacon and H.R. Giger.

Job said:

I love these redesigns. They're like the fantastically hideous offspring of Francis Bacon and H.R. Giger.

Thanks a ton! Francis Bacon is certainly in my mind for this project! But also wonderfully bizarre flemish style painters like Bosch and Brueghel and engravers like Gustave Doré.

Would you happen to have any ideas on how I could approach the Mastermind? I want a heavy dosage of catholic imagery in her design, possibly a head shape that mimics a papal hat, or the Vatican, all the while imposing it with heavily industrial arachnid legs.

I'm flattered that you'd ask my opinion. I should give it more thought, but I have an initial suggestion. Although I think it makes sense to go industrial with the architecture legs, in my king's eye, I see something a bit different. Possibly, legs made of wrought iron (or Gothic wrought iron fence with typical spikes) with a breaking wheel or spiked roller for each of the joints.

I like the idea of a nod to Vatican wear thematically. But I also envision ragged flesh that is almost vertically flowing like a Bacon triptych. Bosch tended to play with vivisections and maybe that lends itself to how you reveal the Mastermind's brain.

Job said:

I'm flattered that you'd ask my opinion. I should give it more thought, but I have an initial suggestion. Although I think it makes sense to go industrial with the architecture legs, in my king's eye, I see something a bit different. Possibly, legs made of wrought iron (or Gothic wrought iron fence with typical spikes) with a breaking wheel or spiked roller for each of the joints.

I like the idea of a nod to Vatican wear thematically. But I also envision ragged flesh that is almost vertically flowing like a Bacon triptych. Bosch tended to play with vivisections and maybe that lends itself to how you reveal the Mastermind's brain.

Ha, you get what I'm goin' for, so any suggestions are totally welcome! I do have a sketch below, where its legs are more futuristic/industrial, which I don't want to completely erase from its design (UAC's meddling is still important of course). But I think fusing that somehow with your gothic idea would be pretty sweet in the final design. Having its gun resemble a pipe organ instead of a gatling would look gnarly.

Here's the next stab at the mastermind so far! I think I'm finally set on the face/head, it's just a matter of designing the legs and making them the appropriate size and fits well with her head shape/size.

also did another shot at the lost souls. Not all of 'em will be two-faced, but the diseased/deformed look is certainly something I want to stick to.

Hey there Nathan92

That is some solid art man. I love your linework. The Pain Elemental intrigues me
the most. I'm really interested to see how u would go from the quick color stab
to a full render (that is if u are planning to do so). I think it's kinda cool that
some of the monsters look like they're from an alternate less comic-style universe of
doom. I wish u a lot of grit if u plan to finish all of the concepts, I can speak from
experience that can be challenging. Keep at it.

Guest Unregistered account

I do like the disturbing tone these creatures have - some of them would look right at home in Quake!
I also like how far some of them depart from their original style, but are still recognisable!

I do like how that two-faced Lost Soul seems to match the two-faced Pain Elemental.

That Pain Elemental almost invokes the dog-thing from the kennel scene in John Carpenter's The Thing. It's the eye on that fleshy mass that does it. I'm not sure if that was part of the inspiration, but it certainly makes me think back to the scene.

Dreamphaser said:

Hey there Nathan92

That is some solid art man. I love your linework. The Pain Elemental intrigues me
the most. I'm really interested to see how u would go from the quick color stab
to a full render (that is if u are planning to do so). I think it's kinda cool that
some of the monsters look like they're from an alternate less comic-style universe of
doom. I wish u a lot of grit if u plan to finish all of the concepts, I can speak from
experience that can be challenging. Keep at it.

Thanks man, much appreciated! I'm not a modeler, but I plan on bringing all these concepts to a more illustrative finish, with clean linework, colors and some simplistic environment stuff to ground them in a physical space. I always love tackling big projects, so thanks for the support!

Kapanyo said:

I do like the disturbing tone these creatures have - some of them would look right at home in Quake!
I also like how far some of them depart from their original style, but are still recognisable!

I do like how that two-faced Lost Soul seems to match the two-faced Pain Elemental.

Thanks! I think the Baron is perhaps the most different from its original counterpart, but seeing as though the Knight and the Baron were palette-swaps, I wanted to do something wildly different with one of 'em! But, glad they're still recognizable!

Piper Maru said:

That Pain Elemental almost invokes the dog-thing from the kennel scene in John Carpenter's The Thing. It's the eye on that fleshy mass that does it. I'm not sure if that was part of the inspiration, but it certainly makes me think back to the scene.

Well, The Thing just so happens to be one of my favorite films of all time, so it's certainly an inspiration! ;)

Quineotio said:

Amazing designs. Are you going to turn these into sprites?

I don't have a plan to myself, as these'll be turned into static concept illustrations.

However, if anyone wants to take a stab at turning these into sprites, that'd be pretty damn awesome to see happen!

Nathan92 said:

Well, The Thing just so happens to be one of my favorite films of all time, so it's certainly an inspiration! ;)

Your Pain Elemental made me refer to this scene in particular, just before the dog-thing gets torched. Especially that eye, UGHGHGHGH.

Piper Maru said:

Your Pain Elemental made me refer to this scene in particular, just before the dog-thing gets torched. Especially that eye, UGHGHGHGH.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1929307/the-thing-dog-o.gif

Oh yeah, I noticed that for the first time semi-recently, it was just so...aghh! It's awesome.

This may not be related to my redesign, but did a quick Doomguy gif to tide me over till I start on the final pieces for these guys. ;)

geo said:

I took a stab at spriting your imp.

Probably not the best color scheme or the most detailed. Its slimmer than a normal imp and its head is taller and feet wider just to make the familiar a bit different. It took around 30 minutes with 5 minutes of prep.

http://i.imgur.com/JVsrDma.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/at4h4ys.png?1

Nice! Not sure if I want to go with the totally brown-color route for the Imps either, thinking something pale would be cool! The hole above the mouth is actually its nose, but the sprite looks cool nevertheless!

Speaking of the imp, here's another shot at a stranger pose, kind of inspired by the oddly contorted sculptures of Auguste Rodin.

Jaxxoon R said:

I think I've seen a JoJo character strike that pose once.

Ha! I knew that looked familiar...