Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nathan92

Doom redesigns v2

Went ahead and did the final linework for the Pinkies (and some simple color). My earlier finished zombieman will remain conceptually the same, but I'm planning on cleaning the linework and making the colors simpler.

Gonna add a bit of implied environment around each baddie, technically detailed, but left uncolored. At the moment, this one's environment is only a sketch, and I could very well change it into something else if I prefer.

Quineotio said:

I think the most iconic part of the pinky is the big mouth. That picture looks more like a hell knight.

Admittedly, the most memorable thing about the Pinky to me are its Charging Bull characteristics, and with the aesthetic I'm going for, a big mouth would look very out of place.

I don't see it resembling a Hell Knight though, my HK design for this project is much more reminiscent of its original design.

Honestly, I came up with this iteration of the Pinky's design before DOOM 2016 was released. But, seeing as though the project is based off of the classics, that's the HK I'm referring to.

They've always been ones to charge toward the player, so it makes sense. They share the name 'Bull Demons' after all.

But beyond that, that's the point of a redesign. It's my own take on the creatures.

Great work. I like the final iteration of the cyberdemon the most, good direction for it. Really fond of the Caco as well. Thank you for sharing.

While I myself do see pinkies as charging things, in Doom 1 & 2 they in fact often had a weave pattern when running toward the player so they could survive even running to the player. Then they'd stop in front of the player to bite him with massive jaws rather than ram him like in Doom 4.

With that said, you made an awesome pinkie and you can do what you want. Its your art.

geo said:

While I myself do see pinkies as charging things, in Doom 1 & 2 they in fact often had a weave pattern when running toward the player so they could survive even running to the player. Then they'd stop in front of the player to bite him with massive jaws rather than ram him like in Doom 4.

With that said, you made an awesome pinkie and you can do what you want. Its your art.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Thanks a ton! I just think that as a fan of the originals, I owe it to them to not just do the same thing that's been done already, give it a bit of a different flavor than what's usually associated with the series. Makes it more fun on my end too! :)

gosh do i love that pinky, and i do now wish those huge horns were more iconic than the ever cheesy mouth lol

Couple of quick updates! Finally coming along. The Former Human trio is nearly finished, want to get a backlog of them done before I submit them anywhere (tumblr, Deviantart, etc.) Still need to figure out their environment vignettes, but everyone else's for the most part are accounted for. 

Also, updated the designs and poses for the lost souls and imps respectively. The previous pose I had for the IMp was something I liked in concept, but it was proving to be awkward fitting it into a composition I liked. Came up with this more fight-ready one instead. 

Edited by Nathan92

29 minutes ago, Nathan92 said:
Also, updated the designs and poses for the lost souls and imps respectively.

Nice work!  The Lost Soul reminds me of INTERPIC from Doom 2 (the level intermission backdrop).  All those faces melting into each other is pretty iconic.

On 3/23/2017 at 5:21 PM, Bauul said:

Nice work!  The Lost Soul reminds me of INTERPIC from Doom 2 (the level intermission backdrop).  All those faces melting into each other is pretty iconic.

Thanks! Yeah, definitely! 

Gonna have to stick the wall of weird smiling/demented faces into one of their environments too. What's the file/texture name for that one?

I wonder if green hair is caused by zombie-ism or if if green is just a popular future color of hair.

Ha, I'm going to do some short write-ups on these guys. I have it that the radiation that's belched out of the Hell Portals on Phobos and Deimos make its occupants react in different ways. Some lose their hair due to the radiation, ala Chemo Therapy, whereas others hairs changed to odd colors. 

Finished up the Former Human trio! 

It's also at my Deviantart page: deimos-remus.deviantart.com

To give an idea on what the writeups will entail, here's theirs:

UAC Log Archive 00E1-M8: Phobos Anomaly

After the first field tests of teleportation between Mars' two moons proved to be successful, an extra-dimensional tear occurred, forming a gateway on the surface of Phobos. Though the gateway seemed to show no signs of activity at first, strange occurrences began to arise on the Phobos base after its appearance. On-site personnel started to show signs of strange sicknesses and an uptick in violent behavior within hours of its arrival. A request to UAC Mars Central Command for increased security and Military assistance was granted. With the gateway being categorized as an anomaly, it was unknown where its source point was located. UAC Mars Central Command quickly reacted to the situation, focusing their research solely on the origins of the gateway and its unexplainable properties. 

Communication with Deimos was met with difficulty, eventually culminating in complete radio silence mere days after the gateway was formed. Within a week, all personnel on Phobos were stricken with death or had undergone bizarre physical mutation. The security officers and marines sent to Phobos were not heard from again. 

UAC Demonic Entity Log: 001-Former Humans (UAC)

UAC research personnel were the first to perish from the gateway's radiation, followed quickly by the marines sent to aid them. Radiation made much of the crew lose their hair, though oddly, others hair changed color. The unnatural properties of the radiation led the bodies of the dead to rise again, acting as a hive-mind seemingly fueled by bloodlust.  Any survivors were reportedly killed by those deemed to be undead. Commonly, noses were seen to be clawed off or completely decayed, with some security personnel showing signs of advanced decomposition, though unnaturally able to move and fight.  Though the bodies continued to decay and brain activity appeared low, these abominations seemed to hold a collective memory of past life, able to use weaponry and equipment just as before. 

Though the request of Military reinforcement was initially appreciated, a large portion of security personnel were oft-equipped with weapons of unnecessarily lethal capabilities, a number of them seen with heavy firearms such as UAC-issue rotary-cannons and double-barreled shotguns. These weapons, in the hands of the undead, made the eradication of the Phobos base a quick feat. Concerns worsened when new completely inhuman lifeforms began to infiltrate the base. 

I absolutely love the way you pose demons in your sketches. Even the way they're moving and acting bleeds character- e.g. the immediate difference between the rather frightened-looking Former Human, the more combat-ready Former Sergeant, and the rather Heavy Weapons Guy-esque Former Commando.

Oh wow, the former humans look absolutely phenomenal. Love the grimy undead-ness juxtaposed with the clean, old-school art style.

Fantastic work. I love that the former humans don't look like zombies so much as possessed, and of course in Doom '16 they're referred to as the possessed. There is so much personality in them. I like that each one seems to have a different sense of alertness and awareness. Like the chaingun dude is kinda cocky and overconfident, the former human sergeant is very cautious and the former human seems dazed and near comatose. Great stuff.

Thanks a ton guys! I'm rather tired of the whole zombie genre myself, so I wanted to make these guys a bit different than the standard fare. Was fun making them distinct from one another while still keeping a similar visual language! 

Also, here's the finished Imp and Pinky! 

UAC Demonic Entity Log: 002- Imp

As the UAC continued their research on the anomaly, signs of life became noticeable. Initially thought to be extraterrestrial in origin, it became clear that the gateway had completely unexplainable tendencies and was controversially labeled as a supernatural aberration. Newly christened as the Gates of Hell, the portal's power allowed other monstrosities to appear on Phobos. Perhaps the most often sighted of these beasts were the imps. Believed to be Hell's disposable foot-soldiers, Imps are roughly man-sized, highly athletic and quick-footed, covered in tough, calcified skin of varying colors and shades. Protruding from their bodies are strange, root-like structures, covered in thorny growths. The collection of a dead Imp specimen revealed that embedded in their hands were what appeared to be stigmata, from which an intense amount of heat could be generated. The root-like parts of the demon's bodies were found to store a sort of flammable liquid, which when directed to their palms, would be met with the conjuring of fire. Though generally considered among the weakest of Hell's forces, Imps are more intelligent than how they appear, often using vents and tight-spaces as a means of fast and undetected travel. 

UAC Demonic Entity Log: 003- Pinky

Periodically sending research teams to the Phobos base for the purpose of collecting samples and specimens, the UAC's involvement in the demonic invasion bordered on obsessive. Any discovered demonic species was a gold-mine of scientific material to glean from, and one could surmise that those at the Mars research facility enjoyed their new project. Among the first non-humanoid creatures to be discovered on the base have been lovingly referred to as Pinkies, due to their salmon-colored skin. Tougher and larger than the imps, and possessing a pair of intimidating horns, the Pinkies are very aggressive and territorial. With characteristics not unlike that of a bull, Pinkies are known to often rush an attacker, using their hoofed back legs and exceptionally strong forearms to build up speed. Though not very bright, this strength coupled with their large hands makes one of these demons a deadly foe. 

UAC Log Archive 00E1-M6: Spectre Incident
A large pack of Pinkies were found to have gotten into a sealed laboratory on the base, stumbling into an experimental compact teleporter, slated to be for commercial use upon its completion. As the teleporter had yet to be tested, the Pinkies' molecular structure became scrambled, and were somehow turned transparent as a result. 

Edited by Nathan92

Finished up the Cacodemon today! 

UAC Demonic Entity Log: 004- Cacodemons

Though many of the demonic specimens that were collected were easy to spot, being grounded, large airborne creatures began to spring up on the Phobos base and were much more difficult to procure. The first of these seen were what the research team called the Cacodemons, a name derived from the greek kakodaímōn meaning "Evil Spirit". Cacodemons' anatomy acts like that of a hot air balloon, with an internal source of heat that makes the oxygen inside of the creature less dense than that outside of it. Because of their hollow bodies, Cacodemons are very light-weight and aerodynamic, though their skin is unusually resilient and thick. Adorned with a crown of thorn-like spikes and possessing a singular eye, Cacodemons tend to be seen in more open areas like that of foundries and outside of the base itself, slowly floating at their leisure. The Cacodemon's blue-colored insides reveal a uvula that can generate an intense amount of electricity, able to spew projectiles of suspended plasma at an opponent. 

On 4/11/2017 at 11:25 PM, Piper Maru said:

Your redesigns are a really unique take on the monsters of Doom. A combination of terrifying and grotesque, great work!

Thanks a ton! As stated earlier, I owe it to the iconic designs of the original game to not do the same thing they did. Glad you like 'em!

Working on the Hell Knight next!

Hell Knight is up! 

UAC Log Archives D2-M13: Hell on Earth

Deimos was literally nowhere to be seen after the numerous attempts at contact yielded no results, as if it had never existed in the first place. UAC's attempts to locate the lost moon proved to be an exercise in futility, and baffled the research crew endlessly. A Lone Marine was said to have wiped out the demon population on Phobos single-handedly, and ventured into the Hell-Gate to find what had become of Deimos, eventually finding that the moon was suspended over Hell itself. Making contact with resistance forces on Earth, the Marine was told of a subsequent invasion, that the Earth itself had been overrun with Hell's legions of demons. Earth had never looked so different, desolate and destroyed, littered with artifacts and evidence of Demonic influence and transformation. Shortly after the Lone Marine's arrival on Earth, the resistance had left the planet in hopes of rebuilding mankind on another off-world colony. Earth would no go down without a fight however. 

UAC Demonic Entity Log: 005- Hell Knight 

Though former humans, Imps and Pinkies have been found to be relatively easy to dispatch with enough firepower, many demons proved to be a lot more durable and powerful. After Earth's invasion, a new breed of demons made themselves known. Called Hell Knights by Earth's resistance, these demons are particularly hefty and brutish. At around 10 feet tall, these formidable warriors use their goat-like legs for fast travel, despite their immense size. Akin to the imps, the Hell Knights have the ability to conjure fire, though this comes from a strange membrane embedded in their torsos; their flame has a bizarre scent to it, glows an otherworldly green and burns for much longer than "normal" fire. In close combat, Hell Knights fight with berserker strength and are unusually agile. Unlike other demon specimens found on Phobos and on Earth, the Hell Knights were found to have a lack of genitalia, as if bred for one purpose and one purpose only; to fight and destroy. 

@Nathan92 nice drawings so far, but I have a question to you, How long it takes you to make them, and do you draw them on papers or using a computer program??

3 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

@Nathan92 nice drawings so far, but I have a question to you, How long it takes you to make them, and do you draw them on papers or using a computer program??

Thanks! Since the preliminary work is all done (underlying sketch and character designing) the linework and coloring process goes by pretty quick. Probably about a couple hours each, on average. Oh, and these are digital, drawn in photoshop with a tablet.