Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalinus

Share Your Sprites!

34 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Just curious, how do you people draw the diagonal frames for your sprites without making them look too ugly?

What do you mean? xD

41 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Frame 1 is forward, frame 3 is left, frame 5 is behind, frame 7 is right. I'm on about frames 2, 4, 6 and 8.

ah now I understand xD, I really do not know how, I not do sprites, rarely, but for fun

Edited by Gaia74

My recolored version of the freedoom guy, now as the fighter in hexen, I would've did good with the frozen sprite back then as well as the firing animation

sprites.png

I just partially finished recoloring a monster sprite set by Eriance, Death Incarnate. I need to refine the sprites a bit though. This recolor brightens the armor and reveals its flesh.

BMqXeZ8.png

fwEPRIJ.png

SQYSBJ2.png

All chase, melee, pain, and death frames are done. I don't have current plans on coloring the projectile firing stance or Xdeath animations. I chose this sprite because of its physical heft. It looks like it can run into a crowd and start punching things to death. A mid-tier dedicated melee monster.

YlpzPOi.png

Looks awesome! We need more tough melee monsters. This one's quite scary looking!

Thanks for the compliments!

On 10/29/2018 at 6:33 PM, Tango said:

would you mind sharing what your recoloring process was like?

Sure! I use a commercial sprite editing software called Aseprite for recoloring Eriance's monster (INCA) sprite. I've included pictures of my process. I'm still a beginner using this program. My biggest issue at the start was the slow process but it eventually became a fast task.

Spoiler

OGv4juY.jpg

I raised the color value of INCA because it was hard for me to see where its limbs meet the armor. It's doable with its default color value but trying to pinpoint where these limbs connect was difficult for me. Raising the color value eased my eyes and made the limb connections more noticeable.

FopujHu.jpg
(Left column = default skin. right column = brown skin.)

Second step is to figure out what shades of colors to use, sampling the colors with the INCA's chase frameA1D1 skull. My primary color choice for the skin was brown. I got the colors I wanted on the first try. I was also zooming the graphic in-and-out to see what it looks like from certain distances.

While choosing colors, I kept note of specific indexed colors, default and new, and the value change.

Recoloring the limbs evolved over time. It was pretty primitive taking me 20-35 minutes per sprite and eye soar. I'll share the most effective method for me which takes me 5-10 minutes per sprite and no eye soar!

p6eHcv5.jpg

(Lasso icon is there to show what it looks like in the side bar.)

The lasso tool. The amazing thing about this tool is the user can also queue more lassos by holding control and lassoing another limb!

61Sn4hX.jpgXGyXsA9.jpg

ujR67ai.jpg

I can now recolor with my cheat sheet using the indexes I've typed up. I use the Replace Color command (Shift + R) to replaces the selected colors within the lassos.

rwPUac6.jpg

Bam! Now I have enough time play some Doom! Fixing up the sprite is probably needed but this is an example of the most effective method for me. INCA's right leg could be covered a bit more to see what it looks like.

@Swalzi this is really excellent, thanks so much for providing so much detail and for even including pictures! I have been using aseprite just a little bit but nothing extensive, but I'll be giving something like this a go. when you do the color replacement though, does it make you replace each color one at a time? is there no way to provide a batch of translations all at once?

Yes, very interesting and helpful tutorial actually. It's always interesting to see how other people tackle things and work on their stuff.

@Tango

Edited by Swalzi : I replaced the colors one at a time. I'm not sure if batch translation scripts can be used, it be super cool if it's possible.

I don't really have sprites to show yet (beyond some extremely simplistic experiments), but I would like some advice from knowledgable spriters and resource rippers in regards to weapon hands.

My plan is to go from our beloved Doomguy doom.JPG to something more biomechanical... guyver-armour_112.jpg 

I obviously want to keep using Doomguy arms for the simple fact that most weapon sprites use Doomguy hands. I also don't want to spend ages to repaint a million hairy arms - and I can't really just digitize my own arms because unfortunately I don't have grey-green biomechanical carapace armour on my arms.

Has anyone ever made a large set of non-hairy Doomguy arms? Because that means I can just recolour them, fuse the arms and fingerless gloves, draw some lines on them to show the carapace edges, put on some spikes and claws, and call it a day.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:09 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Just curious, how do you people draw the diagonal frames for your sprites without making them look too ugly?

I find it's better to draw more data from your straight-on and backwards-facing sprites when making diagonals. The straight-from-the-side sprites are more a beast of their own, but both have to be taken into consideration. I often start with copy pasting sections from the straight-aheads and copy some key parts, like the head and then removing portions of the left/right side of the face, shuffling pixels until I get a good diagonal look.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, 00_Zombie_00 said:

Wip : is not finished yet, use it however you want

Great, looks like what might be to a Cyberdemon what a Hellknight is to a Baron.

Depending on my time and mood, I will, perhaps, finish this fella, though that means I gotta create +30~ extra frames, which isn't exactly walk in the park.

G4Lh9ba.gif