Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalinus

Share Your Sprites!

@Cherno All that was needed (in SLADE) was to automatically center it and then modify offsets relatively to get rid of its floatiness. At first it was definitely floating when I automatically centered it. To fix that, I went to its A1 pose, lowered its vertical offset by a certain amount so it's touching the floor, and then I selected all of the other images and asked SLADE to lower it by that same amount. Since I noticed that its angles seemed odd and its feet was floating slightly, I lowered all of the angles even more except for its front faces. But If you want, you can trim all of the transparent pixels around it to make it not only save filesize but also allow true automatic offset to be used on it.

Anyway it will always be floaty in GL mode because OpenGL is not great for Doom perspectives and that's a fact. It ruins many of the illusions that take advantage of no depth when it comes to flats and stuff like that. But in software, this robot of yours looks great. It was fun to write up DECORATE again to test its sprites and offsets!

scbt.zip

Wouldn't the lower offsets make the robot sink into the floor, though? At least for sprites that extend lower than the normal idle sprites.

Yeah, the post processing takes time. The way I did offsets was to not crop the sprites at first, so the whole set of sprites would share the same offsets because they were all the same size. Afterwards I cropped the sprites and matched them to the uncropped versions. Fairly time consuming, but the rotations stay true and you don't have to eyeball it.

Floor clipping is only an issue for death frames, GL renderers will raise the sprite slightly for normal frames so they don't clip the floor.

Thanks for the explaination. Since the sprites I rendered from models often have 26+ frames, I wonder if it's preferable to just use the orthographic versions wohch all share the same offsets, or rather put in the work to edit the offsets for all the perspective sprites?

Maybe I'll just offer both versions by default and let users decide. The rendering, renaming and retouching ofthe files "only" takes about 15 minutes anyway, which is a fraction of the 4+ hours that the actual modeling app work takes ;)

19 minutes ago, Shtbag667 said:

I've just finished the graphics for what I'm calling a void wraith.

Ooooooh! Can I play it? How do you synchronize the sprites, you Warp them?

7 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Ooooooh! Can I play it? How do you synchronize the sprites, you Warp them?

It's a part of HTC3 which is nowhere near ready, making the graphics takes a long time. I can create a separate WAD for this monster once it's fully complete but I still haven't done any sounds yet. I haven't warped any of these graphics, the decorate code I'm using for the spine spawned by the wraith is this:

See: 

SLMW A 2  A_Chase
	  SLMW A 0  a_spawnitemex(SWSpine2,-2,0,24,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS )
	  SLMW A 2  A_Chase
	  SLMW A 0  a_spawnitemex(SWSpine,-2,0,-2,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS )
	  SLMW B 2  A_Chase
	  SLMW B 0  a_spawnitemex(SWSpine2,-2,0,24,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS )
	  SLMW B 2  A_Chase
	  SLMW B 0  a_spawnitemex(SWSpine,-2,0,-2,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS )
	  SLMW A 2 A_Chase
	  SLMW A 0  a_spawnitemex(SWSpine2,-2,0,24,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS )
	  SLMW A 2  A_Chase
	  SLMW A 0  a_spawnitemex(SWSpine,-2,0,-2,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS )
	  SLMW C 2  A_Chase
	  SLMW C 0  a_spawnitemex(SWSpine2,-2,0,24,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS )
	  SLMW C 2  A_Chase
	  SLMW C 0  a_spawnitemex(SWSpine,-2,0,-2,0,0,0,0,SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS )

The spine actor just chills where it is spawned and then disappears.

ACTOR SWSpine
{ 
   Health 100 
   Speed 0 
   Radius 4
   Height 4
   Mass 5    
   +NOGRAVITY +FLOAT 
   +Noclip
   scale 1
   States 
   { 
   Spawn: 
      SLMX BBAAIIJJAAIIJAIJBBBCCCDD 3 
      Stop 	  
   Death: 
	SLMW A 4
   } 
}

Belle concept sprite. Angelic musicians who inspire hope and joy to humankind. Their songs are as lethal to demons as a double barrel shotgun to the head.

They are three different bells on her. Can you find them all?

Belle.jpg

1 hour ago, GJC said:

Taking a break from mapping to get these things done. Keep putting it off:

SHTGNT.png.0df6cc90cdde9c15d0263c8d3e98df45.png

Clean white pixels, its looking good.

This is my second sprite based on the Fist Marine's body, I call it the Harbinger's Paladin.

It has no use as I can't sprite all frames and such, but it would make great if refined for a Player skin, most possibly for a Medieval Mod.

image.png.b47512bb840e92be0ab623aef47509e1.png

I don't really like how the leggings look on the darker side and the bright area, but the rest looks kind of.. Decent?

Not to judge myself heh, I just like how it looks 'shiny', following the advice of using brighter/darker tones on Paint.net bit by bit (From 128 white to 126 white, for example.)

If I am brave enough someday, then I guess I could go ahead and try to do full frames, but for now I will focus on small things and what I love most, mapping :p

Done with school for the semester so I was able to do more work on my Cherub (Full 180 view and changed the hair bow). Plan to add the wings tomorrow.

Cherub-Rotate-(No-wings).gif