Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalinus

Share Your Sprites!

Damn, that's stylish :D -- now I'm curious if these are snippets of a bigger project, 'cause if so, I'm excited for it.

Been doing some work hand drawing various pickup sprites for a personal project of mine and figured I share some of the ones I've got, some need some last tweaks but I'm quite proud with how some came out.
I tossed them into spoilers to hopefully not take over the whole page much of this is not scaled down yet, I have much to work on still but I've been enjoying it, even knowing it'll be some time before I see these and their requisite player sprites in game.

Double barrel 44 magnum

Spoiler

KGX44.png

Over-under style ssg

Spoiler

overunder1.png

spas12 inspired sg

Spoiler

DK12tacticalbig.png

Jackhammer chainsaw replacer

Spoiler

PAWEAP-Jackhammer.png

detached rotary laser turret chaingun 

Spoiler

chainthing.png

ammo items 

Spoiler

shells-4x-spreadshot--big.pngpistolammolarge.pngweaponcell.pngpistol_ammo.png

On 3/7/2021 at 3:19 PM, 7Soul said:

You can do it! (and I lied it was 3 days)

Anyway here's a crude animation in the game, with a triangle bullet pattern that rotates because that's fun

1872003243_ezgif.com-gif-maker(4).gif.9dc221c213a6c62ed7150be775daf77e.gif

The more I look at the hand the worse it gets XD

The blender window:

blenderflintlock.png.3610a60e47e9219ef69d040e698ca8cd.png

Looks great. Could you maybe clean up the artifacting on the edges?

5 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Looks great. Could you maybe clean up the artifacting on the edges?

Yeah that was the animation right out of blender, here's it after some cleaning up:

flintlock_1.gif.40c09b991ff08f21aa8e90281bd27d8b.gif

26 minutes ago, 7Soul said:

Yeah that was the animation right out of blender, here's it after some cleaning up:

flintlock_1.gif.40c09b991ff08f21aa8e90281bd27d8b.gif

This is looking mighty fine and for a 3 day Blender build of someone who hasn't done it before it's pretty damn incredible!

I'm not really a sprite artist, but it does seem like the hand doesn't really fit the grip. The index finger looks like it's going into the weapon (or at least turning at too sharp an angle), and considering the thickness of the grip from the earlier shots it looks a bit off seeing a finger wrap around the entirety of it, especially since you can already see the knuckles on the right (which makes for an easy reference).

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

This is looking mighty fine and for a 3 day Blender build of someone who hasn't done it before it's pretty damn incredible!

I'm not really a sprite artist, but it does seem like the hand doesn't really fit the grip. The index finger looks like it's going into the weapon (or at least turning at too sharp an angle), and considering the thickness of the grip from the earlier shots it looks a bit off seeing a finger wrap around the entirety of it, especially since you can already see the knuckles on the right (which makes for an easy reference).

This hand is kicking my ass

flintlock_handprev2.png.d2fd39b0220f655b14d8f4f37e6c7309.png

old/new

I went and found a better object to hold to use my hand as model XD

Edit: starting to think maybe I shouldn't have done such a realistic hand for a cartoony gun

Edited by 7Soul

@7Soul

Hey this looks really amazing! I am super excited to see what comes of this! I have some recommendations and lessons learned from using 3D software to create sprites that may help you.

• Make your light sources a child of your model so that your lights move with you guns. It keeps the highlights consistent as the gun moves. This isn't always desirable, but for your particular art style, I think it will help. Here's a gif of a directional light and an area light as children of a weapon model:

ffyM5Xc.gif

• Make the 'kick' of your gun use fewer frames and don't be afraid to use a few more on the 'return' animation. Use a nice ease in/out on your animation curves. It's a little more aesthetically pleasing. You can still achieve a 'stop-motion' look and use smooth animation curves. I applied this approach here:

fUB0zNl.gif

• I am unfamiliar with blender, but I assume it supports a toon shader. Use toon shaders with no interpolation so you can manually select colors that exactly match your palette. It'll prevent a lot of cleanup work in post (also used in the example above)

@Janitor Thanks for the suggestions, I'm a super noob at Blender (and 3d in general)

I had "sun" lights but after some tests I decided to ditch the shading and go for that flat low-poly style, as I already have the whole texture shaded by hand, and I also found how to disable anti-alias which gave me a much cleaner export

Old/new (with border already added)

exported.png.c603e3665871ab156e914d7d5d900d80.png

And I made the first frame of the kick more exaggerated:

record-1.gif.9b4d77e27375bde71a0e88f2a52f70bb.gif

(don't mind the gif messing up the colors)

Your timing suggestion is a good one overall. The zscript timing for my animation are as follows: the flare frame lasts 2 ticks, the kick frame lasts 10 ticks, then 5 return frames for 4 ticks each

Here's a slo-mo:

flintlock_2.gif.f0abf9992f82839ec2b93e5872513290.gif

(all WIP)

11 hours ago, FerrFerr said:

Well, I sure got busy this lasts weeks, not exactly what I was hoping for, but there's some progress.

anyways, here's some faces of that custom doomguy I did on that hud bar weeks ago, apart from some small changes like tilting the h's on the health text like scypek2 said, I kept on doing some expressions, 2 sets done, still 3 to go.

Yeah he does look like Connery in Zardos, well kinda, the inspiration was Colonel Bahamut from Contra Hard Corps.

The Commander.PNG

THE GUN IS GOOD

cyan1.png.6a61fc92455e09aef6f639cf51e51700.png

My most successful frankensprite that (with more tweaking and flashy lights) will probably be a BFG replacement for something down the line

edit: I also realized its way too small but I'll fix that later

Dunno, it looks like bloody cannon, so, as the mightiest weapon replacement, it's OK in my book. +)

On 3/9/2021 at 2:36 AM, MundyC said:

Sprites for the imp replacement from my upcoming TC WAD. It's a corpse reanimated with cybernetics that attacks with psionic blasts (in the style of the Doom 64 imp).

7Qu29Ra.png

I normally don't share spritesheets from work-in-progress projects, but I've spent so much time on this one (around a week of editing altogether) that it'd be kind of criminal not to.

wow, this is really cool

Quick question. Does anyone know where I can find the mechanical/cybernetic version of a Cacodemon? I've seen them on Doom vids on YouTube but I can't find the monster itself anywhere. 

The standard Caco shooting laser beams and railguns just doesn't work. It looks awful. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

Quick question. Does anyone know where I can find the mechanical/cybernetic version of a Cacodemon? I've seen them on Doom vids on YouTube but I can't find the monster itself anywhere. 

The standard Caco shooting laser beams and railguns just doesn't work. It looks awful. 

Thanks.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=65146&hilit=Craneo