Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

What genres of music are the doom music?

Sometimes I see people make the most general assumption that doom is pretty much all metal. But what about tracks like D_E1M2? D_E1M6? D_THE_DA? D_iN_CIT? What general music categories (outside of taco bell music) do these tracks fit in? What about the rest? Do they relate to any real life genres of music or are they simply shoved aside in the broad category of "video game music"?

Dooms music covers a wide spectrum of genre. We have rock like at dooms gate to more moody and atmospheric they're going to you. So no its not all metal, it's like a mix cd your friend randomly made, it's good but all over the place and that works too.

90's Alternative? Because almost every 'hard' song comes from heavy metal and half of the songs who got ripped come from early post-thrash and groove metal

If Doom's music were legit songs rather than midi tracks, each song (from both games) would belong to different genres. Specifically ambient, rock, metal, and possibly even electronica.

To my knowledge all video game music comes from at least some genre. If you take a look at the music from the Quake series, you have several genres from each game (Q1 has ambient, Q2 has metal, Q3 has rock/electronica), it's possible that the music from the Quake games is what id wanted for Doom, they just didn't have that advanced technology available yet.

nxGangrel said:

If Doom's music were legit songs rather than midi tracks, each song (from both games) would belong to different genres. Specifically ambient, rock, metal, and possibly even electronica.

To my knowledge all video game music comes from at least some genre. If you take a look at the music from the Quake series, you have several genres from each game (Q1 has ambient, Q2 has metal, Q3 has rock/electronica), it's possible that the music from the Quake games is what id wanted for Doom, they just didn't have that advanced technology available yet.

That's like the Mega Drive in some ways, it mostly made Heavy Metal/Rock sounds and Electronic music...which when done right was really good stuff, but it could do other genres too..all be it Mega Drivey. I still love the Streets of Rage soundtrack, I'm not usually into the real life music it was inspired by but I like it.

The one thing that binds all the music together is heavy usage of the Blues 12 scale. So let's just say it's all some deviation of Blues.

^

Yeah, it's a mixture of more genres and influences merged with the blues, and especially the 12 bars blues. This chord progession it's used on most of the songs (both Doom 1 and Doom 2), and if not on its whole it still has a strong impact: E1M1, E1M2, E1M4, E1M6, E3M2, Trick and Traps, Downtown, The Factory, The Pit, Refuelling Base, D_RUNNIN :). And others I dont remember at the moment.

Bobby Prince clearly loves standard blue progressions, since pretty much every rock/metal song, even if it's based on a thrash riff, will repeat itself in different keys as a nod to the blues. I would say the other tracks generally fall along ambient, cinematic, symphonic. The Taco Bell stuff seems to be a weird product of the 90s.

i still don't get the claim for "taco bell music." what even IS Taco Bell music? could someone give me some examples, because i'm legitimately curious about this unless it's some dumb buzzword someone said to be funny and it's been repeated because of that.

The only thing that comes to mind is Demolition Man where Taco Bell won the franchise wars and the only music playing was old timey commercial jingles.

I always thought it was Doom metal. Then I actually listened to Doom metal, and oh god was I wrong.

Basically a mix of Industrial Rock, classic Heavy Metal and Dark Ambient. All filtered through MIDI sound of course.

Doomhuntress said:

i still don't get the claim for "taco bell music." what even IS Taco Bell music? could someone give me some examples, because i'm legitimately curious about this unless it's some dumb buzzword someone said to be funny and it's been repeated because of that.

Doom 2 MAP02 has some sort of Latin salsa sound to it towards the end which is what I believe the reference comes from. I don't know if any of the other tracks have anything to do with it.