Krispy

DW Roasts!

Doomworld Roasts!  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Doomworld Roasts!

• Good idea?
    • Bad idea?
    • Asking for trouble?

Ever heard of a roast? It's where you take a person, put them up on a stage, and basically poke fun at them while asking them questions about themselves. Take any little quirk or habit or violation of social norms that they have and throw it out there for all to see! Usually this is reserved for people who are leaving a group (i.e. retiring or graduating), but since attendance here is sporadic at best why don't we do them whenever? Doomworld's been around for quite a while; I don't think we'll have any shortage of content.

Example:
Roast of D00|\/|3rskull1992

MegaGaymer: D00|\/|3rskull1992 is so bad at mapping, he offered to pay people that one time to play his maps!!1! Here's the proof!

Mister69er:Hey why did you stop updating such-and-such.wad? That was mildly agreeable to me.

HypotheticalMember: Does anyone else remember this?
embarassingBabyPhoto.gif

Who's up for something like this?

Never heard of such a thing, sounds like fun!

Btw, I don't recommend adding joke options in Doomworld polls because inevitably they get the most votes and kind of ruin the whole thing.

In person if anyone did anything like this to me I wouldn't continue knowing them. Luckily I'll never be famous enough to get a roast.

Here's mine:
"Maes is so Greek, he turned his computer into a Bitcoin miner so he could pay his debts!"

r8 don't h8

Mr. Freeze said:

Here's mine:
"Maes is so Greek, he turned his computer into a Bitcoin miner so he could pay his debts!"

When Greeks acquire money, paying taxes are the last thing on their minds.

I'll try:
"Maes is so Greek, he only dances with little boys."

Linguica said:

"I like the DW forums, I just wish people would insult each other more"

Agreed. Why can't people realize the forum should be more like your avatar?

Too much thin skin here, so probably asking for trouble, even it if it's map making centered and restricted to some of the better modders out there.

Like can anyone seriously see Mark taking one like celebs on TV do? I can't.

Krispy said:

Usually this is reserved for people who are leaving a group

Depending on who's being roasted, it might prompt a string of "I'm leaving and never coming back!" posts, with the more robust exchanges landing in Post Hell. In the end, the only likely winner is a certain Fallout fanboy. ;)

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11402826_848200768605947_8332116237930180253_n.jpg?oh=7d027749de1821e50db4cd86a17bd17b&oe=55E6EED5

Maybe we could do something similar in the next Doomworld Mafia game as players are eliminated.

I think we can find a few thick-skinned volunteers for this. My philosophy is that the ones who can take it are the most interesting candidates anyway.

Memfis said:

Btw, I don't recommend adding joke options in Doomworld polls because inevitably they get the most votes and kind of ruin the whole thing.

It's funny you mention that because I thought long and hard whether I should put 'Impse?' as one of the options.

darknation said:

You are all fucking spastics.

More of a flame than a roast if you ask me: it just leaves everything with a light coat of disgusting ash as opposed to cooking the meat to perfection.

We probably should not roast people who are in losers or banned. It could be kind of amusing to see a proper roast take place, but there needs to be quality control. Like the roastmaster needs to have a few people lined up to post content right as the red ribbon is cut so there isn't a bunch of shitty noobs flaming people anywhere on the first page.

Oh, so you mean that's what they did to Justin Beiber?

And here this whole time I thought they stuck him on a spike and ate his pasty, veal-esq flesh.

Technician said:

When Greeks acquire money, paying taxes are the last thing on their minds.

Hey, no problem. The entire state apparatus is designed around this assumption, so they find other ways to screw you. "I will fuck with you, because you will fuck with me" is how the state-citizen relationships can be best described.

As for this being a good idea...probably not. OK, maybe some of the "old farts" here are thick-skinned enough, but threads have been helled and bitter flamewars started for much, much less, and it wasn't even about personal stuff most of the time. I'd say the average maturity level here (maybe combined with some genuine oversensitivity) doesn't allow for such shenanigans.

I still don't understand why the term roast makes sense with this sort of thing.

A lot of the Doomworld addicts seem to have problems with the under the belt jokes of their own fellow addicts... So i guess this might work for a while until somebody snaps because of badly written sarcasm.

And Most roasts i have seen from (not on) comedy central (many years ago), or better, one i have seen (on tv, lol) recently with george takei and kirk in it even went as far as ; you touch kids.

Avoozl said:

I still don't understand why the term roast makes sense with this sort of thing.

Ah c'mon man they're frying an ass on the barbie mate !

I made a mistake with my open tabs...
Tab 1 - late quote to ctrl c
tab 2 - the one i needed to post
tab 3 - etc... up to tab 8

Doomkid said:

How come no one ever roasts roasts at roasts?

I wish this thread was actual roast chat. I really like roast pork.

Linguica said:

"I like the DW forums, I just wish people would insult each other more"

stupid nerd

lol geddit i did a contradiction thing i'm edgy

I'm also expecting a fucking shitstorm to happen when Joe-Ilya turns up.

Krispy said:

Ever heard of a roast? It's where you take a person, put them up on a stage, and basically poke fun at them while asking them questions about themselves. Take any little quirk or habit or violation of social norms that they have and throw it out there for all to see! Usually this is reserved for people who are leaving a group (i.e. retiring or graduating), but since attendance here is sporadic at best why don't we do them whenever? Doomworld's been around for quite a while; I don't think we'll have any shortage of content.

Example:
Roast of D00|\/|3rskull1992

This would only work if the subject of the roast was very important and esteemed within the community (otherwise it's just dogpiling on some random dude). Also it would probably not work on the internet because people on the internet are massive pricks and that's why we can't have nice things. It's really the sort of thing that can only work in person, it can't be brought over to the internet.

Avoozl said:

"Roast" rhymes with "toast". I'm sure you can figure it out from there.