Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

Maps based on other games.

I wonder if anyone knows maps which are based on Q3 theme, or have Quake 3 style design. I'm a huge fan of both Quake, and Doom, and will be pleased if that kind of maps exist. idgames is so big that it's hard to lookup certain wads.
Or maybe something like Unreal.
I'm not referring to TC-s or such, just would like to play something that's based on Q3 or Unreal, like Torment & Torture did with Quake 1, so it's not exactly the same, but similar.

(other than Hunter's Moon's upcoming maps)

So, are you talking about redesigns of particular levels from other games into the Doom engine (focusing on accurate geometry), or wads with heavy usage of textures/resources from a non-Doom game (and/or having similar gameplay and atmosphere as said game)?

scifista42 said:

So, are you talking about redesigns of particular levels from other games into the Doom engine (focusing on accurate geometry), or wads with heavy usage of textures/resources from a non-Doom game (and/or having similar gameplay and atmosphere as said game)?

Exactly the second.
In other words, we can say that the given game had a big impact on that certain map.

Catoptromancy said:

There are a couple skulltag maps that replicate the q3a DM maps somewhere.

In fact, I'd like single player maps, not DM.

Temple of the Lizardmen, there are 3 wads, are heavily inspired by Unreal.

Catoptromancy said:

There are a couple skulltag maps that replicate the q3a DM maps somewhere.

Now that Zandronum has caught up with ZDoom's software 3D floors, we must have remakes of The Bad Place and The Dark Zone from Quake 1, and The Longest Yard from Quake 3. It's a classic multiplayer FPS, so it's the law.

ToD's made quite a number of maps based on existing games: zelda, chips challenge, quake, and more. Many of them can be found among these wads:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dekutree.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/chips19.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/tom19.zip
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/esp.zip

most of it is esoteric slaughter-puzzle stuff, so probably not what you're looking for gameplay-wise, but definitely worth a perusal regardless!

Requiem's MAP31 is a decent imitation of Quake's E1M6 - and it accomplish this using only vanilla engine features, which is impressive.

i am also interested in whether there are any conversions of quake/quake2/quake3's multiplayer maps to doom?

FractalXX said:

In other words, we can say that the given game had a big impact on that certain map.

Guess which game had an impact on Super Sonic Doom.

And Sonic Robo Blast 2 might fit your request even better. It uses its own engine, though (based on Doom Legacy engine).

I once tried to remake a Blood map, I also tried to remake a map from the Mario Tennis GBC game, don't ask me why though.

scifista42 said:

Guess which game had an impact on Super Sonic Doom.

And Sonic Robo Blast 2 might fit your request even better. It uses its own engine, though (based on Doom Legacy engine).

I wonder why there are so many Sonic remakes. It's games were things I couldn't stand, the cartoon was good, though.

Nevermind. I thought you were asking something else.

Zed said:

Putrefier for ZDoom.

I know you said no TCs, but maybe you could look at QDOOM for 3DGE.

Putrefier has one hell of a great atmosphere. Didn't surprise me, though, since the author is the same as Valhalla's. The map is amazing overall. To be honest, it's 3 am here, and even though it's Doom the map is a little bit frightening to play at the moment.
Reminds me of a high (very very high) detailed Q2.

FractalXX said:

Putrefier has one hell of a great atmosphere. Didn't surprise me, though, since the author is the same as Valhalla's. The map is amazing overall.

It's awesome. I'm not surprised it took 2 years to make. I doubt we'll see any 32 map megawads of that quality any time soon.

Dave The Daring said:

It's awesome. I'm not surprised it took 2 years to make. I doubt we'll see any 32 map megawads of that quality any time soon.

I think we don't need megawads of such maps. 3-5 longer maps does the job in zDoom I guess.

There's the Goldeneye TC. There's a better one for DM, but if I recall (going way back) the sp/coop one wasn't too bad.

I know I've played other maps that were based on Quake's gothic/fantasy texture sets. Anyone care to compile a list of the ons they know?