Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enderkevin13

Upcoming Doom WAD (PICTURES)

I Have A Upcoming Doom WAD I'm Making, And It Is Called "Untimely Demise".
It Is Cave Based And Features Custom Monsters And Guns.

Hopefully These Show Up:

Sorry If The Images Suck, The WAD Looks Better Than You Think.
Took Me A While To Build, Will Release Shortly.

Next time you make a thread for your project, make sure you have something to show for it (pictures, videos, etc), let the visuals do the talking.

Well, the rooms look plain basic, monotextured and very unprofessional, the ashwall cave is downright ugly, and you're yet another guy who flooded his map with random custom monsters without sanity. If there's actual architecture anywhere in your wad, feel free to show it, because otherwise it's hard to believe that the wad looks better than it appears now.

Yeah, Sorry If It's Undetailed. I'm Just Getting Started With Mapping.
It's SLOWLY Improving, But It's Not Noticeable, Is It? XD
My First Two Maps Were Kinda Crappy.

Well overall I have to agree with scifista, though I think he could have been more positive about it since this is your first map (we wouldn't want to discourage you from this, would we?).

It's good that you've already been experimenting with custom monsters, that shows some level of knowledge above a complete beginner using Doom Builder, like I was a few years ago. You should've seen my first map. The only room that looked even half-way decent was a stereotypical box room, and it's kinda hard to mess those up. And my second was just an arena with a bunch of walls that open from switches found within those walls to make basic waves of enemies, with a few obstacles scattered about.

Now, I still use Doom Builder, but I have gotten more intricate with the stuff that I put in and most everything I do now has a purpose.

It looks like your more oriented on the gameplay than the aesthetics, which is fine by me because I'm a hermit who happens to love the "old" look and I don't mind playing a map thats basic if the gameplay keeps me interested.

But be careful with first impressions. Many of the long-time members have seen newcomers to this site, like me and you, come and go. Many of those that have come and went created substandard maps in the process and just expected the members here to play them. So I can't really blame scifista for being a bit disillusioned (if I'm reading into it correctly) with maps that appear to be basic, even if you did put a lot of hard work into it.

Anyway, not to go on forever (slightly off topic) on your wad's thread, but I'll give this a go for you when you release it. In the meantime, try and make some cool looking stuff to post screenies of and for the starting couple rooms to suck people in. If you need any more tips or tricks, just let me know and I'll help you if I can. :)

*Edit*
Matter of fact, here's a quote from scifista that helped put things into perspective for me. Maybe you already know this, but I'm stupid, so you must account for that:

scifista42 said:

Fonze, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

The above phrase was a standard /newproject tag, for your info. Take into consideration that if you want people to be interested to dedicate their time and effort to do any work for your project, and specially if you're completely new and unknown here, you should prove yourself more than by mere words.

Still new to the quoting, I hope that shows up

It's a little too basic is the issue I feel. Besides having custom monsters there's nothing really unique about it; it looks like and likely plays like someone's first attempts at mapping. But everyone has to start somewhere I reckon.. So thank you for your work, OP.

Whatever you do, OP, make sure you finish this and release it to the public. That way you can take notes from the people here and improve next time.

jdagenet said:

Whatever you do, OP, make sure you finish this and release it to the public. That way you can take notes from the people here and improve next time.

I whole-heartedly concur. I'd like to play it and potentially offer feedback, myself.

This reminds me of the stuff I was making back in 2001. Memories~

Just keep experimenting with Doom Builder and modding the game in general. The screenshots you posted do look very basic, but these things take time!

Nice to see new people dipping their toes in. Keep working at it :)

I Can't Seem To Open Map02 Of My Newer Doom WAD Demon Invasion.
I Wanna Fix Something In Doom Builder 2, But I Can't Open Map02.

OK, so you said twice that you cannot open MAP02, without giving any clue of what you've already tried to solve it, or what did you do before it stopped working, or any other detail that would help us to solve the problem for you. So, I'm going to throw a basic wild guess: Did you set the proper map format when trying to open the map?