Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The 1st Gamer

Love for Doom GBA

its great when you're away from a computer for an extended amount of time.

Haven't played it, but I'm impressed they were able to cram as much of the game as they did until such a small space. Compare that to the castrated SNES version which was released just a few years previous.

The GBA totally smokes the SNES in terms of raw CPU horsepower, and it actually respects my "computron formula" for pure software Doom: 70 single-op CPU cycles per rendered view area pixel.

With some optimization, I wonder if GBA Doom could have had all the featured of the PC. If I recall, the GBA version doesn't change the lighting on actors.

Maes said:

The GBA totally smokes the SNES in terms of raw CPU horsepower, and it actually respects my "computron formula" for pure software Doom: 70 single-op CPU cycles per rendered view area pixel.

Agreed.

I like the GBA version, especially for the new replacement levels. I like all of the different ports for their one or so new levels. It makes them feel worth playing.

Let me pop in the cartridge right now... David A Palmer Productions! I like that the text is readable instead of scrunched. Its missing some details like architecture and secrets, but that just makes it interesting. Green blood makes it interesting too. Its just different in a good way. I wouldn't want to play it if it was some perfect port.

Looks like the battery in my game is dead.

Doom 2 for GBA is overall better since it doesn't use the downgraded Jaguar's levels and the music is in the proper places, I never did understand why they chose to push all the level's music up a level but it annoyed me. Even though Doom 2 uses a different engine, it seems to do better in that the levels are intact. A couple of them had to be split in half but it's essentially all there. It also has something the first GBA Doom lacked, Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind.

MetroidJunkie said:

Even though Doom 2 uses a different engine, it seems to do better in that the levels are intact. A couple of them had to be split in half but it's essentially all there. It also has something the first GBA Doom lacked, Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind.

I totally forgot about the lack of spider mastermind and cyberdemon in the gba version.

the GBA port was great, really showed off the impressive power of the GBA! the game ran smooth as silk for the most part, and almost all levels were included. it had more then the 32x port. the doom 2 port on the GBA was also great, because it had all 32 levels and all the enemies too. only thing i hated about it was there was no level skip cheat. so if i wanted to play map 16, i had to go through 15 maps first.

I remember borrowing the first Doom for GBA numerous times from a friend and I was amazed about having Doom anywhere at anytime for the short period I had it, Although since I played it on a GBA SP model, I usually turned the gamma down to 1 to match the PC default (The GBA port defaults it to 3 for the non-backlit models), A few years later when I found out they had Doom II on GBA, I picked it up immediately and I agree that it was a vastly superior port than the first one except for the custom palette they used IMO. To be honest, I do have some fondness for the music from the first GBA Doom even though it was oddly substandard for the GBA's power and I do sort of like the green blood.

It's definitely a solid port and outdoes a lot of the earlier console implementations by having a soundtrack (beating Jag), all the Jag levels (beating 32X), running at a good and steady framerate (totally trashing 3DO), and even supporting multiplayer (on par with Jag; beating the rest).

Unlike most of the other opinions here, I really do *not* like Doom II for GBA better, and in fact I barely like it at all. The Southpaw Engine feels TERRIBLE for Doom. They especially did a horrific job in adapting the weapons - the balance and feel of the game is totally fucked as a result. It is not enjoyable to, for example, be unable to snipe with the shotgun because it has a huge vertical spread added to it, not be able to chaingun tap, or to fire the SSG POINT BLANK at a demon and it doesn't die because, somehow, 50% of the tracers went right through the apparent target. Bleh.

Ahhh the first GBA Doom, I remember getting my GBA for my 11th, I ended up having Warioland 4, WWF Road to Wrestlemania and Doom. I played Doom hell of a lot, I still think it's a terrific port, the controls hold up well. I did have the guilty pleasure of playing it with static lighting.

The 1st Gamer said:

I totally forgot about the lack of spider mastermind and cyberdemon in the gba version.

It's probably because it's based on the Jaguar version and since most of the console versions in that time were based on that version, they also lacked those monsters. The only real exception is the SNES version. As watered down as it was, it actually got PC levels, including the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind.

My first experience of Doom was the GBA game but it was only emulated unfortunately.

I played the hell out of the GBA port of Doom II, and actually beat it.

Due to the small size of my gameboy advance, and cramping my hands, the experience was 100 times more difficult. But I managed...

How much is there on iOS? All of Doom 1 (no Nightmare mode though)
How are the controls? Ass, as you would expect.

GoatLord said:

I don't understand how you could possibly play Doom on a smartphone.

probably with your fingertips

I never played GBA Doom until after I had got a custom firmware on my PSP and loaded PSX Doom on it... there's just no comparison at that point. It's my go to for portable Dooming. GBA Doom feels awful.

The 1st Gamer said:

Has anyone here played the iOS version? I'm curious about how much of the game is thereand how it controls.

I didn't like it but I also really hate touch controls that try to replace buttons in general. As far as I could tell it was a complete port.. Carmack actually based it on PrBoom I believe.

Of course, your options are slightly better if you have an Android, particularly since Beloko managed to get GZDoom to work and it runs great on my tablet since it has a keyboard built into the case. I just use the touchscreen to fill in for the mouse and it's like a regular WADS setup.

Again, with GBA Doom, I just can't look past how it's missing the Cyberdemon, even the Spider Mastermind.

It'd be like if Bowser was removed from a port of Super Mario Bros, and all you had to do was squish the Goomba and you win.

The GBA Doom feels like an itty bitty version of PSX Doom. I really like it, very faithful considering the hardware.

Doom2 looked better - Almost no details were missing, but the game feels a little more sloppy regarding control.

I think they're both great though, I'm lucky enough to own both. I wonder if there's a good version of Doom for the DS... Surely that hardware would be adequate to run vanilla Doom/D2.

The 1st Gamer said:

Has anyone here played the iOS version? I'm curious about how much of the game is thereand how it controls.

I have it. It's pretty good, shame there's no Doom2. I got this weird freedoom fork app that has since been removed that lets me play doom2, though.

It's kinda glitchy, you'll see massive HOMs in random spots, but it's acceptable.

I've got a real soft spot for the GBA and the ports of Doom and Doom 2. Being able to play the games on the move was a bonus way back when. For some reason there's a lot of love for the SNES version with people happily accepting its flaws but not so much for the GBA games... Go figure.

I've always wished that somebody hacked the GBA games so that one could inject PWADs into the them. How cool would it be to play Suspended in Dusk on the bus? :)

I've tried playing the IOS port but it's just not that fun with the touch controls. I get my Doom fix on the IPhone playing Doom RPG 2 and the Doom 3 on rails shooter games.

PS and OT: Why hasn't Id released the Doom (and Wolfenstein!) RPG games on the PC!? For shame, ID, for shame!

Loved GBA Doom until I found the Gameception app on the iphone.
Doom on the go with custom wad support and a better frame rate!

But GBA Doom saw me through many a road trip of my childhood and for that I'm thankful.

Doomkid said:

I think they're both great though, I'm lucky enough to own both. I wonder if there's a good version of Doom for the DS... Surely that hardware would be adequate to run vanilla Doom/D2.

Not officially, but there's homebrew.

http://www.qj.net/nintendo-ds/news/ds-homebrew-ds-doom-v121.html

This one guy wanted to work on a Doom modification specifically for DS homebrew but he abandoned the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omhjE90HTA

i find it a wonder how only two people commented on the musi of the first GBA Doom. no one noticed how absolutely terrible it is? it's not even synced corretly, like everything is "pushed up" a step, which seriously fucks with my head when i play it.

i can't really comment on the games since i haven't played them that much. i have a bootleg of Doom 2 on the GBA with a battery that seems to be nonexistant, so i can't play it muh at all really. music is way better on that port, though.