Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obzen

Doom Music Teaser

Didn't see this posted here anywhere, but just wanted to inform everybody that Mick Gordon posted this little preview of some guitar chugging over a click track in response to someone asking him if there was going to be metal in the soundtrack.

I really think people complaining about the soundtrack should refrain from complaining until they actually hear some of the soundtrack outside of a reveal trailer and some old alpha footage.

Edit, Thanks Hoffman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb6lRfVvoUA

link:
https://twitter.com/Mick_Gordon/status/615760872498049024

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it sounded like literally every chug riff from every nu metal band from the late 90s. It's really bad, like Doom 3's theme. There are certain rhythms in metal that just suck, that have no balls and elicit eye rolls, and this is definitely one of them. I've been a musician for 11 years, so I know a crappy rhythm when I hear it!

I agree with GoatLord. Although this was obviously a very crude and simple example so I'm not going to judge the actual soundtrack based on this short snippet. However, nu-metal crap would certainly not be a fitting match for Doom. Hopefully there's improvement yet to come.

Complaining that the picking pattern of 5 seconds worth of a palm muted note is a sign of quality or an indication of what subgenre of music it is... lol. It's merely to show people that there are heavy guitars in the soundtrack without giving away too much.

I've said this before in many other forums. If they're gonna do metal, it has to be done in good taste and not just metal for metals sake. I don't want a Megadeth or Iron Maiden rip off just because it sounds cool, it has to compliment the environment and overall theme of the game.

Obzen said:

Complaining that the picking pattern of 5 seconds worth of a palm muted note is a sign of quality or an indication of what subgenre of music it is... lol. It's merely to show people that there are heavy guitars in the soundtrack without giving away too much.

The problem is that metal is a very restrictive style of music and, over the last 40 years, different rhythmic choices have created specific emotional contexts. The jackhammer chugs of thrash/speed metal, and early forms of black/death metal, are conducive to the atmosphere and the pacing of classic Doom. Contrarily, playing the same low-tuned note in a syncopated industrial/nu metal fashion has a very juvenile and amateur edge to it, something that is as effective at killing the mood as say, balls-to-the-wall grindcore.

I think if the game goes with metal they should spice it up. Give it a nice industrial sound kinda like UT-2004's but more metal than electronic. Maybe I'm too much of a fan to say this but get Trent Reznor to do the music. He knows how to make music fit with the atmosphere.

I'd prefer if the soundtrack to Doom 4 was a mix of Quake 1 through 3's style music.

And for the record Goatlord, the D3 theme wasn't bad. In fact it was better than most legit metal songs from various artists, as well as the preview, in my opinion. Though it's pretty obvious any kind of metal isn't your thing.

nxGangrel said:

Though it's pretty obvious any kind of metal isn't your thing.

Huh? I've been a headbanger for 16 years. I like speed metal, thrash metal, black metal, death metal, grindcore, traditional heavy metal, avant garde metal, crossover, and yes, some occasional industrial metal. At the same time, I'm also very picky, because I don't like bands who sound like angsty teens who just discovered drop-C tuning and prefer to slap together cheesy rhythms with utterly no melody. The Doom 3 theme is an absolute joke. Trent Reznor does a great job with soundtracks and I think he'd be a good choice. I'm not just going to shit all over Mick Gordon, but I really hope he doesn't take the soundtrack into a post-Korn direction.

GoatLord said:

Huh? I've been a headbanger for 16 years.

Funny, your previous posts on this thread seemed to be a bit of a contrast but okay, I'll take your word for it. Ironically though I'm not a fan of any metal sub genre beyond the industrial, because... It's industrial.

And yeah, hopefully the soundtrack won't be utter shit. If they decide to go for all metal they should at least take note from sonic mayhem. But I wouldn't judge all of what will be made from a ten second preview.

Based what on I've seen so far, it seems to me that the game has a more serious tone and sadly over the top thrash metal wouldn't be consistent with the game's style.

Doom 3 comes out, everybody complains about lack of metal. Doom 4 will have metal, it's either too much or not metal enough.

it seemed from the doom 4 teaser that the music will change dynamically depending on what's happening in the game. So the music will probably appear at an appropriate time when you're probably more focused on killing and dodging than background noise.

Quasar said:

Doom 3 comes out, everybody complains about lack of metal. Doom 4 will have metal, it's either too much or not metal enough.

Metal in video games has to be handled properly. You can't make it distracting and you can't make it all angsty. That doesn't work, especially in Doom!

GoatLord said:

Metal in video games has to be handled properly.

Too bad that every single person has a different opinion on what exactly is "properly" and what is not.

GoatLord said:

Metal in video games has to be handled properly. You can't make it distracting and you can't make it all angsty. That doesn't work, especially in Doom!

Yeah, I totally agree. If there's going to be metal then it should be balls out. Otherwise don't even bother.

Honestly as far as I'm concerned, Mick Gordon is really the best man for the job. I loved the shit out of his work on the soundtracks for Wolfenstein: The New Order and Killer Instinct. And based on the teaser, I'm more than excited to hear the entire DOOM soundtrack.

GoatLord said:

Yuck, uninspired teenage chug crap!

No offense, man, but your horizons evidently need some serious expanding.

I don't want too loud of metal or else I won't be able to hear the monsters and they'll ninja kill me.

MFG38 said:

No offense, man, but your horizons evidently need some serious expanding.

I listen to everything from jazz to EDM to Indian ragas. I expose myself to as much music from all over the world as possible and have studied music theory for years. As a 16-year veteran of heavy metal, I've heard every sub-genre there is. Yes, it's true that what makes "good" and "bad" metal is entirely subjective, but when I hear low-tuned, syncopated chugs that resemble what a teenage guitarist farts out after their second lesson, it makes me think less "badass action sequence" and more "naive adolescent who's evidently too cool for school." This is not an endorsement for old school thrash metal in a blues progression, ala E1M1 or E3M3, but rather a demand for the musician to challenge himself to compose something appropriate, rather than settling for late 90s' aggro rock. I took a listen to the tune NoisM posted by Mick Gordon, and it honestly sounds more like an amalgamation of generic compositional techniques, rather than an original piece of music. It's plenty competent, but it's also plenty boring.

SO HAPPY someone posted that on Youtube! Mick deleted off his Instagram for some reason. I'm guessing id asked him to take it down. Either way when Mick sent that tweet (I'm in that tweet) and I listened to that teaser I got chills! I know most people are upset with the music so far but I like it and the best has yet to come.

GoatLord said:

I listen to everything from jazz to EDM to Indian ragas. I expose myself to as much music from all over the world as possible and have studied music theory for years. As a 16-year veteran of heavy metal, I've heard every sub-genre there is. Yes, it's true that what makes "good" and "bad" metal is entirely subjective, but when I hear low-tuned, syncopated chugs that resemble what a teenage guitarist farts out after their second lesson, it makes me think less "badass action sequence" and more "naive adolescent who's evidently too cool for school." This is not an endorsement for old school thrash metal in a blues progression, ala E1M1 or E3M3, but rather a demand for the musician to challenge himself to compose something appropriate, rather than settling for late 90s' aggro rock. I took a listen to the tune NoisM posted by Mick Gordon, and it honestly sounds more like an amalgamation of generic compositional techniques, rather than an original piece of music. It's plenty competent, but it's also plenty boring.

Sounds to me like you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Something to consider: Having dynamic music(if you notice in gameplay the soundtrack is dynamic depending on where the player is or what he is doing) while at the same time having said music be memorable and catered to your tastes of Metal is an unrealistic hope to have.

I've said this before, but I think some Meshuggah inspired metal would fit Doom perfectly. The Meshuggah guitarist, Fredrik Thordendal, collaborated on a song for TNO, so I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back for Doom 4.

Their music is aggressive, dark, industrial, percussive based, and certainly not generic.

With that said, I'm not saying 100% of the soundtrack should be metal, which some of you are fearing. We already know some of the soundtrack is ambient and some of it is electronic.

I really must be cynical, because to me Meshuggah is the very definition of generic metal, but that's what my ears tell me. I know it's not necessarily the same for others.

GoatLord said:

I really must be cynical, because to me Meshuggah is the very definition of generic metal, but that's what my ears tell me. I know it's not necessarily the same for others.

So what's some metal that would be good for the new Doom, Goatlord? Give us some examples so that we can be enlightened.

Since you asked, these are examples of metal that feel, to me, appropriate for a new Doom game. Obviously, ignore the vocals, as they would only serve as a distraction. I know I'm probably coming off as elitist, but I'm very intimately drawn to the atmosphere created by music, so I feel these songs do an excellent job of conveying Doom's atmosphere. For the record, I like some of the music I heard in the E3 demo; I just found the link posted in this thread to be uninspired.

Drone metal without drums

Industrial metal

Black/death metal

Avant garde black metal

Death metal

GoatLord said:

Meshuggah created a whole sub-genre of metal 20 years ago and they have some of the most complex drumming in the genre. They just have a lot of copy cats in recent years.