Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kontra Kommando

Random parts of the map break for no apparent reason

Randomly, invisible barriers block me from moving through certain spots. There are no line definitions put in place to make this happen. Thus I am compelled to created an alternative route to appease what ever the issue is. Then other parts of the map decide to break. For example, I created a vent system, but as you venture through a part of it, the vector breaks, creating a hall of mirrors; or I sink through the floor for that particular sections. Furthermore, lighting breaks in these sections as well. If I attempt to fix one area of the map, another part breaks down. I ran a map analysis, but there are no issues to indicate what is happening here.

The map is made in UDMF, using Doom builder 2.

Nodebuilder probably doesn't like something in your map, you could try updating to 1.18.1 and see if that works any better.

I assume that your map is extremely large and/or uses extremely many non-orthogonal linedefs and/or uses extremely thin triangular-shaped sectors / lidedefs with an angle that very slightly differs from a cardinal direction. All of these traits complicate nodebuilder's work. Nodebuilder should be able to cope with it, but sometimes it doesn't and can't. Then you must either tweak something in your map (remove thin sectors, snap some vertices to bigger grid), or change nodebuilder (but there's only ZDBSP available for UDMF format).

I'll update the nodebuilder when I get home.

I did a play test, and the issues seem to be alleviated. What I had done was made the problem sectors, one big sector. I find that strange considering doing the opposite had fixed this issue on another map I worked on a while ago.

The map is about medium size, the geometry is fairly complex. Since I'm emulating the corridors from the Aliens movies; I have slopes creating a hexagon-like shape for them.