Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The 1st Gamer

Doom 3 Party Thread

This thread is for users to proclaim their love for Doom 3 in a safe and accepting environment. Put your party hats on, load up your favorite copy if Doom 3, and enjoy. Don't forget the Sprite! I'll start things off. Personally, my favorite Doom is Doom 3 thanks to its atmospheric world and horror focus. Also, I actually like the shotgun in the final game. Oh, and I love the theme for the game. Now it's your turn. All Doom 3 fans are welcome!

My first encounter with Doom 3 was incredibly amazing. For the first time in a video game I actually felt the environments and monsters were lifelike, believable and downright real. id put so much time into DETAIL. That's what made Doom 3 work so well. Everything felt like functioning machinery with a purpose. So when the hell invasion finally breaks out it genuinely feels like a work base has been infiltrated by hell and all your coworkers are being shredded to pieces. Quite a cool experience really. I liked the voice acting and the PDA system was a cool way to explore the story with having to be FORCED to explore it. The ambient noises and sound effects were also completely brilliant and downright disturbing at times. Playing Doom 3 with headphones in the dark was a psychologically thrilling experience. Incredibly engrossing and made me feel like I WAS a lone survivor battling for my life against all odds.

Sure, the gameplay was nothing like the original Doom games. And admittedly it's nowhere near as good, but Doom 3 still kicks copious amounts of ass regardless. I don't care what people say, that game IS scary. The flashlight mechanic gave me some of the biggest scares I've ever received in a game. And the suspense of hearing the moans and footsteps of an approaching zombie but it's too dark to see where he's coming from. Then you switch to your flashlight, turn around and HOLY SHIT it's that damn jawless zombie with the freaky fucking eyes! Then you'd go to shoot it and be completely emerged in darkness again which meant you had to keep shooting to see anything (muzzle flashes create light.)

And those damn maggots and tentacle commandos! They would come at you so quickly that the second I heard their initial moan I would immediately freak out - spinning all over the damn place waiting and then BAM like clockwork every time they'd be right in my face. Good lord I hated those things. The maggots would crawl along the ground and then just jump up at the last second. They reminded me of the grudge for whatever reason.

Scariness aside though, Doom 3 was a great dark sci-fi shooter that worked better as a standalone game than a "Doom" game. This new Doom 4 looks much closer to the roots of the franchise.

I always get super cautious around the restrooms in Doom 3 because restrooms are always spooky, especially dirty ones. I always skip the one in Mars City...
I used to summon monsters then once I finished I'd save it and then play the map with the added monsters with a liking to the commandos (did the same to Doom 2 maps too). Also got a little silly putting items where cutscenes took place before they happened, like putting a bunch of goat burgers in the vent upon entering Administration. Back at Best Buy around when RoE came out my Dad told me to go get the box and I was scared of it because of the spooky demon on the front cover so I spent a few minutes cautiously approaching it I guess. I played Doom 3 a lot and it was a fun spooky adventure.

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Back at Best Buy around when RoE came out my Dad told me to go get the box and I was scared of it because of the spooky demon on the front cover so I spent a few minutes cautiously approaching it I guess.

Lol nice. :)

I remember loving Doom 3 when I first played the demo back in 2006, then when I got the full game my interest simply died halfway through the playthrough, so I didn't beat it until 2008. My second playthrough was 2 or 3 years ago when I replayed Doom 3 and the RoE expansion(which I hadn't played yet). Looking back I have fond memories of those games. I remember playing a mod based on the movie Phantasm. I loved the Doom 3 mods actually. It's a shame Gamefront decided to be a piece of shit and blocked my country and a bunch of others from their site.

Funny thing is that I'm beginning to appreciate Doom 3 and RoE moreso after all the exposure I have had of Doom 4.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Doom 3; however, I will share the positives:

• The engine, while very restrictive, produced some dazzling effects that still look good today.
• Light and shadow effects are phenomenal and really add a lot of atmosphere.
• Combat may have been limited to only a few enemies at a time, but firefights were incredibly tense and the (former) marines are actually surprisingly cunning at times.
• Environments are overflowing with detail and very thoughtfully constructed.
• The chaingun actually felt pretty satisfying to use.
• Some of the enemies looked great, particularly the lost souls, pinkies, marines, vagaries and the endboss for ROE.
• Being able to traverse Mars for a moment or two was pretty cool.
• There are some interesting puzzle elements that, while not perfect, were fairly inventive.
• Hell has a few highly memorable moments.
• The sentry bots were really cool, even if they sometimes shoot you.
• The interactive computers were a really nice touch.

One of the few Chainsaw zombies you meet is actually wearing a party hat. I believe this has to do with a string of emails discussing someone's birthday.

Clonehunter said:

One of the few Chainsaw zombies you meet is actually wearing a party hat. I believe this has to do with a string of emails discussing someone's birthday.

I somewhat remember this, but your mention of it made me chuckle.

This guy?

I think Doom 3 is a good game in its own right regardless of how good the first two are. Too many people say "It's not Doom 1 or 2" as if id were going to make the same game again in a new engine when they always try to do something different with their new games for better or for worse.

I liked seeing the same environments for a while. To many people it's repetitive, but for me it's the average length before a scenery change in other games that is too small. For once I got what I wanted.

The way it handled usual game mechanics differently, such as your interactions with objects, is to this day fairly unique and gives the game a very distinctive feel.

I love the environments, the music and the ambient sound design. You can tell where you are in the story and the campaign based on the music and the sound of the environments alone. They did a really good job with how that stuff progressed.

There was an enormous amount of effort put into making believable environments. They weren't just panels and panels of computers; there was some really interesting technology spread throughout the maps. They look like they belong on the set of "Aliens" or "Event Horizon."