Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coolkids

Android vs iPhone

jdagenet said:

Android wouldn't exist if it wasn't for iPhone. The end.

What about Symbian? [/obvious_trolling]

Well my android does a better job of communicating with my PC so it has my vote, but hey if people find the iPhone helpful that that's cool to.

I hate the way iOS makes assumptions about the way I want to use a phone. The whole one button for everything idea is so stupid. It just honestly makes me angry to use.

jdagenet said:

Android wouldn't exist if it wasn't for iPhone. The end.

Android would not exist without the Linux kernel and Java.

Iphone would not have existed if the concept wasn't proven to be successful by all the previous smart- and gadget phones made by a lot of brands.

Apple would not have been here now, unless the hundreds of highly successful mp3 players showed a nearly forgotten company they where viable... hence the Ipod which revived them.

etc.
Who cares, people just need to buy and use what they themselves want... one person likes green and the other likes red... end of story.

I only got a Galaxy S5 because of it being a gift, if otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered to buy one myself because I'm such a cheapskate.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy note 3 that I bought in 2013. I don't have any desire to change my phone, because

1) there's nothing impressive out there right now.

2) Its actually the first smart phone I'm really pleased with.

The downside is that the battery life sucks; but that's the case with most phones.

I'll keep it until it decides to start malfunctioning on me. Which is bound to happen, since they're intended to breakdown only after a few years.

The phone I had prior was the iPhone 4s. It was a decent phone, but I prefer android. Mainly for the same reasons for why I prefer PC over Mac; you're not relegated to just Apple products.

My battery life seems to have gotten worse for some reason, I guess it's because of the additional micro SD card and all the programs I have installed.

Before I had it I had a Nokia 2690 which was my first phone and you could barely even do anything with besides for calls, when I got my Galaxy I was in love with it because I could also plays games, watch videos, listen to music and browse the net while I'm out on long trips.

It has made my laptop obsolete for anything besides for playing PC games, and it has also made my MP3 player obsolete too.

AirRaid said:

What a dumb flamebait of a thread.

If such a subject degenerates into a flamefest, then that's more telling of the posters' mindset and shortcomings, than any merits or shortcomings of the actual mobile platforms in question. It's neither politics nor religion...or is it?

I've been an Android owner for 4 years and the current crop of new Androids makes me want an Iphone. Shame that the Samsung Galaxies are turning into portable leg-burning devices with shit battery life and flimsy construction.

Mr. Freeze said:

I've been an Android owner for 4 years and the current crop of new Androids makes me want an Iphone. Shame that the Samsung Galaxies are turning into portable leg-burning devices with shit battery life and flimsy construction.

Two of my friends have the same phone, and they are hating it right now, because of malfunctions. However, I've been lucky so far. (probably just jinxed myself.)

FireFish said:

Iphone would not have existed if the concept wasn't proven to be successful by all the previous smart- and gadget phones made by a lot of brands.

The concept of the iPhone wasn't present in the industry at the time the iPhone was unveiled.
Every smartphone on the market before the iPhone consisted of keyboards and sliders.

jdagenet said:

The concept of the iPhone wasn't present in the industry at the time the iPhone was unveiled.
Every smartphone on the market before the iPhone consisted of keyboards and sliders.

Even if that is the case though, it doesn't mean that people should be compelled to be loyal to Apple. If another company can do it better; that's what really counts at the bottom-line.

What can I say?

I have had two Android phones. I hate them because they are Samsung. Stay away from Samsung. All they make is full of useless junk.

I've also had an Android tablet, a tiny 7" one. Not very nice to use, partly because the OS looks unattractive, the apps likewise, and (unfortunately) it went slow since Kitkat. And not least, the wide-screen 7" size is too small and inconvenient.

My impression on Android: a relatively free (as in freedom) operating system. Unfortunately you have to buy the device from third-party vendors (who are cheap quality-wise), and on software's side I can't say that Google's own designers are very talented either. It looks pretty bland all-in-all, but is also convenient, down-to-earth to use. But if you're unlucky, your Android device will throw errors all the time, until the next system update.

As for iOS, all I've been using is an iPad mini 2, which is awesome. There are a few apps not very good for iOS (unlike Android) but not too bad. The 4:3 8" screen is very convenient both for portrait and especially landscape, without feeling too thin.

iOS Drawbacks: dependency on App Store, of course. In fact there are a lot of apps and games on the Store, but it's unfortunate you can't just download free stuff from the Internet to richen your collection as you see fit, so in a way it doesn't feel like you control it.

GENERALLY: I'd go for an Android phone (the freedom feels better for a comm device you have all the time) and an iOS tablet (the good presentation goes better for a reading/leisure device).

Whoa, I really wasnt expecting this to get this many replies. I posted this while I was drunk.

Honestly I think iFads are much more useless, a lot of Apple products seem to focus more on style over substance while Samsung products seem to be a bit more balanced.

Coolkids said:

Whoa, I really wasnt expecting this to get this many replies. I posted this while I was drunk.

You truly are living the wild side of life, partydawg.

Me and some of my geek friends were fighting over Android and iPhones while drunk, and yeah, My drunk self knew my Doomworld password.

I had an iPhone once. I got it for free when my friend upgraded. It was fun when I jailbroke it and installed Windows 2.0 on DOSbox to look like a 1337 h4x0r. Most other times it was ok, but too small and prone to odd glitches. The 3GS was also almost as rock solid as a classic Nokia. I dropped that thing on ice and it's still going strong.

I got a OnePlus One recently. Cost way too much, but it's fast and I prefer Android. No stupid iTunes for me! The one thing that pisses me off about Android is their recent bright UI fetish. Cyanogen doesn't do enough to correct that.