Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coolkids

Why did I never get the expirience the 90s?

FireFish said:

A lot of people act that way, Many do not. Take the humor and reality from that list as is... because you are the hypocrite presuming something while possibly not even reading.

And if you knew what I knew you'd know my post was a joking and non-serious reference to Vinny Vinesauce's terrible experience with Verizon's customer service:

"Do not presuuume... there to be a problem. There is no problem."

Ahaha, wait.

All the cool stuff from the 90s is still accessible to you and you get to be young and pretend all the shitty platformers and lame movie tie-ins never happened. Take it from me, being able to say you were there when it all happened isn't the better deal.

I don't really care all that much about the 90's, but I will admit there were some kick ass video games released during that era such as metal gear solid and final fantasy 7, ... oh yeah, DOOM. The music was okay too, by the late 90's that's when electronic music really started to take shape. So, there was some cool stuff.

As for me, I was born in the last year of that decade... or wait, century even. Most of my early memories lie within the 2000's.
If I live long enough, I might get to see 2100.

One thing I'm thankful to never have experienced is dial up, bwahahahaha!!!

Kontra Kommando said:

80s and 90s definitely had the ugliest cars.

Fuck that. I had a 96 accord for years and years and not only was it the opposite of ugly, I would drive one today without question. Late 80s/early 90s rangers and cherokees also have a soft spot in my heart.

Luminas and grand am coupes were pretty fugly though.

Jaxxoon R said:

And if you knew what I knew you'd know my post was a joking and non-serious reference to Vinny Vinesauce's terrible experience with Verizon's customer service:

"Do not presuuume... there to be a problem. There is no problem."

Ahaha, wait.

ooooh. My apologies for attempting to amuse myself there then...
It reminds me of ; there is no spoon.

even though i was to young to have 'experienced' the 90's like i mentioned before ;

- played on the super Nintendo around 1994 / 1995 when i was 4 or 5.
- watched a shitload of VHS, recorded many to.
- played and recorded some audio cassettes.
- the last struggle of the Walkman, not soon after everybody went mp3.
- Pokemon. 1998 / 1999 when it arrived in the EU, much older in japan (1996 green).
- and i picked up on a lot of late 90's national politics as a kid (weird, i know).
- the transfer to the euro (for this country). i still vividly remember the old money and an old rate to convert euro to it.

- the old cars and car colors (yes cars had color back then).
- people pumping gas for you ! many people did not fill the tank themselves.
- the scatman.
- digimon, yu gi oh, etc.. arrived around 1998/1999.

- hell i even remember the insane impact the matrix had on people.
- how insane the entire 'millennium' bug and millennium celebration ordeal was.
- etc.

The 90's as I recall it was a much happier time for the most part. Where every minor thing said wasn't sexist or racist somehow. And (most) people online weren't complete jerks. The music and TV shows where also better in my opinion. Everyone just seemed happier overall back than.

Netherstorm said:

One thing I'm thankful to never have experienced is dial up, bwahahahaha!!!

Heh - connecting to BBS's through a 300 baud modem and tying up the phone line for hours. Those were the good old days!

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. All the good stuff from the 90's is still knocking about. The games, the music, the TV shows and movies, you can find almost all of it still, sometimes for surprisingly cheap too (assuming you don't pirate.. I'd never do such a thing.. *cough*)

I'll never forget the fond memories of Windows 95/98, loading Doom2 via several floppy disks, and the "WOW" moments like first playing Mario 64 back in '96 and feeling like it was truly the future in terms of gaming.

I don't think I love any of those memories because it was the 90's though - It's because it was my childhood :)

So yeah, long story short, all the good stuff of the 90's is still at your fingertips now that we're truly in the information age. Don't worry about your peers liking all the modern stuff - They just don't know any better ;) and hey - Some of the modern stuff is actually pretty cool if you give it a chance!

Ack! The 90s! An Era of Seinfeld, Friends and Jenny Jones. Also when Jerry Springer had proper weirdos. Adam Sandler was one of the funniest people at that time even yet that is subjective. Bill Nye the science guy! single-handed propelled me into Planetary Science.

Technologically, a curious point in time. Coleco, Videotron (Was it called?), VHS tapes. Big tubed TVs only aristocrats could afford. MSN Gaming Zone especially is something that vividly sticks in memory, too many good times. It seems online play these days, in a way isn't as enjoyable as it once was but perhaps that came with age.

Aside from games there was plenty more to have experienced. Launch of Hubble on April 24th, the landing of Pathfinder with data transmittion. We even still had a Space Shuttle (LOL). Pluto was still a planet!

Something about the 90s felt a lot more alive and real than the construct today.

90's was awesome time, games, music, overall mood etc. Then came the new millenium and everything went sort of bland, 2010 is good, music is better(synthwave)

I got into Elite Dangerous 2 not long ago but I haven't touched it for a few days now.

This is what Diablo used to be like in the 90s. Not a bunch blinding pastel colors everywhere and cheeky monsters. You felt like you were goddamn underground, all the time. And no one was going to help you because you were fucking alone and the entire town above you was already massacred except for a few people to give you quests. Everything was muddy and gothic and horrifying.

BlackFish said:

You kids should be playing Elite Dangerous and Project Cars

Played Project Cars. Prefer rFactor 2.

Coolkids said:

It's a shame to be a young adult in a generation of shitty COD clones and 12 year old squeakers eating potato chips and screaming into a shitty microphone while they play Skrillex in the background. The games today are just awful in my opinion, they have no replayability. Kinda stupid of me to make a self-rant like this on Doomworld, but shit mate. I feel sad that Doom, my favorite game is 3 years older than I am, Never got the chance of buying the Doom floppies from the game store. Never got to conversate about it, All I want to talk about is Doom, but my peers only talk about COD or Minecraft. It sucks being 19 at this day of age. Ok, I think I vented enough on a video game forum. I dont need any sympathy, thanks.

The point is to make your own reality (even if it's not a popular one). Your bright peers will start to follow you for a change! (and the others, well, you don't need them now, do you?) That's my advice.

BFGDoomer said:

I'm 14, and my age does not bother me at all. Just because something is older than i am, that doesn't mean i can't play games from the nineties, and listen to music from the seventies or even the 1800's.

Exactly. A lot of people will mock younger ones for playing games before their time, or listening to older music. But the truth is, those things are here to stay so that future generations can experience them. Seriously, it's not like they'll all vanish off the earth.

Doom is a prime example, a game that still has an active community full of young and old.

Guest Unregistered account
Coolkids said:

It's a shame to be a young adult in a generation of shitty COD clones and 12 year old squeakers eating potato chips and screaming into a shitty microphone while they play Skrillex in the background. The games today are just awful in my opinion, they have no replayability. Kinda stupid of me to make a self-rant like this on Doomworld, but shit mate. I feel sad that Doom, my favorite game is 3 years older than I am, Never got the chance of buying the Doom floppies from the game store.

Hey, at least your favourite game isn't 9 years older than you.

I mean... I agree with everything you're saying.