Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hofmann

More new info here.

Recommended Posts

Like you said, you see some of the horror elements because the whole area has been just decimated by demons. So you’re definitely going to get those moments of gore and blood. But you can go anywhere in that area, you could jump down onto those catwalks, you could go up… so it is very Doom I/Doom II-esque in terms of that non-linearity within areas. Trying to figure out, ‘How do I get to that next area?’ Well, there’s a bunch of different places I can go.

YES YES YES! THEY GET IT! THEY FUCKING GET IT!

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when it became evident in the interview that neo-Doom encourages the player to explore. That UAC facility looked really big, and I'm quite pleased to hear I'll be able to explore it extensively. I'm also really excited about the verticality, I think that will be a wonderful new element for the Doom universe. I was also intrigued by the mention of locations, because, unless I'm getting the wrong vibe, it seems like Marty was implying that it's not just UAC and Hell. Maybe there will be something in between (or afterwards) that will serve as a real surprise, even if it's not Earth.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

Yeah, I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when it became evident in the interview that neo-Doom encourages the player to explore. That UAC facility looked really big, and I'm quite pleased to hear I'll be able to explore it extensively. I'm also really excited about the verticality, I think that will be a wonderful new element for the Doom universe. I was also intrigued by the mention of locations, because, unless I'm getting the wrong vibe, it seems like Marty was implying that it's not just UAC and Hell. Maybe there will be something in between (or afterwards) that will serve as a real surprise, even if it's not Earth.


Phobos and Deimos?

Share this post


Link to post

If the maps are indeed large enough to dominate using different approaches and tactics, big enough to allow you to really explore... having secrets, etc. I think the re-playable factor will go way up. Which is a good thing.

I know some people don't like it as much, but I actually enjoy getting lost in Doom WADS, trying to figure out the puzzle of how to get to the next area or complete the map. When I saw the post from Marty explaining that essential phrase "Trying to figure out, ‘How do I get to that next area?’ Well, there’s a bunch of different places I can go."

I hope we have to hunt for keys/switches/etc. I'm okay with a well designed "labyrinth" of open space to explore.

This has pretty much given me the answer I've been wanting to hear.

Share this post


Link to post

The more I hear stuff like this, and the more I watch the gameplay demo, the more I'm convinced that the person who was playing the demo was just plain bad at the game.

Think about how fast she was sprinting through hallways just to slow to a crawl during firefights. Using the shotty at really bad ranges (possibly to coax the finishing moves from triggering instead of outright killing the enemies?) or how she stops in place a lot of times just to fire a weapon. Or how she would activate the weapon wheel whenever she saw an enemy? Almost killing herself with rockets? Or doing finishers while other enemies were around her attacking her in the hell stage?

I'm pretty convinced this game can be played much faster than what was shown... especially with mouse and keyboard. It would make sense considering how large these stages look combined with how vertical they are.

They would not make the player have slow movement speed when designing non-linear levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Obzen said:

The more I hear stuff like this, and the more I watch the gameplay demo, the more I'm convinced that the person who was playing the demo was just plain bad at the game.

Think about how fast she was sprinting through hallways just to slow to a crawl during firefights. Using the shotty at really bad ranges (possibly to coax the finishing moves from triggering instead of outright killing the enemies?) or how she stops in place a lot of times just to fire a weapon. Or how she would activate the weapon wheel whenever she saw an enemy? Almost killing herself with rockets? Or doing finishers while other enemies were around her attacking her in the hell stage?

I'm pretty convinced this game can be played much faster than what was shown... especially with mouse and keyboard. It would make sense considering how large these stages look combined with how vertical they are.

They would not make the player have slow movement speed when designing non-linear levels.


yeah, she would have been dead plenty of times if the health wasnt godmode'd to 10%. The official trailer shows some nice flow, bit like Dishonored had.

Share this post


Link to post
Obzen said:

I'm pretty convinced this game can be played much faster than what was shown... especially with mouse and keyboard. It would make sense considering how large these stages look combined with how vertical they are.


I hope so, because what I saw was not fast.

Share this post


Link to post

I know this has already been said somewhere, but I thought it was pretty obvious the person playing the demo was intentionally moving very slow at times in order to show off the visuals and details, and also let the crowd get more of a sense of what sort of areas she was moving through than they would if she just breezed right through it.

Share this post


Link to post
TheGamePhilosophe said:

I hope so, because what I saw was not fast.




Looks pretty fast to me, the part at 0:17 is like Quake 3 Arena fast.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

Phobos and Deimos?


He said the hell level shown was halfway through and that there would be no earth in the game. I would prefer progression to go like this...

Mars
Phobos
Deimos
Hell

Doomguy dies, goes to Hell on Earth, game ends.

With Hell being halfway this means its either going to be huge, Mars and its moon are going to be small or there is going to be backtracking either by gameplay or by levels(mars, hell, phobos, hell, deimos, mars, hell).

Share this post


Link to post

This is just really awesome :O Means my automap drawing isn't now the full size of the entire map :p

Exploring, here i come :)

Share this post


Link to post

While not mentioned in this article for those worried about the slowdown caused by the weapon wheel, Marty stated that you will be able to "fast select" your weapons as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Vertical gameplay is awesome thing, one of the best in modern gamedesign. I hope for good sandbox simulation like Crysis 2... and secrets!

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know when will they show more of the game or has anyone been or knows anything abut either of these interviews:

June 16 - 1:00pm PT Join Marty Stratton, Executive Producer at id Software, and Hugo Martin, Art Director at id Software, for a look into the next chapter of DOOM.

June 17 - 11:00am PT Bethesda hosts a roundtable with id Software's Marty Stratton (Executive Producer), Hugo Martin (Art Director), Garrett Young (General Manager) and Robert Duffy (Chief Technology Officer).

Thursday June 18 - 11:00am PT - id Software's Marty Stratton sits down for a special interview that dives into DOOM's strong community and the developer's plans for getting players involved.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/e3-2015-what-we-want-to-see-1269227/3

I'm bored, I want more info and demos to analyze.

Share this post


Link to post

"...You can actually use some of the verticality to get height on the demons and fire down, and wait for them to traverse and try and catch you – and then jump back down.

We refer to these arenas almost like skate parks, where you’re just going in and you’re improvising your way through this combat dance with the enemies. And it’s just… it’s super fun, ...
"

Mmmmm that felt really good to read.

Share this post


Link to post
TheGamePhilosophe said:

I hope so, because what I saw was not fast.




For reference, doom is really not THAT fast unless you've gotten really good at it.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

I was also intrigued by the mention of locations, because, unless I'm getting the wrong vibe, it seems like Marty was implying that it's not just UAC and Hell. Maybe there will be something in between (or afterwards) that will serve as a real surprise, even if it's not Earth.


Perhaps the player dies and goes to heaven, and then kills god?

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:


More good stuff I'm seeing in this interview. I must say, I'd grown cynical towards id over the last several years, what with all the problems they've had with each new release, not delivering things when they said they would, long time employees departing, stories of internal strife and troubled development, etc. Ever since I saw the Doom reveal at Quakecon, I've seen one promising thing after another, to where my faith and confidence in them is slowly being restored. I hope that trend continues.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×