Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

Warp House [GZDoom SP - Idgames Link Up]

Warp House is Shores of Hell inspired, heffer of a map. I intended to make something true to the original Doom, but the inspiration from the 2016 game carried it to completion. It only uses resources from the original game in the map structure and an original MIDI OST. No fancy lights, story sequences or any of that horse shit. Just a lot of monsters, secrets and 20,000 sectors to explore.

Download Idgames

The crate textures on the last screenshot are apparently horizontally downsized. Did you use a high FOV, or is it in the map? (if the latter, it looks a bit unnatural IMO, but I guess it's actually the former)

I can also spot a misalignment on the leftmost SLADSKUL wall on the same screenshot. Otherwise great!

The design is impressive and I like it, but at the same time it kinda looks like a cluttered mess. Specifically screen shot 3. No offense.

That Brown crate in the front of the last screenshot leads me to believe you just cut the linedef and matched up the sides, but that could just be a coincidental effect of the lighting.

Either way, I think this map looks sweet, great use of slopes, and the name makes it sound interesting. Let me know when the beta comes out :)

That eye up there on the second screenshot sure gives me the creeps. And that's saying something, especially when it comes to Doom, because I get the creeps only so often!

Anyway, lookin' good. I'll keep my eyes open for the release.

nxGangrel said:

The design is impressive and I like it, but at the same time it kinda looks like a cluttered mess. Specifically screen shot 3. No offense.

No offense taken. My maps are always a convoluted mess.

The crates are 64x64 - probably just wonky aspect ratio in the shots.

I'm working on a GZDoom map myself with plenty of 3d floors and slopes, so I'm studying those screen grabs intensely for inspiration/ideas to steal. Look forward to trying this out.

Whoa! This is looking highly impressive.
I can't wait to -nomonsters so I can take in the amazing aesthetics at my leisure.

Dave

It probably would've been finished a year ago if I didn't decide to only use resources from doom.wad. 90% of the build time has been me aligning textures to work in situations in which they were never intended to be used in.

Saw the screenshots, liked e'm, and thought to myself, "I'm always down for a good flesh tunnel" with a terrifying lack of sarcasm. I contained the resulting chuckle so as not to disturb my fiance.

Looks awesome. Gotta give it a go once the final version is released.

Once again man, looking good, great use of slopes and border textures to paint a room that looks like something I could walk into.

*Edit*

So what's the timeline looking like at this time on this?

Fonze said:

So what's the timeline looking like at this time on this?

No gameplay implemented as far as combat is concerned. Architecture is probably at 80% with mostly detailing being the major work to be done. I would like to see it finished before the end of summer but I'm not rushing anything.

I may be in the minority here but try not to get too lazy when you get to implementing gameplay (I know I usually dread it) since I think a lot of hyper-realistically detailed maps I've played have pretty boring gameplay, especially in comparison to all the pretty stuff I could look at instead of fighting a wave of monsters suddenly teleported to me. Although I think things have come a quite a ways since then so maybe you don't really need to be reminded but it always helps I guess >.<

Also maybe you should try placing the decorative things as part of the detailing process.

I'd be quite interested if this map ends up having some non-conventional gameplay, although that might just be due to the way I make my own maps. Maybe have Spider Masterminds or Cyberdemons constantly sniping throughout and then release them into the map proper at the end, for example.

Ooh, I might do that myself...

The map is essentially done! I need a couple beta testers if anyone is interested in lending a hand in bug hunting. PM me if you want to give it a spin.

Looks like a typical Ed Cripps map. I was impressed by the visuals you had in your Putrefier and Valhalla maps. Hope all the slopes and detailings don't mess up the players mobility and that the gameplay will not suffer from it. I'll definitely give it a go.

Officer D said:

Hope all the slopes and detailings don't mess up the players mobility and that the gameplay will not suffer from it. I'll definitely give it a go.

Happy to report that the detail does not hinder player movement at all. Ed has done a great job in making sure that the sizzle doesn't interfere with the steak.

This is perhaps my favorite wad that I've ever played. If not, then damn close to it. Absolutely stunning job with this Ed; easily as fun as it is beautiful!