Any ETA on the release?

MFG38 said:

Oh yeah! I've been waiting for this.

Any ETA on the release?

Halloween, give or take

Ed said:

Halloween, give or take

Sweet. Looking forward to it!

I've shown interest in the screenshot thread(s) that you've posted in, I've now subscribed to this thread. I really look forward to the release!

First beta released. Extra special thanks to Fonze, Tormentor, Essel and Jimmy. Have fun!

Full clear / Spoilers

Download Public Beta V1

Congrats on the release! Great to see such hard work and dedication pay off; the map is phenomenal!

I'm loving the map so far, but hating my computer

Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that any computer can drop this low on Doom?

MinerOfWorlds said:

You have not seen the wad nuts have you?

Actually, when using GLBoom-Plus, I run nuts.wad better than this....

KalebNoobMaster said:

Actually, when using GLBoom-Plus, I run nuts.wad better than this....

What kind of rig are you working with? My old Core2Duo just barely ran it. My i7 rig doesn't seem to lag at all where my girlfriend's i5 has some slowdown in the main courtyard area.

Wow this is something special, a real work of art and no mistake. Crazy level of detail. Its just on the brink of visual chaos, I was dreading trying to remember any of it for backtracking, but its not too bad in the end. I did get pretty confused at a couple of points, in general it does a good job of leading you where you need to go, but you have to keep your wits about you sometimes. I spent a few minutes wandering around at the end after killing the mastermind without a clue where to go, before stumbling on the exit by chance.

But yeah, amazing work.

I'm really liking this map! It's highly detailed but everything looks really well balanced without ever crossing into gaudy territory. All the sliding/moving flesh effects throughout the map are really awesome, I also loved the various eyes that were even blinking sometimes. Fun to play, always the right amount of health where you need it.

I died a few times, once I ended up in a trap with never ending spawning lost souls. I found a spot where I could berserk-punch them the instant they spawned, but I moved slightly and ended up dead. One other little thing I noticed was the Daisy on a spike in the corner, that was a nice little easter egg.

I haven't actually beaten this fully yet, but I just spent about 25 minutes playing and got about halfway. Still need to find the keys.. Excellent stuff so far, will comment again once I'm done!

mouldy said:

Wow this is something special, a real work of art and no mistake. Crazy level of detail. Its just on the brink of visual chaos, I was dreading trying to remember any of it for backtracking, but its not too bad in the end. I did get pretty confused at a couple of points, in general it does a good job of leading you where you need to go, but you have to keep your wits about you sometimes. I spent a few minutes wandering around at the end after killing the mastermind without a clue where to go, before stumbling on the exit by chance.

But yeah, amazing work.

Thank you kindly. I started building it as a gag, to be honest. The older construction in the center, northern part of the map shows the worst abuse of stylistic combinations. Early on, half of the main courtyard was totally green brick Gothic with a long, tongue like vertex slope tendril that swooped down into the big blood pool. I think I demolished the whole half of that in favor of having the big bridge instead. The overall arching theme was to be 50% of the map being in goth theme and twisting a traditional tech base into itself. The theme stayed in the final map, albeit much less stylistically dramatic than the original goal. Iv'e seen other mappers able to pull it off much more convincingly than I can.

Mechadon said:

Definetely can't wait to play this! Congrats on finishing this Ed, I know it was a ton of work.

Thanks. I admit, 80% of the build time was sitting in my chair just kind of looking at the Doom Builder screen, listening to podcasts. It would have been done three times over if I had a stricter work ethic. :)

Easily one of my favourite releases this year! You've done a fantastic job Ed, the gameplay was just as good as the visuals! I had plenty of ammo, but not too much. I always felt free to explore, yet cleverly guided - I never felt lost. Most importantly, I enjoyed it from start to finish!

Some very, very interesting moments in the map - the crusher 'puzzle/fight'was absolutely brilliant; the cyber fight seemed, for want of a better description, 'really nice'; and the reuse of several areas was also executed brilliantly.

All in all, I have very few 'nitpicks', which are below.

- The exit was so... anticlimatic. It was also poorly marked. If the exitsigns were OUTSIDE the door, rather than inside, I may have been less surprised by the abruptness of the ending, but it does feel 'rushed'compared to the rest of the map which is very grand and expansive in comparison.

- I found a couple of skips, videos below. Maybe you'd like to keep them for "speedrunner's sake"?

- I also found a way to 'get out of the map', forcing the player to noclip /fly back into the map, easily fixable by making a couple of lines impassable. Video below.

- The mastermind fight could be completely ignored, which was a shame.

@Dragonfly - These should be turned into secrets :D

@Ed - As I have already said (thanks for letting me test this already one week ago) this is amazing. Never have seen something of that beauty before and what's most impressive is the fact that it only uses stock Doom textures. Well done, instant Cacoward in my eyes!

Has anyone given speedrunning this a go yet? I've been able to get around 7:30 on ITYTD; this time can easily be beaten as I'm sure it's not optimally routed yet and I'm not the best at executing said routes either! - This map is definitely a lot of fun to speedrun through though, I recommend you all give it a try. :)

Ed said:

What kind of rig are you working with? My old Core2Duo just barely ran it. My i7 rig doesn't seem to lag at all where my girlfriend's i5 has some slowdown in the main courtyard area.

Sorry for the late reply, but

Spoiler

It is a shitty HP laptop, but it still sucks that any wad can make me lag

KalebNoobMaster said:

It is a shitty HP laptop, but it still sucks that any wad can make me lag

If it makes you feel any better, Planisphere 2 lags my i7 pretty severely still.

@Dragonfly - Good catch, thanks for the heads up! Your best time is a hell of a lot better than mine. The final, idgames release has those exploits worked out and the final battle has itself a nice set of teeth now :)

Cant play this right now since My Pc is busted.
But based on those screen and the videos that this is yet another Cacoward worthy Megamap.

I enjoyed putrefier and valhalla with how detailed your maps are.
Im convinced you are secretly an AI created by Xaser and Mechadon to create a hybrid mapping machine.

Thanks to everyone that helped me complete this map. There are some subtle and not so subtle tweaks in this final version. Enjoy!

Download Idgames