Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Things Doom 4 is doing right

Jaxxoon R said:

>reloading hurting suspension of disbelief

>magic monsters from an evil magic land of evil

ye

Of course. Nothing wrong with magic monsters from a land of evil. It's believable enough that something that crazy could happen within our universe in a way. It still fits within the rules of our universe.

But a pistol that holds 400 bullets feels a bit goofy.

Now if instead it was set in some kind of digital hacker world or some crazy cartoon world, it suddenly could make sense. Like in Borderlands 2, having a gun that yells cuss words when firing is funny and fits and whatever because the world is crazy and that's the theme. Having that same gun as a standard thing in a game like DooM just feels out of place. It would be hilarious as a secret or a fan made mod, but not as a regular weapon you find. Even in Duke Nukem, a gun like that wouldn't make sense. Duke Nukem still feels like it belongs in a world that follows somewhat realistic rules with a huge air of hollywood over the top action. You're not going to see giant cartoon bears shooting cartoon hammers at you or anything.

Basically my point is doom to me doesn't feel like a universe where guns shouldn't reload. It's a sci fi world like Aliens or Terminator with an action packed hollywood style realism. Things are over the top but still make some sense. Imagine watching Terminator or Aliens and he suddenly picks up a giant cartoon gun that yells obscenities. Now imagine that same thing in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and it makes sense.

Is not seeing your pistol reload really any more suspension-lifting than having your health refill without seeing Doomguy open and apply his stimpacks, etc? It has honestly never crossed my mind.

potnop said:

I'm probably still going to take cover heh.

It's how I play Doom normally already.

If there's a room with a huge amount of monsters on the other side I take potshots at them with the chaingun or rocket launcher. And if I'm in some tight corridors I'm usually going to be running around with the shotgun hiding behind pillars and corners and taking shots at enemies.

So you can still play it like this (i.e. the boring way) whether or not reloading is a thing. My favorite thing about classic Doom is that I can play very aggressively, though, and some of that would be lost if I had to stop and reload in the middle of a fight all the time.

Also watching my guy put shells into the shotgun actually adds to the action for me. I feel like I'm in an action movie.

Meh, I'd rather feel like I'm playing an action game. Almost every FPS in the last decade has been trying to make you feel like you're in an action movie. That's something I actually like about CoD, but don't need it in Doom. Besides, the Doom 4 SSG is still loaded shell-by-shell, and the normal shotgun is still pumped with every shot.

potnop said:

Basically my point is doom to me doesn't feel like a universe where guns shouldn't reload. It's a sci fi world like Aliens or Terminator with an action packed hollywood style realism. Things are over the top but still make some sense. Imagine watching Terminator or Aliens and he suddenly picks up a giant cartoon gun that yells obscenities. Now imagine that same thing in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and it makes sense.

Considering one of the game's main sources for inspiration is a movie about a dude with a chainsaw hand, I think it's entirely appropriate.

Well I definitely don't feel too weird about instantly receiving health when running over a health pack or instantly donning an armor vest so I guess I can see how people don't feel weird about lack of reloading.

If if wasn't for reloading becoming a standard thing in shooters over the last decades I'd probably not even think twice about it missing either.

So, for all you "Aggressive" style gamers out there, how do you handle hitscan enemies like chain gunners without taking cover? Do you just take the damage and pick up more health packs? I get running around and circle strafing hell knights with the super shotgun. I do that too. But sometimes I feel like there's definitely room for taking it slow and carefully. Especially on Go2It with that one area with all the arch viles, cyberdemons, and revenants. No waaaaay am I sticking my head out of there for more than a few seconds to try to shoot the arch viles first.

Generally I find there's usually cover in a map where there are many hitscan enemies, but other options are to shoot them first priority and using other monsters as cover.

potnop said:

Well I definitely don't feel too weird about instantly receiving health when running over a health pack or instantly donning an armor vest so I guess I can see how people don't feel weird about lack of reloading.

If if wasn't for reloading becoming a standard thing in shooters over the last decades I'd probably not even think twice about it missing either.

So, for all you "Aggressive" style gamers out there, how do you handle hitscan enemies like chain gunners without taking cover? Do you just take the damage and pick up more health packs? I get running around and circle strafing hell knights with the super shotgun. I do that too. But sometimes I feel like there's definitely room for taking it slow and carefully. Especially on Go2It with that one area with all the arch viles, cyberdemons, and revenants. No waaaaay am I sticking my head out of there for more than a few seconds to try to shoot the arch viles first.

Cover can be helpful but my preferred tactic in games like Doom is to simply move around constantly so it's hard for the enemies to hit me, I actually kinda prefer this over hiding behind cover.

As someone who's currently trying to replay Doom and Doom II on nightmare mode (never bothered before, I'm terrible) I have to say this tactic helps, but the big question is if Doom 4 will allow you to move fast enough to pull those kinda crazy stunts.

Not reloading isn't very realistic but I kinda dig this move. Even most retro-revival shooters have reloading so this kinda sets Doom 4 apart from other games. And I like the streamlined spimpicity of this, it's like Quake or Unreal Tournament. I've always liked the "the less is more" approach in games, most classic games from the 80's and 90's had barely any buttons at all compared to new games, after all.

No cover system. Getting behind something is cover enough. Needs to be fast paced. Cover system slows things down.

As long as the guns have a reloading animation but don't have an actual clip size I'm good with it.

VGames said:

No cover system. Getting behind something is cover enough. Needs to be fast paced. Cover system slows things down.

Don't worry, the devs agree. They said the game is "Bruce Lee on a skateboard with a shotgun" and "If you stop, you're dead"

DooM_RO said:

Don't worry, the devs agree. They said the game is "Bruce Lee on a skateboard with a shotgun" and "If you stop, you're dead"

LOL that sounds like an awesome game all on its own.

Want to see something like this:

Bunny hopping makes everything better, especially multiplayer.