Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cr0wb4r

About those keycard icons

So of course, FreeDoom needs some new keycard icons for the HUD as the current ones don't look anything like the in-game ones.

I've got my unfinished ones that I can try tidying up for submitting. Anyone who wants to view/edit them can find them with my FreeDM statbar on the Statbar thread.

Some suggestions for the shading and colour tones would be appreciated. :)

Looks like I won't be getting off lightly with my old icons. :)

I'll look into doing some new ones for Raymoohawk's new key designs as well.

sorry crowbar, didnt mean to give you more work

catoptromancy, the designs where done by blox, not me. he made the keycards first, specifically for freedoom. he later did the skulls at my request

the original posts are in this thread

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=16095
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15080&start=16110

when pmed for crediting info, he said crediting under "Bloax" was fine, that was the only given info thoug

sorry crowbar, didnt mean to give you more work

I don't mind, I need the practice. Speaking of which, some new skull keys...

And here's some keycards...

(These may need some small tweaks though, so suggestions will help.)

:P

http://www.filedropper.com/newkeycards

Here's a link to the new key card icons on file dropper. Contains both sets (Skull keys have dark and lit eye variants), the pictures I posted of all cards collected and also a test wad.

Just got a quick fix update to the skull keys, the lit eyes now have colours to match the in-game skull keys.

http://www.filedropper.com/skullupdate

I might ask why Freedoom has "skull" keys in the first place. Is there anywhere in the game where it actually tells you that you need a "skull" to activate something, outside of BOOM extended linedefs (which I still think should be extricated from the project personally, but I respect that will apparently never happen).

Quasar said:

I might ask why Freedoom has "skull" keys in the first place. Is there anywhere in the game where it actually tells you that you need a "skull" to activate something, outside of BOOM extended linedefs (which I still think should be extricated from the project personally, but I respect that will apparently never happen).

Very good point. Could we get away with three other colours of regular key?

Even if vanilla doesn't differentiate them, Boom can. Regardless of Freedoom's own levels, I think having unique symbols is still better than not.

Quasar said:

here is the reason

I think we have been working on a more science based theme. Red, green, and blue would work perfectly. Turn skulls into prisms. Keycards are basic science keys, while colored prisms are special. Special textures can be added for multikey prism doors. Depending on the specific map theme, black or white based prism textures can be used.

The texture for prism based multiple doors could have the overlap pattern.

nah, we should go for rule of cool on everything, a prism is cool in the real world, but boring to sprite.

thats also the same reason why i ignored the suggestions that the imp shoul be a weak looking humanoid monster, better to make the stronger monsters cooler than the weak ones lamer

i suppose i could make an attemp at prism crystal skulls or something and that way the additional textures could still work since the pattern idea is pretty cool

Probably because if you get to a door that needs a red skull key, the text says
"You need the red skull key to open this door"
(I did not go look at the code to get the wording just right, but that is what I remember (nitpicker disclaimer))