Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Superluigieth1

Sony Playstation Prototype surfaces

His claims of "hurrdurr I don't have a power adapter" are suspect. It's wicked easy to buy one in range of the rating in back, why doesn't he do so?

I'll bet any amount of internet points that this is yet another Reddit user trying to score Epic Upvotes For The Win.

Bucket said:

My dad worked for Nuntedo, this is a real video.

It was shot with a real video camera ☺

Jaxxoon R said:

That thing's sketchy as fuck and I don't trust it. There's also the fact it doesn't quite match up with the few glimpses of the system that we have seen.

I'm betting fake until absolutely proven otherwise.

It's not unusual for complex devices to go through a long prototype phase that includes several designs. If this is a hoax it's a ridiculously elaborate hoax.

People are talking about plugging that thing in. I'd be scared and have an engineer prod it first to see if plugging it in is likely to toast it. I'd probably even donate it to a good computer museum so it has a chance of surviving the ordeal and doesn't just end up in some rich dude's pile of curiosities.

I remember in 1999 someone found one too in Japan and had a lot of pics on some Japanese ghetto site of him with it and they too were very credible, even if the site looked like shit.

It was also a time before 3D printers.

What's also interesting is Nintendo made a prototype with the flame retardant material which causes gray white to turn yellow over time. Its more expensive to use the flame retardant plastic, which is why they didn't use it for later models. Lego stopped using it too.

I finally watched the video only the front / bottom is yellowed. So it could be real in terms of the plastic.

Linguica said:

Oh wow I found a piece of video game history *does some super garbage camera work*

The camera work is so shitty it could qualify as a sort of performance art.

geo said:

What's also interesting is Nintendo made a prototype with the flame retardant material which causes gray white to turn yellow over time. Its more expensive to use the flame retardant plastic, which is why they didn't use it for later models. Lego stopped using it too.

+1 for interesting info. Always wondered why some of my older stuff yellowed over time.

Probably uses a standard SNES power adapter, assuming it's real :P Even the Virtual Boy used the same power adapter as the SNES. If it has voltage and polarity indicators on it, it would settle the question easily.

Buckshot said:

+1 for interesting info. Always wondered why some of my older stuff yellowed over time.

If you paint the yellowing plastics with high potency peroxide hair dye (40 volume) and U.V. it for a couple of days, it will reverse the yellowing. The yellowing also degrades the integrity of the plastic, so it's actually partitive you either keep the console out of direct sunlight (which is what causes the reaction) or reverse the effects yourself with said instructions.

Technician said:

If you paint the yellowing plastics with high potency peroxide hair dye (40 volume) and U.V. it for a couple of days, it will reverse the yellowing. The yellowing also degrades the integrity of the plastic, so it's actually partitive you either keep the console out of direct sunlight (which is what causes the reaction) or reverse the effects yourself with said instructions.

You'll have a bimbo of a computer. It'll also turn green in chlorine afterward.

I guess it's fun to masturbate over something utterly functionless. Maybe it plays SNES games, but nothing works via that disc drive so why should we give a monkey's? It's simply another artifact that has no other value other than it's own obsolescence.

Technician said:

If you paint the yellowing plastics with high potency peroxide hair dye (40 volume) and U.V. it for a couple of days, it will reverse the yellowing.

And probably make everything as crumbly as a dunked cookie.

SYS said:

I guess it's fun to masturbate over something utterly functionless. Maybe it plays SNES games, but nothing works via that disc drive so why should we give a monkey's? It's simply another artifact that has no other value other than it's own obsolescence.

Regardless of the disc drive being functionless, it being a prototype console (of something that was unreleased, no less) for which only around 5 are known to exist, this guy's going to easily net an enormous coin when he sells it. Then there's the possibility of dev discs designed for this console surfacing in the future. That's why there's such a craze over this, why people are envious of it, why they're "masturbating".

@geo: Pro youtubers hardly ever do find really rare stuff, if you know the kind of valuable items out there. Most people that discover or own rare, highly valuable things (that eclipse most anything you find posted about on youtube) don't publicize what they have. Or at least not to the same extent.

SYS said:

Fuck dinosaurs. They do nothing but be dead and utterly functionless. They're just a bunch of artifacts with no value other than the fact that they existed and are really old.

Jaxxoon R said:

Fuck dinosaurs. They do nothing but be dead and utterly functionless. They're just a bunch of artifacts with no value other than the fact that they existed and are really old.

To be fair, there hasn't been a movie where old consoles have a theme park and then come alive to kill everyone. Yet.

I mean, Tron was close.

Anyways, it's a neat little bit of gaming history. It's basically the first step in a line of consoles that's still going today, but so few people have seen it operating, and certainly not the average gamer. It may essentially be the gaming equivalent of a fish with legs but that only makes it more interesting.

Maes said:

And probably make everything as crumbly as a dunked cookie.

Nope.

SYS said:

Archeology is bullshit, too. ISIS is saving us a fortune destroying all those ancient cultural heritage sites.