Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
terminus12

Dueling in DOOM

Dueling in arena shooters has always been of particular interest to me. It is the true test of one's skill and knowledge of the game and its intricacies. You have only your own skill, knowledge, and focus to rely on. You can't rely on others (or blame others if you lose), nor is their much luck involved in a well crafted dueling game and there is little room for error. It has always been the ultimate challenge in arena shooters.

Dueling should be an important part of the DOOM multiplayer for several reasons.
1. History has defined dueling it as a part of an arena shooter. Arena shooters have always partially been judged by how good of a dueling game they are.
2. It is still the true test of one's skill pure skill at the game. Not just in arena shooters, but in any well designed multiplayer game, in my opinion.
3. Arena shooters are the best fps platform for it. From lack of load-outs to the various spawn points, it forces the player to be adequate with several guns, have knowledge of the map layout and their own position, keep track of what their opponent has and try to predict what they have gotten since the last encounter, and boast great skill in things such as aim and dodging. There are a multitude of other reasons why arena shooters are the best fps platform for dueling, but I won't get into all that.

While it is obvious that dueling should be a vital part of the DOOM multiplayer (according to me at least :D), I'm curious if others think so, and if ID thinks so. Dueling has not been popular in FPS, generally speaking, for quite some time. Also, games like counter-strike and various MOBAs have become vastly popular since dueling started to dwindle. The common theme in all of those is teamwork. This makes me question whether ID (or whoever is doing the multiplayer, I know it's being outsourced) will keep it in mind while the multiplayer is designed. I think the idea makes many people uncomfortable. Having everything on them with only themselves to blame if they lose (yet all the glory if they win), having to pick themselves up when they get knocked down instead of being helped up (and not having others to blame for their loss) etc. etc.

I'm curious, what is everyone else's take on the subject? Do y'all think dueling is dead for the better, or do you agree with me and think it is a vital part of this genre and ID should make the possibly bold move of making sure it is a quality game for dueling.

p.s. does anybody here play quakeworld? Quakeworld dueling is something I've wanted to get into for sometime, but it is extremely hard to find people to play with in the States, and the ones who are around have been playing forever and could kick my ass :D, I'm only 21 so I wasn't old enough to play these games back in the day unfortunately.

I think we will definitely get dueling and even if we don't, with Snapmap I am sure it will be easy to implement.

Quake is a very difficult game to understand how to play. Duels can't be mass popular, but it has own culture(most spectacular part cybersport). I hope new Doom will be good replacement for Quake Live, because QL/Q3 is too old and many things can be changed to made something different.

I'm sure there will be dueling, iD knows things like duel and CTF are pretty popular with the community. I'm hoping dueling isn't to item heavy though like Quake 3. Nearly every iconic Doom 2 duel map has zero emphasis on item timing.

While Yeah we can make our own modes in snapmap the better question is will the things given to us (i.e. Guns and items given in the game etc.) be balanced in a manner suitable for dueling? There are still variables we might not have control over that will have an effect on duels.

And yeah maybe a dueling game like quake is a little too much to ask for at this time. However I've noticed that as well, that doom dueling, while skillful, doesn't emphasize certain things as much as quake dueling does (aka map control) and maybe that'll make it easier to revive some interest if they are able to make it like the old doom gamrs in that regard,challenging dueling but not such a steep learning curve that it will dissuade newcomers.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by dueling; do you mean a 1 vs 1 mode? Do you mean the tournament mode from Quake 3? Do you mean just standard deathmatch?
I'm positive there's going to be a deathmatch mode and you will be able to adjust the player count without the need to even use Snapmap.

I've never heard it called 1v1 mode but yeah just one versus one. And while yeah it's easy to just adjust player count, not all games are necessarily good for dueling. Also, duels tend to have different setups and what not as compared your standard FFA. Like in Q3 the quad damage doesn't appear in the duel mode but it does in FFA.

Just go to youtube and type in "quake live cooller" to see some high level QL/Q3 duels to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (obviously done at a very high level, however)

EDIT: looked up tournament mode for quake 3 arena and yeah that's what I'm talking about. I only played quake live and they called it dueling so that's why I wasn't sure what you meant by that.