Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

TAS (tool-assisted) demos: part 2

Sf2012 Map 3 UV-Speed in 00:15

Credits go to Rodster for his idea of the shortcut and j4rio for his demo showing the way to megasphere.

Edit: Attachment below!

Red-XIII said:

Avj.wad NM Speed all, segmented time 15:45

Far from perfect, but still one of the coolest demo I've ever made!

What an enjoyable run to watch (and for sure also to make). note that it shows a lot of new tricks and the first lvl 28 and lvl 30 exits. The only exits which are not done yet are 15s and 31s. What red did not know is that I was working on an D2ALL nm 100 (there are no secrets in avj except of some in map32, but this way I would HAVE to include map31 and map32), but seeing reds run I have to say that mine would have been by far not that fast, a lot of tricks he found would not have been in it such that I would have been quite dissapointed if I would have been further into doing it. Great job!

Yeah i tried that. But everytime, those spectres kept blocking my way. So i went that way. Nice demo.

hey guys, I have a question. how do you people glide? I mean....for example, doom2 map 02 glide. should i you use xdre2 to make a glide if i am doing a tas? I am not so successful in making glides, not that expert but map 02 glide isn't happening for me. so just want to know....if you don't mind.

Glides take very specific movements, small movements specifically. It's something you can play around with. I can use XDRE for glides, but I'm not really the person who could answer that. 4shockblast can probably answer that better.

Huh... Making instant glides it's like programming where adding and removing MF40 on MF41 or TR2 on TR1 and trying get right coordinations.
My way is simple:
1) In Doom Builder I'm looking for right coordinates for glide.
2) When i close to gap i use only MF and TR or TL commands and no SR or SL commands anymore ( just to get rid of damn inertia) (but with another glides like in map22 i have to use SR and SL commands)
3) Looking for specific position within 2-7 tics by adding and removing tics.

You also can check my old D2ALL on Doom 2 Nightmare 17:57 where i used non-xdre style but i wouldn't recommended.
Or better check Hock TAS run in XDRE and see - how there tics are built.

Azuruish said:

My way is simple:

That's noticeable, heh.

This is how I'm doing an instant glide using XDRE 2's bruteforce function:
1) Run to the gap, make the momentum direction perpendicular to the gap even if it requires you to lose speed (unless it's like |♢ ♢|, that's a different story).

2) At the tic when you're 1-5 units away from the gap (you're very close to it, but not touching the adjancent walls) start the bruteforce. Here's a pic that shows how to use it.
Example
Keep in mind that stuff will take time.

If it says "whole range examined, no cigar", then try correcting your movement trajectory even more, or just try changing some tic randomly until it works, e.g. MF50 SR50 to MF40 SR40.

If it "found it", but you can't move through anyway:
- try moving closer / farther away from the gap
- well... make sure it's a 32-unit gap

Indeed, the best way to master it is to play with it.

Personally I need to work on my gliding skills with bruteforce, because the project I'm working on now has a glide.

Wow... Never thought that bruteforce can be used in glides. Usually i use bruteforce as -Skipsec command.
But i guess i don't know even half of ability of this program as nowhere described these functions.
Anyway that program works perfect with Glides and Linedef skip and it's enough for me.

It's also useful if
- you need to get maximum possible damage of a shot (Dmg = a desired number)
- trying to punch an arachotron / mastermind (Dmg > 0)
- need to get a certain RNG index (RNG Index = n)
- need to get an instant / quick wallrun (Speed > 30), not a promising one though, never could make use of it
- making a fence glide (X mom / Y mom), but it's easier to do by hand

Really Useful Info there clumsydoomer. I've been experimenting with this bruteforce function for a while and now i seem to understand how it works. Especially with glides.

Azuruish said:

-Skipsec command

hey azuruish, does skipsec command work with holyhell maps? I wonder why i am unable to use it in map 03...

Well. Khm... One thing i know surely: If on map more than 1500 monsters or map is overloaded by details (tooooooooo much lines, tooooooo much textures and sectors, for example Sunder Map14 or Sunlust Map24 with Map30) then -skipsec will be work really poorly.

It must work but it will work as just with speed 500 or speed 600.
If you do UV-Speed or UV-MAX on such maps then ignore that command because it's not even help (engine can't handle with it)

//Eh... I feel so badly when i'm remembering recording of Okuplok map where i waited 48 minutes until i could continue my run. buuaahhh...

Azuruish said:

Well. Khm... One thing i know surely: If on map more than 1500 monsters or map is overloaded by details (tooooooooo much lines, tooooooo much textures and sectors, for example Sunder Map14 or Sunlust Map24 with Map30) then -skipsec will be work really poorly.

It must work but it will work as just with speed 500 or speed 600.
If you do UV-Speed or UV-MAX on such maps then ignore that command because it's not even help (engine can't handle with it)

//Eh... I feel so badly when i'm remembering recording of Okuplok map where i waited 48 minutes until i could continue my run. buuaahhh...

48 minutes? God... I see now why i was unable to use this command. Thanks a lot for reply :)

So I was building E1M8b TAS and this happened:
I can't transpose doom guy's movement on 81th frame on the demo with TR64 (nor TR128) but I can do it with TL64. For some reason Y momentum and Y position aren't the same and later results in lift getting stuck by the doomguy.

If you look the frames @ xdre2, the frames goes like this on trnspse1.lmp:

80: MF50 SL50
81: MF50 SR50 TL60 <-- Can't be transposed
82: MF50 SL50 TR69

And on trnspse2.lmp:

80: MF50 SL50
81: MF50 SL50 TR4 <-- transposed but desyncs
82: MF50 SL50 TR5

Coordinates and momentum on 81th frame trnspse1.lmp:
X pos: -361.128693 X mom: 6.205124
Y pos: -250.723297 Y mom: -7.908325

And on trnspse2.lmp:
X pos: -361.128693 X mom: 6.205124
Y pos: -250.723312 Y mom: -7.908340

For some reason, Y position and Y momentum are a bit different. I haven't seen such case before even though I have transposed doomguy's movement a lot (with TR64 TL64 and TR128=TL128).

Here are the demo files if you want to look at it yourself in replay editor.

trnspose.zip

Nice. Its good to see you improve my demo's always. The reason i am posting my demo's here is that i get better demos to improve myself ;D.

Scythe X Episode 01 UV-Speed in 1:28
Times:
MAP01 - 0:12.89 (0:12) K: 9/36 I: 0/11 S: 0/2
MAP02 - 0:21.86 (0:33) K: 20/57 I: 0/4 S: 0/3
MAP03 - 0:27.86 (1:00) K: 16/86 I: 0/12 S: 0/2
MAP04 - 0:19.97 (1:19) K: 11/86 I: 0/5 S: 0/3
MAP05 - 0:09.97 (1:28) K: 1/31 I: 0/5 S: 0/1

Been working on this for a bit of time. Episode 2 coming in soon!

Quick watch for the lazies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OCkIxRnozc

sxe1x128.zip