Blastfrog

Photographed weapons (WIP images)

thats beautiful! it keeps the id style, while having a totally different design

cant get it to work in game for some reason

This is excellent.

raymoohawk said:

thats beautiful! it keeps the id style, while having a totally different design

cant get it to work in game for some reason

Try adding S_START and S_END around the sprites.

This is really amazing, thanks!

One thing I wanted to ask though is about the colours of the muzzle flashes/fire of the new weapons. The old shotgun, chaingun and missile launcher have yellow-orange flashes, while the new shotgun and chaingun have reverted to the more reddish tint that is closer to the original Doom flashes:
https://github.com/freedoom/attic/blob/master/cheapalert/sprites_shotgun/shtfa0.gif?raw=true https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/master/sprites/sodaholic/shtfa0.gif?raw=true
https://github.com/freedoom/attic/blob/master/fredrik/minigun/chgfa0.gif?raw=true https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/master/sprites/sodaholic/chgfa0.gif?raw=true

Personally I like the yellow-orange colour range more, but the question here is primarily about the consistency between the different weapons, which I suppose should probably have the same/similar colours for all firearms. From the standpoint of compatibility brought up here, Doom-style colours are presumably more preferable.

Can will never mean should.

Having some constants, like the colour of a flame, will help tie the assets together, even if they've been drawn differently.

I also like the orange muzzleflash.

I'm not really satisfied with the muzzle flashes I can produce, hence why I nicked Eriance's on the missile launcher. If anyone wants to redo the flashes on my minigun and shotgun, I'd welcome it.

Sodaholic said:

As for rights issues, I took the photos myself so I own the rights to the images. Besides which, they're heavily edited and barely resemble their IRL counterparts.

If that was a thing, the original people of ID Software would have gotten in trouble when they did the exact same thing with most of their weapons in Doom to begin with. XD

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Awesome! Somehow reminds me of the Duke Nukem shotgun, maybe it's the reload handle

The toy appears to be modeled after the same type of shotgun as Duke 3D's shotgun, actually, the Winchester 1300 Defender. Compare to the original frames:

Speaking about the shotgun, I don't understand the desire to make the first flash bigger than the second. Smooth weapons mod did the same. I think the original way is more satisfying.

Da Werecat said:

Speaking about the shotgun, I don't understand the desire to make the first flash bigger than the second.

It implies that it's slamming out hard and then fizzling, makes it feel like it has more impact. Starting small and then growing makes the whole sequence feel like it's fizzling out.

I understand that it's mimicking the Doom shotgun animation, but the pump motion doesn't feel natural and it looks a bit choppy in-game.

A proposed solution is to just rotate them a bit so it doesn't point backwards.

I like that tweaked animation. How many degrees did you move each frame? It'd probably be better to use RotSprite to rotate instead of what you used.

Sodaholic said:

I like that tweaked animation. How many degrees did you move each frame? It'd probably be better to use RotSprite to rotate instead of what you used.

The second pump frame is 7 degrees, the third one is 12 degrees.

Guest Unregistered account

The grey Rocket Launcher looks great; really futuristic, and makes me think almost instantly of Doom 64.