Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Photographed weapons (WIP images)

Remember when I said I wanted to do some photo-based weapons? I finally got around to doing a few:

These are the only ones I've done so far. I've got to get a couple of sprite commissions finished, however, so these aren't my highest priority.

How are they so far?

I kind of like the chaingun, but what is the brown-gold bottom weapon supposed to be?

Avoozl said:

I kind of like the chaingun, but what is the brown-gold bottom weapon supposed to be?

Missile launcher. I could make it grey if people want it, but I made it brown to keep consistent with Freedoom's existing color scheme.

Worth noting that the chaingun is a 3-barrel one.

I like these. Especially the missile launcher, probably because the color makes it the least realistic-looking of all (which is a good thing imo).

So you're taking photos of real weapons for this? Is it okay by Freedoom's rules or it is theoretically possible that the manufacturer will complain?

Thanks for the compliments. :)

Memfis said:

So you're taking photos of real weapons for this? Is it okay by Freedoom's rules or it is theoretically possible that the manufacturer will complain?

Actually, toys. These ones, specifically. As for rights issues, I took the photos myself so I own the rights to the images. Besides which, they're heavily edited and barely resemble their IRL counterparts.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Imo it just needs a little more contrast(give it a shine, maybe?)

raymoohawk said:

i do think they need more shine

Yeah, I'll draw some highlights on them. I redid the shotgun as I wasn't satisfied with the size or shape. I drew highlights on this one.

They look nice. One long-standing issue with FreeDoom is that a few of the weapons (the super shotgun, the rocker launcher, the plasma gun, and the BFG) have pickups that don't look at all like the weapon while DoomGuy is carrying it.

There shouldn't be a legal issue with using a real item for the part; the Doom chainsaw, after all, was modeled from a real chainsaw.

Gotta say, Soda. That Shotgun right there came out quite nicely. Great work on the animation for it as well.

Very nice! The still frames look like they could use a little contrast. I could help with that if you'd like.

Hoy, hoy, I'm the boy, packing eighty pounds of heavenly joy...

(GIFs are a pain in the ass to manually assemble, not doing one this time around)

teh wad fiel, yo

raymoohawk said:

the idle frame is still lacking something i think

Can you specify what you feel that it's missing?

40oz said:

The still frames look like they could use a little contrast. I could help with that if you'd like.

Here's the lossless version, if you or anyone else would like to take a shot at editing it.

I can't let myself be distracted with this easy work anymore, time to get back on my other, harder spriting project.

I think the muzzleflashes and hand (possibly a glove like the other sprites) could use a little more attention, too. But other than that, I think you did a pretty great job with these.

These are looking great Sodaholic. Once they are cleaned up a bit, I think they'd be a nice addition to the project. Nice work!

Forgive me because I was pressed for time and did this in like, 10 minutes. I should probably do it again.

Not bad, actually. I tweaked it, reverted some bits (mostly so I don't have to redo the muzzle flashes), cleaned it up a bit and converted it to the Doom palette.

The square knob at the top/front looks highly plastic.

The reloading animation is a bit awkward with that vertical handle... hard to put my finger on what the problem is though.

I like the shotgun better than Doom's, but it needs a better muzzle flash (it is square and it's colors doesn't seem to fit).

Sorry for being offtopic but...I need to know.

What was the process you followed to capture the weapons? Any specifics on lightning/ambience/resolution? What camera you used for this?

Pretty awesome contribution, by the way.

I have other obligations, so I don't intend to work on these until further notice. If anyone wants anything done to the sprites, they'll have to edit them themselves.

IMX said:

Sorry for being offtopic but...I need to know.

Not off-topic at all, actually. No need to apologize.

IMX said:

What was the process you followed to capture the weapons? Any specifics on lightning/ambience/resolution? What camera you used for this?

I used a small floodlight pointed up at the ceiling in order to fill the room with a fair amount of ambient light from above (bouncing off the white ceiling). I used a cellphone camera. The images were gonna be scaled down and heavily modified by hand anyway, why use anything more expensive?

I rotated (and somtimes mirrored) the images to align as wanted, then scaled down to what I wanted it as in a 320x200 window. I turned everything greyscale. Muzzle flashes were taken from a picture of a gas stove running (my own). Then I drew highlight layers above the gun itself in key spots to be included in the image.

Shotgun:

The hands were translated to the brown range of the Doom palette in Slade 3 after converting my greyscale crop-out of the main image including only the hand. The remaining grayscale parts had their contrast increased and brightness lowered, nothing too fancy.

Minigun:

Brightness and contrast increased. I drew a white line along the mid-left part of the barrel, and a black line on the opposite side. I then Gaussian-blurred it by some amount, and set its layer to the "overlay" blend mode (I use Paint.NET).

For the B frame, the same was done to the left barrel, this was flipped and then inverted. After this, I deleted the parts of those lines along the plates. The blank spaces between those highlight and shadow lines give the illusion of being shinier than it really is. The actual toy has really dull plastic.

IMX said:

Pretty awesome contribution, by the way.

Thanks. :)

I think the new weapon sprites are good, but I feel they clash a little bit with the rest of FreeDoom's sprite style. I think modifying them to feel more 'hand drawn' would help.

my opinion is kinda the reverse, i think the older weapons should be updated

that said ill miss the rocket launcher having a handle

Though I still love the current pistol design to say the least, but I feel that raymoohawk's kind of right, some of the older weapons do feel in need of some love. But that's all a matter of opinion honestly.