Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Extermination Warrior

So does anybody actually own any Chinese copies of Doom? We have this one pic (it is the one to the far left) from Romero:
http://romero.smugmug.com/Video-Games/The-Archives/480_GtbLPv#!i=12524826&k=WCvJRGX

And the same kind of box is also present in id Software's display case, so they have a copy of it as well. Would like any kind of info and, ideally, front/back cover hi-res photos or scans.

Here's what we've found out so far, partially thanks to ConSiGno who apparently acquired magic Chinese reading powers from eating a radioactive fortune cookie:

The particular version pictured by Romero and with a copy held by id Software is Taiwanese, and was published by Kingformation Co, Ltd. (精訊資訊), a company that started out doing a little "friendly" unlicensed porting of games like the Dragon Quest series, which they released in Taiwan under the title of "Dragon Fighter." Their current hot item is "Game Master 9," which promises the ability to decompile, remote debug, snoop on networking protocols, and generally otherwise reverse engineer commercial games to generate cheats and avoid cheat detection. Some things never change I guess :P

I found some pictures with google on a biding site in Taiwan with Taiwanese DooM 1 5.25" diskette version. The 3.5" diskette seems like patch disk but don't know what version it'll be patched.

It also had a poster...

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21434023014723

Just scroll down and you'll see pictures.
(If pics are missing then I'll try to upload them if possible.)

I still try to find & asking DooMers in Taiwan about box-art of DooM 1&2(Yeah, there was a Taiwanese DooM 2 boxed version published by Kingformation too). But do not hold too much of breath. :p

/pointlessrent 1

Quasar said:

The particular version pictured by Romero and with a copy held by id Software is Taiwanese, and was published by Kingformation Co, Ltd. (精訊資訊), a company that started out doing a little "friendly" unlicensed porting of games like the Dragon Quest series, which they released in Taiwan under the title of "Dragon Fighter." Their current hot item is "Game Master 9," which promises the ability to decompile, remote debug, snoop on networking protocols, and generally otherwise reverse engineer commercial games to generate cheats and avoid cheat detection. Some things never change I guess :P

Enix was C&D their DQ3 port(after perceived their illegal DQ1&2 port and made money) but it still leaked, and buggy as hell, unable to complete the game without hacking & cheating.

Before Game Master(GM), in DOS era, Kingformation was released other cheating program named "Fix People Expert(FPE)"(I own a copy of the early version of it, 4.x), then change to GM when the author of FPE had to go into military.
(There was other cheating program they was publcalled named Game Buster 4 but I do not know about this one, and it seems earlier than FPE.)

Kingformation also published Princess Maker series in Taiwan too(up to 4 until the publish rights has been revoked by GENEX).

---

"Obliterator" published by Soft-World 軟體世界 / 智冠科技 in Taiwan also translated to "Extermination Warrior" for some reasons, stupid translators. :p

http://www.gamebase.com.tw/forum/30032/topic/92339853/1#1297166141

/pointlessrent 0

Sorry for the bump, but...

A Taiwanese Doomer named Rock1246 posted about his physical copy of "Extermination Warrior" -- Taiwan version of DooM 1 in TW-DooM Barracks clan's Facebook page.

Since it's on Facebook and needed members of that group to see those pictures so I uploaded them to other location for showed to your guys.

Warning : SHITLOADS of "shitty" picture in spoiler!

Spoiler

This boxed copy has 5 of 5.25" disks(03-1), instruction manual(04-1~04-5), poster(02-1) and "DooM HintBook"(05-1~05-7, minor of water-damaged but seems not affected pages inside) by Kingformation Co. LTD.

PS: 01-x showed about front of box(01-1), side/back of box(01-2), back of box(01-3) and all things in the box(01-4~01-5)

Too bad he don't have better methods and has bad picturing skill to take those pictures so they're not in "good (image) resolutions" for archival proposition, and I'm not sure if it's enough or not...

/troll
Are you happy, Quasar? :P

Sweet. First pic of the back of it, for one thing, which is something I was definitely looking for.

andrewj said:

The Quake games are translated as "Hammer of the Lightning God" -- heh.

Guess what, we have some games translated and started by "Extermination"...

Heretic : "Extermination Mage (毀滅法師)"
Well, in some cases, it was still translated to "Heretic" in Chinese(異教徒). And magician, warlock also translate to "法師" in some cases too.

Hexen : "Extermination Wizard (毀滅巫師)"
In some cases, this may confusing with Heretic because for some reasons, some translator decided use Extermaination Wizard.

Duke Nukem : "Extermination Duke (毀滅公爵)" (Perfectly fit I guess, even it's nothing to do with DooM and id software, also it was on Duke Nukem 3D's time so you know... :p)

Quasar said:

Sweet. First pic of the back of it, for one thing, which is something I was definitely looking for.

Nice to heard this. :D