Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qdash

Multiplayer fun or completely singleplayer expirience?

What do you like?

P.S. As for me, multiplayer is a KING. id Software traditions at first place.

Personally i'm mostly looking forward to the singleplayer part with old school fps gameplay and non-linear maps. Though, the multiplayer also suprised me because id hinted that it might be somewhat hardcore arena fps style, due to game modes such as Clan Arena. See Quake games for what Clan Arena is. It's no joke, i can tell you that much.

I like single player first to enjoy the game as a whole, get used to it etc, then multiplayer after that.

I don't like just hopping into multiplayer without beating the game first.

Single player is the main drive, but I think the old-school fast-paced multiplayer could be fun for me.

Well, I've mostly been a single-player gamer in my life but last year trying out id Software's non-Doom games I grew a soft spot for Quake and remembered how good I always thought old-style deathmatch is. I'm not so fond of classes or building turrets or whatever, I just want high-speed fragfests where skill is the only determining factor between winning or losing.

So with this new Doom and snapmap, well, it'll be my primary reason for getting a Playstation Plus subscription. Somewhat reluctantly but I have a PS4 and can't afford a proper gaming PC so that'll have to do until I can afford a proper gaming computer.

I'm bored with modern multiplayer. Unless they add jump-pads, rocket jumping, and ridiculously vertical maps I'm not interested.

Singleplayer all the way.

Flesh420 said:

I'd like to play some coop but no one's mentioned any thing about it.

It seems possible to create coop levels in Snap Map, but the "story mode" was referred to as single player, so I think we may be out of luck if we want to play through the game cooperatively. A shame as I loved playing coop through Doom/Doom 2.

i dont see why every game has to be both. one or the other is fine with me. co-op multiplayer in single player makes sense, but i'd rather have a complete product than two half baked concepts.

look at rage for example... the car racing multiplayer had good handling but was probably a missallocation of resources, bc the single player campaign has no third act really and needs another 5-10 hours or so fighting the authority. this is the main problem with the game... shouldve done the racing later as a dlc or something.

I never liked Clan Arena but I'm looking forward to all the other modes. I can see myself getting into this game regularly for a while if it has a solid player base.

I like having to find all the cool items and guns instead of starting with everything, but I can see the appeal of Clan Arena. It gets pretty damn tactical sometimes. Maybe if they started you with some of the weapons but you had to find the rocket launcher and powers, that'd be kinda cool. Then it starts to feel like a load out though...

potnop said:

I never liked Clan Arena but I'm looking forward to all the other modes. I can see myself getting into this game regularly for a while if it has a solid player base.

I like having to find all the cool items and guns instead of starting with everything, but I can see the appeal of Clan Arena. It gets pretty damn tactical sometimes. Maybe if they started you with some of the weapons but you had to find the rocket launcher and powers, that'd be kinda cool. Then it starts to feel like a load out though...

I'm neither a full lover of CA but what my point of message kinda was, that if there is gonna be CA in the new doom, it pretty much means on paper it's very anti modernfps, right? CA = rocketjumping etc, skillbased arena fps action. Hello quake.

Doom 3 was actually played competitively for atleast a while. Atleast before q4 came. If you search in youtube, there is quakecon ~2005 duel material from doom 3 and thus i expect that the doom 4 mp might also be *serious business*, as one might say.. Quake live is kinda done and we are now in same sitution pretty much as we were decade ago. Doom 4 is out soon but no word even from quake 5 yet. So they put effort on doom 4 mp.

I enjoyed both Q3A and QuakeLive quite a bit. I didn't get too hardcore--mostly stuck to free-for-all and team deathmatch--but the experience was absolutely thrilling. If neo-Doom can bring back that kind of intensity, then I'll be invested enough in multiplayer to give it a serious go. However, more than 99% of my Doom experiences have been of the single player variety, so the campaign mode is going to hold the most importance to me. I'm hoping there will be a really kickass co-op mode. I won't be able to play it on PC, and in fact I'll have to take the game to my buddy's house to play it on his PS4, because I rarely invest in expensive electronics! I mention this because two player split-screen co-op would be my only option for co-op, and I'm crossing my fingers that we'll get this feature in the console versions.

Multiplayer FPS games master race sells better and plays longer. That's it.

Clan Arena is pure salvation for QL, but this mod feels poor - no items, no timers, only aim. Good multiplayer is something more than simple shooting. I hope id can made something really good between old school and new school, because QL is still too hardcore for most gamers.

GoatLord said:

QL has items, what are you talking about?

Clan Arena - most popular game mode in QL. ;)

If it's leaning towards Doom 3's style I'm gonna stick to single player. The multiplayer in Doom 3 was alright but it doesn't live up to the good old Quake matches.

The thing I just don't like about Clan Arena is it basically removes about 75% of the game. Everyone has the same guns at all times, and everyone starts out using rails and rockets and lightning gun.

It kindof reminds me of counterstrike a bit but with less variety.

I mostly casually play FFA or Team Deathmatch, or a bit of competitive 1v1 with some friends. 1v1 is where it's at for me when it comes to competitive. It becomes like a chess match, controlling items, guessing where the other guy will be and where the teleport will take them so you can fire off a quick rocket somewhere, etc...

I think for me personally, Clan Arena would be a ton of fun if they just didn't start you will every weapon and leave the arena devoid of any items and powerups. I guess essentially round based Team Deathmatch.

I like Doom 3 deathmatch a bit, but it gets kindof meh after a while. I don't get the thrill I do from other games. I think it's just the weapon balance in that game is way off. The campaign suffers from weirdly balanced monster health and weapon damage where things like the machine gun take about half a clip to headshot an imp, and the shotgun absolutely requires you to be in something's face to actually do any damage.

That transfers over to multiplayer by having most of the normal weapons be peashooters that barely do any damage. Everyone bunnyhops all over the place and I'm taking potshots at them with the pistol, machine gun, or shotgun until I find the rocket launcher. And then essentially I feel like the rocket launcher is the only good weapon in Doom 3 for multiplayer. The plasma gun sucks and moves too slowly, especially with medium ping. The chaingnun is pretty good and much better than machine gun. Shotgun is only good if you are in someone's face. It's like goldeneye with really weak guns. Half-life suffered from this as well, which is why people mostly played Counterstrike and Day of Defeat and other mods that were actually fun and better balanced.

Quake 4 multiplayer felt pretty good to me but didn't take off too much. Lots of empty servers, and the lag feels shittier in that game than Quake Live. I played mostly Quake Live and Quake 3 the most out of all the id shooters in the last recent years.

I'm not really hoping for DooM 4 to be like Quake 3 at all. I'd rather play Quake for Quake and DooM for something else. I can see it being somewhat of a mix of Unreal Tournament with double jumping and all that, and basically, DooM...

I personally want and look forward to singleplayer fun. Multiplayer doesn't attract me.

Mapping/modding would be interesting if it was possible to do with high flexibility AND from scratch (without arbitrary limits and without dependance on prefabbed stuff).