Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

What hasn't been done yet?

If you're tired of same old techbases, hell castles and cities, what do you want to see then? Post your ideas for new settings here and maybe you will inspire some mapper.

We don't have enough wads taking place inside giant living organisms. Also, not enough space stations visibly hovering in free space.

I want to see more "monster origin" maps. Years back, I had been working on a map called "Mancubus Factory" but only got 40% through it. I can't imagine I'll ever see it through to fruition, so I don't mind sharing my idea here.

I can't say I'm tired of the same old themes. In fact, I like to see whatever gimmicks or things the mapper is able to do to keep the theme fresh and interesting.

I would like to see more steampunk stuff. Or cyberpunk, HacX was fucking awesome!

More abstract stuff - Specifically abstract stuff that doesn't require anything beyond what Vanilla Doom offers. Floating objects in outer space, twisted/warped geometry, and natural settings that look good AND don't cause vpos are all awesome. I realized recently one thing that I always want in a Doom map - Something interesting to explore and look at. (That's not to say plain is bad, but too much plain is. I'll keep this in mind for my future projects..)

Forests, swamps, jungles, anything with vegetation that isn't just window dressing bordering the playable area. I know it's a pain in the ass because you have to find sprites for everything, and sprite hitboxes are awkward, but those settings are so rare in Doom.

Well I do have a funky fun cyberpunk themed map set I want to make... I need lots of cyan and magenta textures though (I already have custom doomguy shades for it atleast and the music selected)

I guess it would be cool for someone to make a steampunk map or more cel-shaded looks to maps like in Action Doom 2

Also perhaps a good looking stylized anime mod or a cacodemon family sim with carrot farming and stuff...

I agree with Scifista's idea of fighting inside an organism or maybe a demon. Bonus points if the player never finds out until the end.

Also, western-themed wads because why the fuck not.

- Angry Doomguys
- The Binding of Doomguy
- Crash Doomicoot
- Super Doom Kart
- XDOOM: Enemy Within
- World of Doomcraft
- Doom Raid... oh wait, it has been done.

Anyway, the list is practically endless.

Shadow Warrior theme maps are so rare I've never seen one ever. I'm beginning to think they don't exist. I want them to though. I love that kind of downtown urban Japan feel it had early on and the kind of more traditional pagoda on a mountain with waterfalls and shit it had later on.

E1 styled maps that have the word outpost In the mapname.

Back when I first got into the community and messed around with slade and shit I wanted to make a yokai themed megawad, which would have "Shadow Warrior" type stuff in it I guess; If shadow warrior themed means Medieval Japanese.

Making sprites and and new textures for that idea will probably never be a thing though.

SavageCorona said:

Shadow Warrior theme maps are so rare I've never seen one ever. I'm beginning to think they don't exist. I want them to though. I love that kind of downtown urban Japan feel it had early on and the kind of more traditional pagoda on a mountain with waterfalls and shit it had later on.

Aside from that map in Deus Vult 2 I can't think of any other oriental-themed maps, so yeah, there should be more of them.

VGA said:

I would like to see more steampunk stuff. Or cyberpunk, HacX was fucking awesome!

I agree with the steampunk theme, I had the idea to create a steampunk map but could not find enough good textures.

In addition steampunk is all spinning gears and airships (more or less) which are not so simple to render in Doom.

Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Mayan, Inca, Aztec and the like cities.

Forests, mountains, alien world surfaces - key word: surfaces, meaning outside.

Fantastical structures and fortresses the likes of which have never existed in our world (think Lord of the Rings).

Incomprehensible parallel dimensions (think Hell Ground MAP04 for a tame example).

Any theme the mapper can think of that I can't.

I'm pretty sure the Egyptian theme has been done to death by now, so I dissagree with you there. I've only ever seen 1 Aztec/Mayan themed map before from way back in 1994, but I'm pretty sure there are a few others. I'm pretty unfamiliar with any Greek/Roman themed maps but I can't believe that there aren't any out there, it seems like it would be quite a popular theme to me. Inca themed maps are pretty non existent as far as I know, which is a shame because I think it would make for quite a nice theme.

Some others I would suggest would be a Pueblo Indian themed map, the city built into the side of a cliff is quite a cool concept for a map I think. Some others I haven't seen are Arabic, Indian, Japanese, Cambodian (specifically ones with an Angkor Wat setting), Victorian England. I mean really there are tones of cool settings to choose from quit making Egypt all the time.

Pirate Doom was a great Pirate themed map & it made me wonder what else could be done well, I think the old west theme has been done well many times, but others such as Viking Doom, Medieval Doom, or Ancient Chinese Doom just haven't been done that much, if ever.

Some other themes I'd like to see happen would be Rainforest Doom or Mangrove Swap Doom, why does it have to be Winter & Desert themed maps all the time. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Monster origin maps has been mentioned.

Never seen a good Half Life: Opposing Force style bootcamp map done in doom, I always loved the idea of training maps that not only ooze atmosphere and setting but actually function well as a training system.

Jaws In Space said:

I mean really there are tones of cool settings to choose from quit making Egypt all the time.

I think we've mainly just seen a lot of Egyptian maps because a few Historically Significant WADs(TM) like Brotherhood of Ruin, Scythe II, and Epic 2 have collected enough Egyptian or Egypt-compatible textures that it's easy to get started with, and seeing other maps done in that style is an obvious starting point for inspiration. Plus, the style works well with square blocks, so the absence of slopes isn't a barrier.

I'd love to see more texture sets made (or ported from other games) for all sorts of other themes in Doom, for sure. All the settings you described would be super awesome to see.

Forest and jungle themes would be good to see more of. There have been a few attempts made to go beyond the super-abstract "just put zimmer on everything" Plutonia "jungle" style, but I haven't seen any real knockout successes yet.

Cyberpunk stuff is rad. I'm happy to be seeing more vivid colors and unusual color combinations recently, like in Ribbiks' wads. People seem a bit more willing to experiment with the color palette nowadays.

Jaws In Space said:

Viking Doom

The Celts, the Germanic tribes, their cousins and the later Norsemen are celebrated for many things. Their architectural prowess is not one of those things.

I don't think I've ever heard of a Greek or Roman wad honestly, so that would be nice. I approve of your idea of taking a cue from Ancient Asia, though. Also why not Sub-Saharan Africa.

More cyberpunk is also a Good idea. I WOULD throw in Ocean Depths Doom, but there's an obvious problem with that. Although, maybe Swim With the Whales counts...?

Bloody Steel MAP07 it's a really cool map with a roman theme.
To make Greek/Roman stuff what it really lacks is specific decorations; as basically bricks, stone and marble textures are what you need. Hexen II has a Roman/Greek episode, there is some cool stuff in there.

scifista42 said:

We don't have enough wads taking place inside giant living organisms.

Nova II MAP25 - Parasite Hive

I'm sure there are wads with some of these things already, but I'd love to see more beaches, more jungles, more hi-tech alien ruins, more time-travel, and a map that takes place onboard a massive submarine.

Space bases have been done to death, but I always wanted to see a retro style space shuttle with big smooth plastic components and wood paneling. Like a 2001/Alien sort of ship.