Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

What hasn't been done yet?

I would really like to see maps that focus on strange alien worlds (like purple mountains and shit) and some more odd dream styled maps...

I'm making one for WOOO 3 that is set in a strange fringe located between terrible maximum doom wads.

I don't think we have enough ghost ship themed maps.

Thought about that after watching one of the videos of Danger Dolan.

I'm sure most of these have been done before, but these are ideas I like to see:

How about a maze that changes around you as you go through it. I know most people hate mazes and they can be so cruel, but I always liked the idea of levels that change around you as you play them.

I like maps like Wormhole off TNT because the concept is interesting. It's cool to see how different the same layout can be.

Also, somebody before mentioned having a tiny player, or giant world. I like the ideas of both a giant world and a tiny world.

Maps that feature multiple paths where you can only take one, or are different each time you play them. AKA replay value.

Maps that feature good stealth sections and picking your battles, or at least a good, strategic point to begin the carnage.

How about a Natural Selection-type multiplayer mod where you could either play a marine or one of the monsters?

I can hardly imagine the amount of scripting that would involve though...

molten_ said:

I feel like we don't see enough usage of sky floors, like in hellbound map25

Well Good News, My Megawad I'm Developing Will Contain Plenty Of Them.

tomatoKetchup said:

How about a Natural Selection-type multiplayer mod where you could either play a marine or one of the monsters?

I can hardly imagine the amount of scripting that would involve though...

There's already something similar to that idea which is called Master of Puppets. ;)

Master of Puppets is an addon to Complex Doom made by a Russian guy. You can play it on zandronum.

I think there is a MOP made for vanilla monsters but it sucks

An entire megawad consisting solely of real life type places (Airport, apartment complex, subway, etc) that strictly uses the DOOM2 texture set and only the sky textures changed?

Glaice said:

An entire megawad consisting solely of real life type places (Airport, apartment complex, subway, etc) that strictly uses the DOOM2 texture set and only the sky textures changed?

that is a terrible idea, there's no reason to use stock textures having some much stuff online. Purposely limiting yourself when mapping is nonsense. You could never make that kind of places look good with a space base texture set. Let alone hell or the crappy "city" textures.

Awesome thanks for the links cupcake :)
(wow that sounds weird, lol)

I always liked the idea of a counter-operative mode ever since Perfect Dark 64 had one. I will have to look into this more later

*Edit*

Lycaon said:

that is a terrible idea, there's no reason to use stock textures having some much stuff online. Purposely limiting yourself when mapping is nonsense. You could never make that kind of places look good with a space base texture set. Let alone hell or the crappy "city" textures.

I respect your position bro, but I like the idea of limiting oneself in mapping. Also, through the use of zDooms features that wouldn't be quite so much of a stretch. 3D floors, slopes, and some clever designing could make some pretty interesting and somewhat real-looking environments.

Fonze said:

I always liked the idea of a counter-operative mode ever since Perfect Dark 64 had one.

What is this counter-operative mode?

Yup.

In Perfect Dark 64 (basically like Goldeneye) the second player would replace one of the regular enemies with whatever gun he was holding. Shit was hilarious because the other player could rarely tell it was you if you moved the right way. Well, til you shot em repeatedly in the head ;p But in that the second player only got a few lives and got weaker each life.

I find that concept much more interesting than a simple deathmatch. Idk, maybe it's the hundreds of hours logged into counter-strike and other similar games.

Jaxxoon R said:

I dunno, a 2-player mode where one player fights alongside the monsters?

That's actually a great idea. I imagine an invasion-type map, with the player that fights alongside the monster being some kind of necromancer or acolyte that has more limited movement and slower attacks, but also lots of summons and the ability to go completely invisible from time to time.

I have never played that, or many other multiplayer mod for that matter. I mostly play single player, and when I play multiplayer it's usually Complex Doom.

Jaxxoon R said:

I dunno, a 2-player mode where one player fights alongside the monsters?

Master of Puppets. It's a fairly popular mod alongside the inexplicably also popular Complex Doom mod. Though it allows for more than 2 players.

SavageCorona said:

Master of Puppets. It's a fairly popular mod alongside the inexplicably also popular Complex Doom mod. Though it allows for more than 2 players.

Inexplicably? It's a great mod, very coherent both gampley-wise and aestethically, very fun, with a lot of new stuff to stir up classic wads. I think that's a pretty solid explanation right there. I honestly cannot think of one negative aspect of it.

I mean inexplicably by the fact it just started popping up on servers out of nowhere and now every single server on Zandronum is playing it.

I've also tried to see what the fuss is, mainly getting told it's "really hard" and the difficulty comes from the fact it's very imbalanced on the hardest mode. Reminds me of another "really hard" mod that's just hard because it's imbalanced.

I don't like it because it's hard. In fact, with enough players, it isn't. Something being hard doesn't mean anything to me. I like it becaue of the random weapon spawn system, that allows player to get unique weapons from monsters that will place them in a singular role for the team, since nobody else has that weapon. Also the mini-boss type enemies add a lot of variety to a lot of maps that do not have boss fights to begin with.

Glaice said:

aren't this one of the billion CP that joe-ilya put in the forums long time ago?

Glaice said:

Hellbound is pretty close to this, at least in the first 2 episodes.

Inside a giant chipset, with the chassy and floating motherboards as sky? Anything really abstract yet still thematic is really cool (swim with the whales, etc). A stave church or wooden earth huts would be really tough to carry across convincingly. Carved wooden theme could be used for something cool.

Urban sci-fi/dark future maps. (eg. Soulcrusher, Dark Tartarus)
Tron-inspired maps that aren't just plain grids. (eg. Mandrill, Cybercrime, Doom Reinforced)
Duke 3D-style city maps with those textures or other good looking ones. (eg. City Assault, After the Holocaust, Dawn of Reality, Final NeoDoom)